Do I Display "£RRP" or "£SSP"?

Does anyone know what abbreviation should be displayed these days on prices if showing a recommended retail price (RRP) on products?

Is it RRP or SSP (suggested selling price)?

Ive seen both used now, and was wondering if SSP is now replacing RRP (for terminology reasons).

I can't answer your question but I'm going to make a comment from a potential customer point of view. I prefer just to see the price I'm going to pay. I feel it smacks of desperation to put the RRP (or whatever) against the price I'm going to pay. It makes it look like someone is trying too hard to make me think I'm getting a good deal.

OP what you selling and to who?

Im actually inquiring on behalf of a friend who is selling some clothes on an internet site. He's asked me as I work in marketing...and even im not sure - I thought RRP was still commonly used and although I have seen SSP (or is it SRP), ive not noticed it as much as RRP.

I suggested he asked the question on here but as he doesnt have an account, im asking for him...

Edited by jm79

I'd just put the price of the item. When shopping online if I see a t-shirt or something I like, I just want to know how much it is, simple. I couldn't care if the RRP is £40 and I'm paying £20. If I like it and the price is ok I'll buy it. Everyone knows the RRP are overly inflated prices based on a certain profit margins.

As Chez2 says, it just stinks of desperation to include one. It's like a false deal, as 99% of the time the price is much less than the RRP. Consumers are getting smarter and more savvy, this seems like an outdated trick that most people are wise to these days. It's like TKMAXX, saying a jackets rrp is £450 and selling it for £50 really isn't fooling anyone ! I thought you'd know this being in marketing yourself ?

Yep completely agree with everyones view on rrp and as a marketeer myself i dont use it for similar reasons. However if anyone can offer an answer on the question to satisfy my friends desire/need to use it, please post below.

RRP and SSP are really only used where the manufacturer isn't selling directly to the public (and therefore isn't setting the price to the end customer) but needs some kind of price for marketing purposes

RRP is also used to work out the dealer's buy price by way of a % discount. However as consumers became used to discounts being given and RRP no longer being realistic, SSP was introduced to represent what the manufacturer expected to be approx the selling price in order to look more competitive.

That said I completely agree with the comments above. If your friend is selling direct to the end customer then just give the price or a starting price if it's an auction

RRP and SSP are really only used where the manufacturer isn't selling directly to the public (and therefore isn't setting the price to the end customer) but needs some kind of price for marketing purposes

RRP is also used to work out the dealer's buy price by way of a % discount. However as consumers became used to discounts being given and RRP no longer being realistic, SSP was introduced to represent what the manufacturer expected to be approx the selling price in order to look more competitive.

That said I completely agree with the comments above. If your friend is selling direct to the end customer then just give the price or a starting price if it's an auction

Spot on...I was about to write this myself...but you've saved me the effort :hihi: