What can I do with unwanted books?

Contact user canal4all on here... they collect and resell the books to raise funds for the canal restoration project. They collected about 10 boxes drom us the other week and were very grateful.

I second that...they collected some from me too...and they will hopefully come to you :D

detoxing my house? oh my god is it that bad

:hihi: Like detoxing my health. Yeh, it is so bad.

There are many things you can do with unwanted books that are kind to the environment and to society.

Sheffield libraries are having their funding cut, that they are losing buildings then the may soon not have the space to accommodate the books that they do have. That being said, they're still appreciative of donations to add to their collections . They sometimes sell books on if they have duplicates available, in order to supplement their budgets and allow them to expand stock to more current content.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/usingthelibrary/donations.html

That's interesting.

I wonder if it's entirely legal though.

When a library buys a license to own and lend a book it costs significantly more than just buying the book normally. The copyright assertion in a normal book will (generally) prohibit lending, and so I was under the impression that libraries will not generally accept any donations.

we gave a load of books to AgeUK last week. They took them with pleasure, and they sell all donated items in their own shops

That's interesting.

When a library buys a license to own and lend a book it costs significantly more than just buying the book normally. The copyright assertion in a normal book will (generally) prohibit lending, and so I was under the impression that libraries will not generally accept any donations.

Library's usually have there books donated to them by the author or publishers.

there are lots of places like, charity shops, I donate my books to hospital library's, for patients to borrow or sell them. try homeless shelters, older persons homes. even some super markets take them or second hand book shops and earn your self a few quid x

OXFAM is a good charity to support if they are decent...

Sheffield libraries are having their funding cut, that they are losing buildings then the may soon not have the space to accommodate the books that they do have. That being said, they're still appreciative of donations to add to their collections . They sometimes sell books on if they have duplicates available, in order to supplement their budgets and allow them to expand stock to more current content.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/usingthelibrary/donations.html

Sheffield libraries have had a 1 in, 1 out policy for at least a decade now. For every new book they buy, they pulp an old one.

---------- Post added 18-02-2014 at 20:42 ----------

OXFAM is a good charity to support if they are decent...

Not questioning the organisation's cause, but Oxfam are notrious for really aggressive retail practices with their bookshops. They deliberately target areas with independent bookshops, undercut them and force them out of business.

They are basically the Starbucks of bookshops.

Library's usually have there books donated to them by the author or publishers.

That's not the case. Libraries have to buy most of their books.

---------- Post added 18-02-2014 at 21:49 ----------

That's interesting.

Incorrect.

Copyright law specifically permits non-profit libraries to lend books.

See for example http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/2967/part/II/crossheading/rental-and-lending-right/made

To lend them without having to pay for a license in the first place? (I don't have time to read that link right now, gotta go to work).

Some places with recycling bins (for plastic,paper etc) that you often see at supermarkets also have bins for books, clothes and cds.

That is a quick and convenient way to do it just like I used to, but I have seen people trying to steal from the clothes banks and book banks at a few supermarkets so now I give my unwanted items them to the british heart foundation in town, just past the top of the moor. (opposite where the old mcdonalds used to be)

I even got a thank you letter from them saying they had raised around £35 for the goods given to them when I signed up on their list.