Tourist bus blown up in Egypt

What's your point Emma?

That would be that Islamists targeting tourists and killing them in large numbers isn't an unusual occurrence. Do you have an opinion on that?

Perhaps you or mel will come up with an excuse for the killing.

Perhaps this one too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/17/newsid_2519000/2519581.stm

1997: Egyptian militants kill tourists at Luxor

More than 60 people have been killed after an attack on a group of foreign tourists visiting a temple in southern Egypt.

The tourists' bus was fired on as they visited the temple of Hatshepsut, one of the main attractions in the town of Luxor in southern Egypt.

An Egyptian police spokesman said most of the dead were Swiss and Japanese tourists.

The spokesman said the six gunmen were killed in an ensuing two-hour gun battle with police.

According to initial figures released by Egypt's interior ministry, 57 tourists, a local guide and two policemen died in the attack.

Other reports say the number of people who have been killed could rise to 75 with up to 85 people injured.

An Islamic extremist group, the outlawed al-Gamaa al-Islamiya, is reported to have said it carried out the attack.

Tourists targeted

It came as 65 alleged members of the Islamic group went on trial in Cairo accused of conspiracy to murder.

Islamic militants have targeted tourists since beginning a campaign in 1992 to topple the government of Hosni Mubarak and set up a strict Islamic state.

Two months ago, nine Germans and an Egyptian driver were killed when gunmen opened fire on a bus in Cairo.

Two men have since been sentenced to death for the shootings.

Luxor, about 310 miles (500 km) south of Cairo, is visited by about two million tourists a year.

It has not previously been attacked by militants who have strongholds in other parts of southern Egypt.

In the past five years, attacks by militants have seen 34 foreign tourists killed and cost a total of more than a thousand lives.

Edited by emma royd

That would be that Islamists targeting tourists and killing them in large numbers isn't an unusual occurrence.

who said they weren't? Speaking as somebody who has not only visited Egypt about 15 times, but who also was actually on a bus on the way to Luxor on the very day the massacre took place in 1997 and who visited the site (which opened up again to the public the very next day) a couple of days afterwards when they still hadn't quite got round to cleaning up all the dried blood off the floor, I don't need a copy and paste lecture on the matter from a cretin like you.

who said they weren't? Speaking as somebody who has not only visited Egypt about 15 times, but who also was actually on a bus on the way to Luxor on the very day the massacre took place in 1997 and who visited the site (which opened up again to the public the very next day) a couple of days afterwards when they still hadn't quite got round to cleaning up all the dried blood off the floor, I don't need a copy and paste lecture on the matter from a cretin like you.

Ah yes. Lose the argument and resort to cheap insults. This from the poster who claims to live in the Philippines and yet posts on UK time. No doubt you were there for the Kennedy assassination as well as the moon landings too. Perhaps you should look in the mirror if you want to see a cretin.

By the way as I was responding once again to a post by someone else it is hardly lecturing you. I think you need to go back to your nursery and suck your dummy some more.

Edited by emma royd

Mod Note

The personal comments can stop now please, kindly discuss the topic without calling each other names.

This from the poster who claims to live in the Philippines and yet posts on UK time.

just what, exactly, is 'UK time' supposed to be then? And what prevents me from posting at 4am in the Philippines, if that is what I want to do? Everyone here gets out of bed much earlier than people tend to do in the UK. Philippines is now 8 hours ahead of GMT, therefore it is only 8.50pm here at the minute. That will change on the last Sunday of next month, when the UK goes over to BST. Then we will only be 7 hours ahead.

deliberate targeting of foreign tourists is just comparitively rare. Apart from Egypt, there has been the occasional isolated case of somebody getting shot dead by some Islamist nut at one of the sites in Jordan (Jerash, I think) a few years ago, which stood out for me as being something pretty unusual, for Jordan. Then there have been the various attacks against Israeli tourists who long ago stopped going to Sinai and switched to other destinations, like Kenya. Then there were the two Bali bombings both of which are now quite a long time ago. Or even just last year, three foreigners were kidnapped right here in the Philippines, by Abu Sayaf, but that was only because they were so dumb, the kidnappers do not know that the best targets for them, with their having the best chance of securing the ransom they want, are rich Chinese Filipinos, who know they are vulnerable and tend to employ heavily armed bodyguards everywhere they go, unlike idiot butterly-collector tourists who don't realise that Tawi-Tawi is no place for any foreigner to be.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/gunmen-kidnap-tourists-in-philippines-6297857.html

This from the poster who claims to live in the Philippines and yet posts on UK time.

just what, exactly, is 'UK time' supposed to be then? And what prevents me from posting at 4am in the Philippines, if that is what I want to do? Everyone here gets out of bed much earlier than people tend to do in the UK. Philippines is now 8 hours ahead of GMT, therefore it is only 8.50pm here at the minute. That will change on the last Sunday of next month, when the UK goes over to BST. Then we will only be 7 hours ahead.

You can claim anything you like. You can probably image that some posters believe you. I know that you are full of crap and so do most of the others. You should perhaps bare that in mind when you are playing out your fantasy. What a full life you must lead posting on Sheffield Forum all night from around the world. So why not go the whole hog next time and tell everyone how you know best because you lived on Mars for a few weeks. Your views are no more valid than anyone else's, and no amount of your bullcrap will alter that.

Edited by emma royd

11.50am in the Philippines is 3.50am in the UK. Copying and pasting stuff, whenever the name of a Muslim majority country like Egypt comes up in a topic header, just so you can feel better about yourself because you want to demonise Islam in general, does not count, as a 'view'. Attacks specifically directed against tourists are not unknown in Egypt, and they have been taking place for a long time. But Egypt is unusual. Terrorists do not usually direct attacks specifically against tourists. Take Thailand for example. They get nearly 20 million tourists, every year, more than Egypt gets, and they have had a full-on Islamic (although not Islamist) insurgency going on which has killed thousands of people, for the past 10 years. But there has never been one time, not one, where tourists have been targeted. Though a number of tourists have been killed in various attacks in southernmost Thailand over the years, they were just innocent bystanders who could have been anybody. They were not specifically targeted, because they were tourists, like tourists can be in Egypt.

11.50am in the Philippines is 3.50am in the UK. Copying and pasting stuff, whenever the name of a Muslim majority country like Egypt comes up in a topic header, just so you can feel better about yourself because you want to demonise Islam in general, does not count, as a 'view'. Attacks specifically directed against tourists are not unknown in Egypt, and they have been taking place for a long time. But Egypt is unusual. Terrorists do not usually direct attacks specifically against tourists. Take Thailand for example. They get nearly 20 million tourists, every year, more than Egypt gets, and they have had a full-on Islamic (although not Islamist) insurgency going on which has killed thousands of people, for the past 10 years. But there has never been one time, not one, where tourists have been targeted. Though a number of tourists have been killed in various attacks in southernmost Thailand over the years, they were just innocent bystanders who could have been anybody. They were not specifically targeted, because they were tourists, like tourists can be in Egypt.

I fully expected you to stop up late to try to convince folk of your time zone. We all know that you are a fake and your pathetic attempt to redeme the situation was as obvious as you posts.

On a thread about Islamic militants targeting tourists I will post what I want about Islamic Terrorists targeting tourists and you and your fellow excuse makers won't stop me.

On December 28, 1998, 16 tourists (11 Britons, two Americans, two Australians and one Canadian) were kidnapped in Abyan Governorate, Yemen. They had been travelling in a convoy of five vehicles when they were attacked; a British tourist and a Yemeni guide escaped while the kidnappers took the hostages to al-Wadi'a, 250 miles south of Sana'a.

The next day, 200 Yemeni troops surrounded the kidnappers and the hostages in Al Wade'a District. Yemeni troops then stormed the kidnappers' hideout, and in the resulting gunbattle four hostages were killed and two were injured. Two kidnappers were killed and four arrested. The dead hostages were Britons Margaret Whitehouse, Ruth Williamson, Canadian Peter Rowe, and Australian Andrew Thirsk.

Two kidnappers were also killed in the gunbattle, and four arrested. The men belonged to the Aden-Abyan Islamic Army.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23018706

23 June 2013. Gunmen have killed 10 people, including at least nine foreign tourists, after storming a hotel in northern Pakistan.

The nationalities of the victims have not been fully confirmed, although they include a number of Ukrainians and Chinese. One Pakistani also died.

The assault happened at the base camp of Nanga Parbat, the world's ninth highest mountain, in Gilgit-Baltistan.

It is the first such attack on tourists in the region. The Pakistani Taliban has told the BBC it was responsible.

A spokesman for Tehrik-e-Taliban said the attack was in retaliation for the killing of its second-in-command, Waliur Rehman, who died in a suspected US drone strike in May.

The group said it would continue to target foreigners.

Edited by emma royd

unless you were planning already, to take your next vacation in Pakistan, then that ought not to be anything to concern yourself with then should it.

in Egypt and also anywhere in Egypt, I would think twice now and I would not go. The turmoil in north Africa in general, not just Egypt, is quite considerable anyway at the moment - obviously.

unless you were planning already, to take your next vacation in Pakistan, then that ought not to be anything to concern yourself with then should it.

in Egypt and also anywhere in Egypt, I would think twice now and I would not go. The turmoil in north Africa in general, not just Egypt, is quite considerable anyway at the moment - obviously.

But then you are just ignoring the shoe bomber and the Lockerbie crash. Both Islamist attacks on tourist flights. One successful the other only foiled becuse the bomb failed to explode.

"On December 22, 2001, al-Qaeda operative Richard Reid attempted to detonate explosives packed into the shoes he was wearing, while on American Airlines Flight 63 from Paris to Miami. In 2002, Reid pleaded guilty in U.S. federal court to eight criminal counts of terrorism, based on his attempt to destroy a commercial aircraft in-flight. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole and is held in a super maximum security prison in the United States.

I will be going to sharm in april,not going to let the Islamist nutters stop me and mine from having a nice holiday in the sun.:)

I will be going to sharm in april,not going to let the Islamist nutters stop me and mine from having a nice holiday in the sun.:)

That's the spirit. Its like riding a motor bike without a crash helmet or driving without a seat belt. It's only a problem when things go wrong and your number comes up.