The Ski Village

As our lad James Woods gets ready to ski for a medal at the Olympics.

(the final of the slope style skiing is on at 09:30 this morning)

Spare a thought for the the place where he got started....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-24742960

What a mess. Both the "local businessman" Kevin Pullan AND SCC are to blame.

I wish I had the money to re open it to it's former glory. Best days ever xxx

I wish I had the money to re open it to it's former glory. Best days ever xxx
I agree, learnt to board there, really wish that when the plans came out years ago to turn it from a dry slope to a massive indoor slope with snow and a cable car from infirmary road it had got the backers to go ahead, that was years before places like xscape had even been dreamed of.

I had lessons there before my first snowboarding holiday, we go several times a year now. If it hadn't been for the convenience of that slope I might never have discovered snow sports holidays!

I agree, learnt to board there, really wish that when the plans came out years ago to turn it from a dry slope to a massive indoor slope with snow and a cable car from infirmary road it had got the backers to go ahead, that was years before places like xscape had even been dreamed of.

It is a crying shame this never got going.

I guess two sides to every story but it does sound like SCC were the main obstacle here.

But perhaps the site should have been sold to a larger corporate concern than a dodgy local builder .

We now have to drive to Manchester to go on their tiny overcrowded indoor slope. Which cost a reputed £ 31 million to build...

I'm sure the NHS will be quite glad to see it closed if you look at the catalogue of injuries suffered by the various athletes who claim to have started off there before progressing to the Winter Olympics. And they're the ones who are supposed to be good at it...

Yes, because the injuries at the highest level in the Olympics are a) the responsibility of the NHS and b) the same injuries that occur at a recreational dry slope.

I'm sure the NHS are quite happy to treat sporting injuries. Means the person is leading an active lifestyle and less likely to have chronic health and expensive long term problems

---------- Post added 13-02-2014 at 10:08 ----------

Such as shame about the ski village. All the interviews with the skiing people were complaining about how small the indoor slopes are at castleford excape, etc. The Ski Slope used to have its own half-pipe and mogul run for example.

We now have to drive to Manchester to go on their tiny overcrowded indoor slope. Which cost a reputed £ 31 million to build...

Have you tried Xscape at Castleford?

I have visited in the past but we ended up in Manc more recently as was about the same time to drive , its a longer slope , and they were way more helpful in sorting out lessons...

But for anyone other than a beginner , both slopes are so short you are down in mere seconds. You spend more time queuing for the lifts than skiing.

Sheffield in its prime was a very good dry slope. With the water sprays it was not too far off skiing on real snow (albeit more painful to fall on).

If they had had the funds and council vision/support to convert to a very long indoor real snow slope it surely would have done really well.

Sheffield in its prime was a very good dry slope.

Yes,it was, my daughter learned to snow board there....just a bit uncomfortable when you fell down..

I would love an Xscape here in Sheffield.