Help with regard to Sheffield City Councils Refusal to Remodel Wetroom

It sounds from the OP's post that it's not draining properly and everyone is slipping and sliding around in a pool of water.

Perhaps try putting some drain cleaner down the hole, or find a new type of plug that will allow more water through??

Social housing providers are operating on minute margins. They struggle to cover even the most basic maintenance costs and one of the things they've been tripped up with is installing, reinstalling and reinstalling again bathrooms when tenants' needs change. Say you have one property with a family - they want a bath, then you get a elderly or disabled tenant -they need shower or wetroom, then you get a family again - they want a bathroom with a bath in it. Some providers have had to make decision that they will go for the one size (more or less) fits all option, so they have flexibility. It was simply costing them a fortune ripping out perfectly useable bathroom suites.

I can totally see that not having a bath is inconvenient for a family with a toddler, but it's an inconvenience, not a necessity. There are ways around this (as has been suggested) and your little one will soon grow.

It sounds from the OP's post that it's not draining properly and everyone is slipping and sliding around in a pool of water.

Perhaps try putting some drain cleaner down the hole, or find a new type of plug that will allow more water through??

Kier visit my property at least once per month to unblock the drain.

I cannot buy a different plug as it's a funny shape & has to be flush with the floor & when I mentions to them about the plug I was told there isn't a different type to fit it?

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 12:28 ----------

Sheffield Council do not provide the wet rooms or pay for it. Adult Social Services provide & Pay as I have been informed .

Maybe Instead of adapting properties for an elderly person whom alot of the time is on their own taking up a 3 bed family home they should move them into a smaller property that has these facilities already?

Before you all start jumping on me I am going on my situation & the previous tenant.

I know there isn't always a property available but at the same time SCC awarded me a disabled adapted property when we are a fully able bodied family but yet are supposedly crying out for these???

Controlling a distressed Child isn't as easy as you may think.

Particularly when she is pulling away from you & totally horrified at the situation she is frightened in. :) ...

It sounds like she needs a good cuddle til she is confident again when this happens.

I agree that it is not easy to control a distressed child, and they also know who they want too. Which is their mummy ! :hihi: As much as I love my nephew, when he bites me and then run to his mummy, then I know what he wants. :)

To be honest, it sounds like you are not likely to get anything from the council side, and why actually let their politics affect your mood, and your own situation. You got to remain strong here and focus in your immediate situation. There is not much you can do in terms of the politics side of things, even if you feel that you can push things along. It will end up hurting your own situation and your toddler too. Because when you are more moody, and she will pick up on this and be upset too. Babies are sensitive this way. So you gotta remain strong.

------------------------------------

On the other hand. I did have a look and check for you. Maybe you can get one of these types of gadgets.

The bath tub that you do not want is this type. Cos it slopes upward this way. It will not allow her to grow into it.

Mothercare Baby Bath = 79 cm x 38 cm x 22 cm

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Baby-Bath/481224,default,pd.html

This is the kind that you want, and it can allow a toddler to sit in it later on. Can you see the sides are straight so that it can allow her legs to grow into it ?

Stokke® Flexi Bath = 63 cm x 24 cm x 10 cm

http://www.mothercare.com/Stokke%C2%AE-Flexi-Bath-%E2%84%A2---White/661281,default,pd.html

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7328307.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

I am not sure which one of the above will hold water better. You gotta check this before investing. Or it may mean that you want to add a shallower level of water only. In case it burst and flood your bathroom.

Because she is only 2. I guess she may be at that stage ready to sit or to move around ? You can try and make her sit in one of these to both support her back, or to allow her to feel that bit safer. She may feel more comfortable if she had something to grasp onto.

http://www.mothercare.com/support-seats/feeding_highchairs_supportseats,default,sc.html

If she doesn't like the sitter, and is already mobile. Then maybe you can try and introduce her to sitting on a potty whilst bathing, cos then she is able to also use that later on to train with when she is ready.

Other than that, I am running out of ideas !

It sounds like she needs a good cuddle til she is confident again when this happens.

I agree that it is not easy to control a distressed child, and they also know who they want too. Which is their mummy ! :hihi: As much as I love my nephew, when he bites me and then run to his mummy, then I know what he wants. :)

To be honest, it sounds like you are not likely to get anything from the council side, and why actually let their politics affect your mood, and your own situation. You got to remain strong here and focus in your immediate situation. There is not much you can do in terms of the politics side of things, even if you feel that you can push things along. It will end up hurting your own situation and your toddler too. Because when you are more moody, and she will pick up on this and be upset too. Babies are sensitive this way. So you gotta remain strong.

------------------------------------

On the other hand. I did have a look and check for you. Maybe you can get one of these types of gadgets.

The bath tub that you do not want is this type. Cos it slopes upward this way. It will not allow her to grow into it.

Mothercare Baby Bath = 79 cm x 38 cm x 22 cm

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Baby-Bath/481224,default,pd.html

This is the kind that you want, and it can allow a toddler to sit in it later on. Can you see the sides are straight so that it can allow her legs to grow into it ?

Stokke® Flexi Bath = 63 cm x 24 cm x 10 cm

http://www.mothercare.com/Stokke%C2%AE-Flexi-Bath-%E2%84%A2---White/661281,default,pd.html

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7328307.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

I am not sure which one of the above will hold water better. You gotta check this before investing. Or it may mean that you want to add a shallower level of water only. In case it burst and flood your bathroom.

Because she is only 2. I guess she may be at that stage ready to sit or to move around ? You can try and make her sit in one of these to both support her back, or to allow her to feel that bit safer. She may feel more comfortable if she had something to grasp onto.

http://www.mothercare.com/support-seats/feeding_highchairs_supportseats,default,sc.html

If she doesn't like the sitter, and is already mobile. Then maybe you can try and introduce her to sitting on a potty whilst bathing, cos then she is able to also use that later on to train with when she is ready.

Other than that, I am running out of ideas !

Thankyou for your kind advice by far the most productive so far :) I'm going to look at the orange argos bath xx

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 12:39 ----------

Out of stock at 9 nearest stores & not available for home delivery :(

Ebay is your backup. I think they are the Stokke ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=&LH_Auction=1&_dcat=113814&Brand=%21&_osacat=113814&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xflexibath&_nkw=flexibath&_sacat=113814&_from=R40

Always ask the brand and make of it though. Also, check to see if you think that the sizing will fit your baby. Because I skim read one of the post in Amazon, it was too small for their child, so it cannot let them grow til they are 4 years old. It depends on if your baby is quite large or not.

http://www.stokke.com/en-gb/bathing/stokke-flexi-bath/product-information.aspx

It length is only 66cm. So if she sits, then this is the maximum length.

Kier visit my property at least once per month to unblock the drain.

What on earth are you putting down it to need that doing every month :o:o:o

The only time I've ever backed a drain up was in my first place at uni, when I chucked a load of fat down the sink (despite being told this was bad)

Mr Muscle and a plunger saved my ass that time :D

What on earth are you putting down it to need that doing every month :o:o:o

The only time I've ever backed a drain up was in my first place at uni, when I chucked a load of fat down the sink (despite being told this was bad)

Mr Muscle and a plunger saved my ass that time :D

Nothing!!!

We shower & hair ect I presume is the cause.

Sheffield Council do not provide the wet rooms or pay for it. Adult Social Services provide & Pay as I have been informed.

Adult Social Services are a department of Sheffield Council, and therefore funded by them. As I said earlier, they are being subjected to massive cuts as we speak (I attended a meeting this morning announcing further 'austerity' measures).

We are desperate for shower or wet room, would offer to swap but where in 2 bed flat.

why dont you do a mutual exchange, if you dont like it this much or it is so unsuitable,

there are quite afew on the housing swap list that want these properties,

We are desperate for shower or wet room, would offer to swap but where in 2 bed flat.

why dont you do a mutual exchange, if you dont like it this much or it is so unsuitable,

there are quite afew on the housing swap list that want these properties,

Thanks I don't really want to have to move... We have decorated top to bottom & have laid new carpets through out it's alot of expense that to be honest we don't have at the moment.

Thats crap!

They wouldnt be able to get away with that if it was the other way around and a disabled family needed alterations. Its double standards plain and simple.

Actually they try to, I was moved to a 'normal' house which I was promised would be adapted for us in due course. Then they told me they couldn't do it and I'd have to move again. I fought for a couple of years and got the adaptations done in the end.

Very surprised a family would be moved to an adapted property if they didn't need it, I was always told how these very rarely came available.

Edited by honeyb35
pressed send too early!