Flat screen TVs

We used to have a CRT TV..so-so picture but really good sound..our kids bought us a flat screen for Christmas..the picture is great and so are the apps, but the sound is somewhat lacking..anyone have any recommendations for a soundbar or similar...probably up to about the £300 mark... it's an LG TV if that helps at all..

Edited by truman

My 1st recomendation is that you go to a retailer which has some soundbars set up (RicherSounds, other) and have a listen first.

A soundbar, whilst 'bassier' than the LCD speakers, will still lack the bass levels that a larger CRT set may have provided, and will sound very hollow/tinny compared to conventional 2- or 3-way speakers. That is, without an associated subwoofer.

Moreover, don't be roped in by any "surround sound" marketing spiel and such. Practically, there are too many variables involved (room volume/shape/layout, soundbar height, etc.) beyond the soundbar built-in technology for this claim to consitently hold out.

On the basis that you still opt for a soundbar, south of/up to £300, go with Yamaha. Entry-level YAS 101 and subwoofer (Yamaha, Tannoy, Cambridge Audio) will do better than fine, if it's just for improving TV sound. Samsung/LG/Panasonic/<etc> soundbars are under-specced and over-priced.

TV brand is not relevant, but check whether your TV HDMI sockets and the soundbar's are both ARC-compliant (that way, your TV remote will control the soundbar volume as well).

All the above from hands-on experience (I've owned and/or currently own different soundbars, including a Yamaha (still have it for PC/xbox), 5.1 KEF and jamo speaker sets, Pioneer and Marantz AV amps, Mordaunt Short subs, <etc.>)

Edited by L00b

My 1st recomendation is that you go to a retailer which has some soundbars set up (RicherSounds, other) and have a listen first.

A soundbar, whilst 'bassier' than the LCD speakers, will still lack the bass levels that a larger CRT set may have provided, and will sound very hollow/tinny compared to conventional 2- or 3-way speakers. That is, without an associated subwoofer.

Moreover, don't be roped in by any "surround sound" marketing spiel and such. Practically, there are too many variables involved (room volume/shape/layout, soundbar height, etc.) beyond the soundbar built-in technology for this claim to consitently hold out.

On the basis that you still opt for a soundbar, south of/up to £300, go with Yamaha. Entry-level YAS 101 and subwoofer (Yamaha, Tannoy, Cambridge Audio) will do better than fine, if it's just for improving TV sound. Samsung/LG/Panasonic/<etc> soundbars are under-specced and over-priced.

TV brand is not relevant, but check whether your TV HDMI sockets and the soundbar's are both ARC-compliant (that way, your TV remote will control the soundbar volume as well).

All the above from hands-on experience (I've owned and/or currently own different soundbars, including a Yamaha (still have it for PC/xbox), 5.1 KEF and jamo speaker sets, Pioneer and Marantz AV amps, Mordaunt Short subs, <etc.>)

Thanks for that..I'm looking for a soundbar with a separate sub.I realise the bar itself isn't large enough to give much bass.. ..I have a reasonable audio system for my music so the TV system would just be for TV sound..I'll have a look at the Yamaha..ta

If you want decent sound then steer away from a sound bar. I had one and quickly sold it as it just was not good enough and now use the audio hi-fi for the sound.

I have one of these and rout the audio from the TV via spdif it then goes analogue from this converter to the stereo. I moved the speakers to the side of the TV and all is fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Grade-DAC-Analogue-Converter/dp/B005HFTUO0/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1392032535&sr=1-1&keywords=spdif+to+analogue

Maybe think about it as it will cost less than £20 to do and should sound as good as music on the stereo, less clutter too.

If you decide to go down the hi-fi route, you need to first make sure your hi-fi has an AUX input...

And also, you may not need the above adaptor, as some TV's have an "Audio Out" (mine does)

If you want decent sound then steer away from a sound bar. I had one and quickly sold it as it just was not good enough and now use the audio hi-fi for the sound.

I have one of these and rout the audio from the TV via spdif it then goes analogue from this converter to the stereo. I moved the speakers to the side of the TV and all is fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Grade-DAC-Analogue-Converter/dp/B005HFTUO0/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1392032535&sr=1-1&keywords=spdif+to+analogue

Maybe think about it as it will cost less than £20 to do and should sound as good as music on the stereo, less clutter too.

Hi Fi is in a different room ... thanks anyway. :)

A soundbar is not designed to provide HiFi sound. I think truman is well aware of that.

It's designed to "replace" or "amplify" the thin speakers built into modern flat panel TVs. So, to be a better jack-of-all-trades, yet still master-of-none, by design.

'Decent' sound is a very relative (and personal) concept...but regardless, most 'decent' soundbars will provide 'decent' sound. Not audiophile-decent, but then that's not what their design and purpose is. Of course, there's "grades" of decency, as with everything you get what you pay for. Put a Yamaha or Roth next to a 'no-name' eBay wonder or a generic-but-rebadged affair (Samsung/LG are worst culprits for that), and it's nearly like night and day.

My old YSP800 soundbar sounds (to me) miles better than any PC or multimedia speakers I've ever had, including the best ones (Harman Kardon/JBL Creatures, and some Cambridge Soundworks multi-speakers for PC). It's plenty good enough (overkill, actually) for mp3s, games and whatnot from the PC and xbox.

Given a reasonably 'same' output level (to the ear), it's also certainly a much clearer and better-defined sound than what comes out of these Philips two-ways I've got FS atm...but it completely lacks in power/bass compared to same.

And, in terms of audio fidelity, once fed with some best-of-breed Vivaldi recordings on CD, it doesn't hold a candle to some 'proper HiFi', late 80s Canons I've got FS atm. Even with a sub and regardless of how well I manage to pair/tune the soundbar and subwoofer cross-over/phase. It's just soul-less.

Edited by L00b

And, in terms of audio fidelity, once fed with some best-of-breed Vivaldi recordings on CD, it doesn't hold a candle to some 'proper HiFi', late 80s Canons I've got FS atm.

Apart from your Canon speakers not even setup correctly, even at the time they were rubbish, the concept was there but unless you had them on decent stands slightly above head hight when sitting you lost all the top end, they do make excellent surround speakers though.

As for soundbars, generally they will only be used to replace most modern tvs speakers and in that case most of them will be an improvement for the general viewer.

Edited by xdbx

Apart from your Canon speakers not even setup correctly
They're set up for temporary use in these photos.

Apart from bleating, was there another point to your post?

Yamaha make great soundbars. The YS101 will be a great upgrade sound wise from just using the TV speakers.

They're set up for temporary use in these photos.

Apart from bleating, was there another point to your post?

My point was that you pontificate about the use of sound bars and audio fidelity and then put forward as "Proper Hifi" those speakers :loopy:

I do agree with you that:

A. Sound is subjective to the individual.

B. Go to a retailer and listen.

Good luck with the sale BTW.

Go Down to TJ Hughes at the New Market an they Sell Goodmans Toolbars 30 Watt or 50 Watt,an i got the 50 watt with Bluetooth included,an i would Definetly Recommend these to People,an Having Speakers at the Front instead of the Back of my Smart Tv is Alot better an Clearer