UK to spend 2500 MILLION pound on F35fighter project

Actually, it would have led to an unprecedented era of peace and cooperation.

:hihi: yes, human history right up to the advent of nuclear weapons was all peace and cooperation!

The French!

You've been watching those reruns of Yes Prime Minister again haven't you? :)

You've been watching those reruns of Yes Prime Minister again haven't you? :)

From memory:

Sir Humphrey - The Americans invented the bomb, so the Russians had to have it. The Russians had the bomb so the Chinese had to have it. China had the bomb so India had to have it. India had the bomb so Pakistan had to have it.

Hacker - What about us, why do we need the bomb?

Sir Humphrey - Because the French have it!

From memory:

Sir Humphrey - The Americans invented the bomb, so the Russians had to have it. The Russians had the bomb so the Chinese had to have it. China had the bomb so India had to have it. India had the bomb so Pakistan had to have it.

Hacker - What about us, why do we need the bomb?

Sir Humphrey - Because the French have it!

Still watch it occasionally on Sky. Only difference is first time around I thought it was a comedy, subsequent events have shown it was actually a documentary. :o:)

Still watch it occasionally on Sky. Only difference is first time around I thought it was a comedy, subsequent events have shown it was actually a documentary. :o:)

Sir Humphrey is a hero of mine. I think that you can trace the decline of our great nation down to the moment that spin doctors wrestled power away from the civil service.

Sir Humphrey is a hero of mine. I think that you can trace the decline of our great nation down to the moment that spin doctors wrestled power away from the civil service.

You may well have a point. Someone once described politics as show business for ugly people.

I don't know who it was but I'm almost certain it will have been an American.

We tend to prefer our politicians low key and serious. The influence of Alistair Campbell and his ilk has changed all that.

Look at all the politicians rolling up at the Somerset floods. To what purpose? Pure media driven photo opportunities with no practical use whatsoever.

As to the OP, the problem with military spending has always been that it tends to be spent on items that would have been good to have in the last conflict, and then turn out to be virtually useless in the next conflict. :(

and then turn out to be virtually useless in the next conflict. :(

You can never be sure of what the next conflict will be. Having nuclear weapons and the other toys of mass destruction covers us for the worst case scenario.

Edited by Guest

You can never be sure of what the next conflict will be. Having nuclear weapons and the other toys of mass destruction covers us from the worst case scenario.

The problem is that this country has a foreign debt of £7.3 Trillion, which is 7,300.000.000.000. That's a lot of debt, we have virtually no possibility of ever clearing that dept, only servicing the interest for ever and ever amen.

It would therefore be a good idea in my view to think very hard about any future expenditure.

Obviously, it would have been a good idea to have done that 20 years ago, but as they say, 'we are where we are'.

Surely, it would make sense to agree with other European Nations that the lessons of history have been learned, and what took place in the past will never be repeated.

Once it is agreed that no matter what the circumstances, arbitration will replace warfare, and no two European Nations will ever take up arms against each other again. At that point we can move on together.

Then every European country could share the cost of deterrent. We would be in a position to avoid duplication of what, in essence, is material we all hope we'll never need.

As an island nation Britain has always been in the top two or three maritime nations so we would be mainly responsible for naval affairs with limited back up land capable marine type troops. France and Germany have always been preeminent in land based operations, Italy in mountain warfare and frogman type operations and so on.

No nation would be left out and any aggressor looking at any part of Europe would know they were on a hiding to nothing.

And everyone would save a shed load of money, which considering we're all skint is a result not to be dismissed.

I really don't know why GCHQ haven't been in touch to request future analysis options. :D

It is the way of the world we live in, we need a bit of kit to defend our homeland and it's interests. BUT!! i think what we did NOT need, was to throw billions of the UK taxpayers money on war on the other side of the world, trying to be world police alongside the USA; all the while government under investment in infrastructure/various etc has impoverished the UK in ways we all know...

HOW many more hospital beds and school places (with all the resulting jobs created) could we have brought about with a fraction of the war expense. Not everybody votes, the few who are elected (by a few) by us to govern our country, have failed all of us in this respect; i think it is an absolute crime against us all, that so few can so greatly misspend UK public generated funds and then negatively affect so many.

:hihi: yes, human history right up to the advent of nuclear weapons was all peace and cooperation!

And it has been since, too :hihi::roll:

Britons today sleep comfortable in their beds because of the history of the Royal Navy, of which I was proud to be a part. It held the peace of the world in its hands. That job has now been passed on to the US Navy. There was a time when we didn't hold much faith in American seamanship, but times have changed. They are a very professional service today, intent on keeping the peace. The F35 is having problems, many new aircraft suffer the same thing, but eventually come out fine or get scrapped. In the meantime they keep going with plenty of F18s around.

Britons today sleep comfortable in their beds because of the history of the Royal Navy, of which I was proud to be a part. It held the peace of the world in its hands. .

This peace, all 500 years of it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_England (from 1500 to the act of union)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Britain (up to today)