Help needed with Council tax form

Hi, does anybody know someone who can advise on how to go about making a council tax appeal. I have had no end of companies willing to take £500 of me for filling a form in which obviously I could do, but, my case is not straight forward, eg, my partner childminds from a premises but does not live on site, they want to charge her, none domestic rates, which is £400 per month, she has someone living in the flat above who pay their own rates (band A) £100 per month, I need to know if there is anyway around this,

Kind regards

Contact the Citizens Advice, They have people that can help you. Google your nearest one :)

Are you sure it's council tax? It sounds like it could be business rates they're asking for if she's running a business from the premises.

As mentioned try the CAB for help.

If she's running a business from non-residential premises, she's going to have to pay business rates, at a guess. Has she looked into whether she's eligible for small business rate relief? That's usually about 25% deduction.

Or she could look into becoming a charity, and get 80% off. I hear that's becoming quite common these days.

CAB dont deal with peoples business problems.

As said above they seem to want business rates because she is running a business outside her own home. Not seeing the relevance of the flat above.

Not sure how she qualifies as a charity though because am not seeing the public good criteria.

Are you sure it's council tax? It sounds like it could be business rates they're asking for if she's running a business from the premises.

As mentioned try the CAB for help.

Yes it would help to be sure whether your form is about council tax or about non-domestic rates.

Details of local advice services are at: http://www.advicesheffield.org.uk

Its much the same as a shop with a residential flat above.

The owner of the shop would have to pay business rates and the tenent/owner of the flat above would have to pay council tax.

Is she expecting to avoid paying the business rates?