Running Shoe recommendations

Can anyone recommend a pair of racing flats, preferably with a small heel drop, no more than 5mm.

I'm struggling with the usual suspects (Nike, Adidas) Anyone got any experiences of other brands??

I use adidas hagio 2s, 7oz of shoe. But I know a lot who use brooks t7 racers and rave about them. I think they have a bigger drop than 5mm though.

Can anyone recommend a pair of racing flats, preferably with a small heel drop, no more than 5mm.

I'm struggling with the usual suspects (Nike, Adidas) Anyone got any experiences of other brands??

It would be a good idea to get your gait tested if you're getting a new pair of running trainers.

They'll do this for you on the treadmill at Up and Running (opposite side of Church Street to the Cathedral)

If you mention my name when you go they'll give you a 10% discount too

My sister runs long distances and loves her Brooks too.

Brooks green silence, if you can find a pair (i'm on my 2nd pair of four)

Very lightweight,plenty of grip and room for the toes so only go up a half size from your normal shoe size.

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/sale/shoes/men/brooks-green-silence-men-s-running-shoes-aw12.html

tbh they look like style over substance and only £32 for something your going to be running on for 500 miles- hhmmmmm.

tbh they look like style over substance and only £32 for something your going to be running on for 500 miles- hhmmmmm.

£32 certainly doesn't mean trainers won't last or be suitable.

I'm not saying they won't be but with most things in this world you get what you pay for. With something as important as running footwear and the potential damage that badly fitting shoes can do i wouldn't choose my running trainers by price. (not that i'm saying the other posters are).

The best advise, which others have already said, is go to somewhere like up and running in town or sweatshop in meadowhall and have your gait analysed- they can then recommend the correct type of footwear for you.

The linked pair are the spring 2012 model and were brooks attempt at cashing in on london Olympics.

Any normal runner will only get 200-300 miles out of a 'racing' shoe but it depends on weight and running efficiency. I know someone who got 850 miles out of training in a racing shoe but he weighs 7st and runs 2:30.00 marathons

I use adidas hagio 2s, 7oz of shoe. But I know a lot who use brooks t7 racers and rave about them. I think they have a bigger drop than 5mm though.

Not seen Hagios about for a while, was considering Adizero Adios Boost, bit pricey though.

Ordered a pair of New Balance RC5000, see how they feel. 3.2 ounces per shoe, a supposed 6mm heel drop

I'm currently in some original Nike Lunaracers which were a huge progression in weight and feel at the time, probably got over 2000k out of them, but I am a fan so ordered a pair of the new ones to give them a go. I wouldn't fancy the New Balance on a longer run.

I do see Brooks name come up a bit on forums and the like so I might take a look. I do prefer a more streamlined shoe, something more aligned to a track profile but they are few and far between

Any normal runner will only get 200-300 miles out of a 'racing' shoe but it depends on weight and running efficiency. I know someone who got 850 miles out of training in a racing shoe but he weighs 7st and runs 2:30.00 marathons

2-300 miles- that seems a little low, I believe the accepted rule of thumb is 500 miles but as you said- it all depends on who you are.

I'm not saying they won't be but with most things in this world you get what you pay for. With something as important as running footwear and the potential damage that badly fitting shoes can do i wouldn't choose my running trainers by price. (not that i'm saying the other posters are).

The best advise, which others have already said, is go to somewhere like up and running in town or sweatshop in meadowhall and have your gait analysed- they can then recommend the correct type of footwear for you.

My feet, legs and experiences of other runners are the best recommendation for me. Gait analysis has its place I'm sure, but for the average runner I'm not sure the benefits are really there. There are so many other factors you could consider, gait is a small part. I'd never place too much importance on it. I'm an experienced runner, pretty injury free (touch wood) and if I try a shoe on and it fits and feels comfy then thats the one for me. All this without ever having my gait analysed.