Help with regard to Sheffield City Councils Refusal to Remodel Wetroom

Because her circumstances have changed since the day she accepted the home..was it built with the wet room? How many 3bed are you aware of from S.C.C that have wet rooms?

Irrelevant. The wet room was there before she moved in. She accepted the property knowing that it was there.

SCC aren't under any obligation to remove the wet-room for that reason, it would cost thousands to do so on top of the thousands spent converting it in the first place. All for the sake of the OP spending £40 on a non-slip mat designed for the purpose.

If she wants a house with a proper bathroom then she's going to have to move, which isn't the problem of SCC.

How about one of THESE?

Yes..it's a laundry basket but quite a bit one...enough for your child to stand in or even sit in and have fun and a shower.....you could carry her into the room....shower her in the basket....wrap her in a towel and carry her out. And if you are still worried about safety....a standard non slip bath mat should fit in the bottom of it. :D

as the property was first built? she probably accepted it or possibly only choice available, NOW her circumstances have changed. The previous tenant, for whatever reason had it adapted. The 3bed property was then only going to be let to anyone also in need of a wet room? Maybe the previous tenant was entitled due to there circumstances.Maybe it stated, has wet room which will not and cannot be changed? Or maybe they now realise with the future homes that are been built 'FOR LIFE' i'm told?

---------- Post added 16-02-2014 at 00:39 ----------

the problem is with our good old S.C.C?? as are many more.The previous tenant accepted it without wet room, why didn't they move? And S.C.C have in fact previously done so..agree wasted thousands...live and learn...out with the old n in with the new hey? the more and more built with wet room should be accepted for exactly how it is,no changes are going to be made again?

If i was homeless with three kids and on the homeless Priority list, and i got offered a three bedroom house with a wet room would i take it, your dam right i would, after twelve months would i want a proper bathroom, wouldn't anybody?

If i was homeless with three kids and on the homeless Priority list, and i got offered a three bedroom house with a wet room would i take it, your dam right i would, after twelve months would i want a proper bathroom, wouldn't anybody?

Surely there was a discussion about the wet room before the tenancy was accepted?

If I'd established that the landlord wasn't going to put in a bath, I'd either accept it and like others have said use a baby bath; try for an exchange; save up and pay for the alterations myself (after getting permission of course:)) Also, anyone who has a water meter will know that showers usually work out cheaper than baths! Always worth taking into account IMO.

did they convert it back for you? :)

---------- Post added 15-02-2014 at 07:40 ----------

The pipe for the shower gets clogged up & we cannot unblock it. They have replaced it twice. We pay our rent & will have them out as many times as we want.

Yes even though i only asked for a bath to be put in and leave original flooring etc so it could be used has a wetroom again if we ever moved out but they took it out

as the property was first built? she probably accepted it or possibly only choice available, NOW her circumstances have changed. The previous tenant, for whatever reason had it adapted. The 3bed property was then only going to be let to anyone also in need of a wet room? Maybe the previous tenant was entitled due to there circumstances.Maybe it stated, has wet room which will not and cannot be changed? Or maybe they now realise with the future homes that are been built 'FOR LIFE' i'm told?

---------- Post added 16-02-2014 at 00:39 ----------

the problem is with our good old S.C.C?? as are many more.The previous tenant accepted it without wet room, why didn't they move? And S.C.C have in fact previously done so..agree wasted thousands...live and learn...out with the old n in with the new hey? the more and more built with wet room should be accepted for exactly how it is,no changes are going to be made again?

Thankyou for your kind words :)

The property was bid on for myself by SCC home finders team.

Originally we were offered another 3 bed by SCC but the propert hadn't been vacated as scc were evicting the tenants.

We were offered this 7 weeks before the date to evict the tenants.

Our landlord was very kind to say we could carry on living in our property until then.

When the date came up for SCC to go in the property they found the property in a poor state as the tenants had ripped everything out even piping.

Scc removed the offer & told me to start bidding again :(

As by now I was at the top of the homeless priority list they started bidding for me.

So..... I didn't know it had a wet room until I viewed.

I was also told if I refused I would loose my priority.

It will not cost £1000's to take it out.

I've applied to a "Freedom of info" to see how many 2 & 3 bed properties in the last 5 years with a wetroom/ level access shower have be let to fully able bodied families & then been converted back to a family bathroom.

Like i have previously said if there are people crying out for these adapted properties why let it to us????

And again why not move the person who was living on their own taking a 3 bed property up into a property to meet their needs???

If you could see for yourselves how dangerous it is trying to shower her you may change you opinion.

For me it is a NEED & not a want.

I have spoken to ASS whom fitted the wet room whom have sent a letter confirming that the wet room was fitted for an elderly disabled person & done with out a toddlers safety in mind.

Most of you all sit behind your computers firing off un-helpful info.

If you was in my situation you may have a different opinion.

Edited by 2's Company

Thankyou for your kind words :)

The property was bid on for myself by SCC home finders team.

Originally we were offered another 3 bed by SCC but the propert hadn't been vacated as scc were evicting the tenants.

We were offered this 7 weeks before the date to evict the tenants.

Our landlord was very kind to say we could carry on living in our property until then.

When the date came up for SCC to go in the property they found the property in a poor state as the tenants had ripped everything out even piping.

Scc removed the offer & told me to start bidding again :(

As by now I was at the top of the homeless priority list they started bidding for me.

So..... I didn't know it had a wet room until I viewed.

I was also told if I refused I would loose my priority.

It will not cost £1000's to take it out.

I've applied to a "Freedom of info" to see how many 2 & 3 bed properties in the last 5 years with a wetroom/ level access shower have be let to fully able bodied families & then been converted back to a family bathroom.

Like i have previously said if there are people crying out for these adapted properties why let it to us????

And again why not move the person who was living on their own taking a 3 bed property up into a property to meet their needs???

If you could see for yourselves how dangerous it is trying to shower her you may change you opinion.

For me it is a NEED & not a want.

I have spoken to ASS whom fitted the wet room whom have sent a letter confirming that the wet room was fitted for an elderly disabled person & done with out a toddlers safety in mind.

Most of you all sit behind your computers firing off un-helpful info.

If you was in my situation you may have a different opinion.

My bold

Sorry, but this doesn't happen. Tenants can (and have appealed successfully) to get an eviction suspended hours before eviction so scc wouldn't do this. You may have been offered a property but some sort of notice will have been served.

You have been given enough suggestions on this thread, I suggest you explore these and be thankful that you and your family where given a 3 bed house in this day and age!

if it is dangerous like you say ( i Dont know) the council HAVE to do some thing about it, if it is dangerous, see your MP, among other organisations the SCC are breaking the law in not making your house safe, Also i do believe if it is as bad as that and the council are doing nothing about it, you can get private builders in to make it safe and bill the council, and they have to pay it, BUT if you accepted this house knowing it had a wet room and told them the council yes thats ok no problems with the wet room and accepted the house then that is a different matter. But if its dangerous they have to sort it out no matter what. no i am not having a go at you

if it is dangerous like you say ( i Dont know) the council HAVE to do some thing about it, if it is dangerous, see your MP, among other organisations the SCC are breaking the law in not making your house safe, Also i do believe if it is as bad as that and the council are doing nothing about it, you can get private builders in to make it safe and bill the council, and they have to pay it, BUT if you accepted this house knowing it had a wet room and told them the council yes thats ok no problems with the wet room and accepted the house then that is a different matter. But if its dangerous they have to sort it out no matter what. no i am not having a go at you

thanks :) I hadn't used the wetroom prior to signing for the wet room so couldn't comment on being suitable all they said was that if i refuse I will go back to waiting time bidding.

It became a problem when my daughter became mobile.

They keep saying the flooring is non slip but when you are showering a baby by trying to hold her arm & she's swinging about because she demonstrates she is frightened by the situation this is unsafe.

I am currently having heart problems (over active thyroid) Currently taking heart tablets to get my heart back down to a normal rate & have been told by the consultant at the hospital "no stress" & they don't even want me taking my children to school ( have no choice really) as it is that out of control at the moment.

The stress this situation is causing is not helping.

I have told SCC about what is going in on my complaint as advised by the doctor so hoping they my consider this.

I didn't want to say anything about my own issues on here as from the response so far I think people will pick at that too!! Lets see..

I will look at the private builder option :)

See your MP first before getting private builders in.

My bold

Sorry, but this doesn't happen. Tenants can (and have appealed successfully) to get an eviction suspended hours before eviction so scc wouldn't do this. You may have been offered a property but some sort of notice will have been served.

You have been given enough suggestions on this thread, I suggest you explore these and be thankful that you and your family where given a 3 bed house in this day and age!

Sorry but this does happen as we were offered it. The info I was given from SCC was that the couldn't enter the property until The day of eviction even though They had info the tenants had already left!

---------- Post added 16-02-2014 at 10:16 ----------

See your MP first before getting private builders in.

Ok thanks :)