Sheffield man imprisoned for child's death fall

That building has been a disaster from day one. When it was built they couldnt decide what postcode it was so it had three different postcodes and two of them were in totally different postal sectors to the other.

They also concreted over the water meters so nobody could get accurate water bills.

Call me sceptical but I find that hard to believe.

And what does the post-code (singular or plural) have to do with this tragedy?

What I cannot understand though about this sad state of affairs is why the family of the little girl A) Did not report this missing glass panel and B) let a young child onto the balcony on her own anyhow.

Apparently the girl was playing in the communal garden on the 4th floor (they lived on the 8th), so they weren't to know the panel was broken or it was unsafe for a child to play in a communal garden.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 14:37 ----------

You are quite right - gross negligence is more accurate. I just find it so hard to understand how someone could make that decision - it leaves me totally baffled - so sorry for the little girl's family.

I think the rationale on the maintenance worker's part is that he replaced a panel in a high risk location with one which was in a less risky location-then promptly forgotten to finish the job off. It's very sad for all involved, and he's paid a heavy price for his oversight, this is a classic case of someone wishing the could turn the clock back and create a different outcome.

Apparently the girl was playing in the communal garden on the 4th floor (they lived on the 8th), so they weren't to know the panel was broken or it was unsafe for a child to play in a communal garden.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 14:37 ----------

I think the rationale on the maintenance worker's part is that he replaced a panel in a high risk location with one which was in a less risky location-then promptly forgotten to finish the job off. It's very sad for all involved, and he's paid a heavy price for his oversight, this is a classic case of someone wishing the could turn the clock back and create a different outcome.

They (the parents) did know about the missing panel and still let het go onto the area. Awful situation, parents were negligent also. Awful situation for all involved :(

Call me sceptical but I find that hard to believe.

And what does the post-code (singular or plural) have to do with this tragedy?

It doesnt, I was merely saying the building has been a disaster since it opened and this now just compounds it.

As for the water meters, I know someone who lives there. Took him 2 years to get his first accurate water bill.

They (the parents) did know about the missing panel and still let het go onto the area. Awful situation, parents were negligent also. Awful situation for all involved :(

In the report I read the mother said she was unaware of the missing panel.

I am astonished to hear this as nothing like this has been reported. Are you able to substantiate your claim that the mother was negligent?

What I cannot understand though about this sad state of affairs is why the family of the little girl A) Did not report this missing glass panel and B) let a young child onto the balcony on her own anyhow.

Classic victim blaming, how repulsive.

How is questioning the circumstances blaming the victim or repulsive?

here is what the Star reported

Both Ms Fatle and Ryaheen’s father Hikmat, who came to Sheffield from Iraq in March 2011 so Mr Banimuslem could study for a PhD at Sheffield Hallam University, also said they had seen panels missing previously and were concerned.

On one occasion they moved a bench in front of a gap to cover it.

So I agree that the parents should have been more careful but the verdict was correct.

Classic victim blaming, how repulsive.

In the report I read the mother said she was unaware of the missing panel.

I am astonished to hear this as nothing like this has been reported. Are you able to substantiate your claim that the mother was negligent?

Speaking through an interpreter, Mrs Fatle said she had noticed a gap in the walkway barrier about two weeks before and and put a bench in front of it.

'It was clear to all people and was seen to all,' she said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2547376/Toddler-fell-60ft-death-maintenance-worker-removed-glass-panel-walkway-didnt-replace-it.html#ixzz2teTlP9MD

I'm sorry but whilst I agree with the courts verdict, the mother has a portion of the blame here. Knowing the situation was dangerous she still allowed her child to go play.

If I knew there was panels missing on a building I lived on I would have been on the phone all day to the building owners, the council, health and safety or the fire brigade until someone came and fixed it.

Failing that I would be buying boards and blocking it myself and then billing the owner.

Heaven forbid Parents should have to take responsibility for there kids.

I'm sorry but whilst I agree with the courts verdict, the mother has a portion of the blame here. Knowing the situation was dangerous she still allowed her child to go play.

She knew the situation was 'dangerous', two weeks before the incident-so 'put a bench in front of it', presumably had she seen the panel missing on the day of the incident she would have done the same thing, but it appears she was unaware of the continuing problem-

"Mrs Fatle, who said she rarely used the garden and would not have gone there if she knew the barrier was missing, said she was planning to leave the flats because of her safety fears."

I think the rationale on the maintenance worker's part is that he replaced a panel in a high risk location with one which was in a less risky location

The BBC's wording of it was 'a prominent' position.

Indicating it was more noticeable that the panel was broken.

It makes no mention of it being higher risk, although it could have been.