Help with regard to Sheffield City Councils Refusal to Remodel Wetroom

Buy one of those paddling pools that just pop open, and let that fill with water. Then just fold away when done.

Aw, I was going to say that!

It's a pity they could not have offered you a none altered property, i dislike seeing these wasted

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 23:21 ----------

[/color]

Thanks I don't really want to have to move... We have decorated top to bottom & have laid new carpets through out it's alot of expense that to be honest we don't have at the moment.

I understand that, as we moved here last september as a temp move, but if right property came along we would be gone,

especially if it had a wet room

Edited by petecob

I have a wet room by choice in the house that we have bought, because the bathroom is far too small for a bath.

We don't have young children but my grandaughter sometimes comes to stay, she is 19 months old. She doesn't like the shower, but we get round it by standing her very near to the shower and just use a sponge to wash her down. She soon gets over it! In no way is it dangerous, as the floor is designed not to be slippery, after all, they are designed for the disabled!

I agree that little ones ideally would have a nice warm bath before bed, but could you not just buy a paddling pool, or even one of those plastic storage boxes? Your little girl will grow up and will probably prefer a shower when she gets a bit older.

I really wouldn't expect the council to go to the expense of ripping out the wet room and installing a bath.

I understand that, as we moved here last september as a temp move, but if right property came along we would be gone,

especially if it had a wet room

Could you and 2's Company do a swap?

Could you and 2's Company do a swap?

We took a flat in rotherham as sheffield said it could be upto 2 years before we might get offered 1.

but if they want a 2 bed flat, balcony's front and back,

2nd floor flat with 8 steps to front door ( not shared )

would love to swap just for wet room, and dont care what area it is

Hi thanks if it wasn't a 2 bed I may have thought about it.

Hope you get a suitable property :)

Just out of curiosity would the council let you change it back to a normal bathroom if you funded it yourself? not suggesting you should im just wondering.

Just out of curiosity would the council let you change it back to a normal bathroom if you funded it yourself? not suggesting you should im just wondering.

Yes :) But I cannot afford to at the moment. We had a quote from a company to do it if we supply bath & pipes to come in & move the sink, toilet move the shower to face over the bath & fit a bath & re-tile around the bath would be £850.

The council wrote to me few months ago saying it would be £4500 to £5000 for them to do it :(

---------- Post added 14-02-2014 at 17:27 ----------

Unfortunately they don't always have suitably adapted properties in the areas where the people who need them want to live.

Maybe they should be made to move further away from their desired location then. I notice they WANT to live there so just like people have said about me it's not a need then?

Edited by 2's Company

If you leave the house you may have to put it back again though

my mum used to live in a SCC property that was adapted. It had a stairlift and a wet room. She needed the stair lift but couldnt get used to the wet room as she couldn't breathe when having a shower as she has got emphysema and is on oxygen 24 hours a day. We asked to change the wet room back to a bathroom and even got medical support but we were told no. I do understand though because there are ways and means round it and also the council hasn't got a bottomless purse !!!

solutions would be a bath seat which you can get in places like argos or some shower jelly shoes for child to grip on to.

If they are struggling with the shower being an issue because of hurting themselves then make it fun for them and dont make it an issue, just make it play time like you would going to the fountains.

A wetroom might not be ideal in your situation but unfortunately it does say in the lettings policy that they cant change adapted houses and can even ask for them back if they are in need of them (which they never do unless its about sucesion).

It is a shame because there are lots of people who need wetrooms and cant get them installed for cost reasons.

we had the same situation a few years ago and eventually they admitted it wasnt suitable for a family situation,its like we said if they have been converted to a wetroom why offer them to families and then have to convert them back wasting more money

I can't believe you get Kier out to unblock the plug hole. No wonder the council has no money!