Waverley Train Station

We drove past this weekend, and a footpath to the station has been tarmacked, and turfing laid to the edge of the pavement (despite all of the other grass in the area being visibly dead)

Which station?

And why would the population of Handsworth be considered in a potential new station? Its already near Darnall and Woodhouse stations, which would be much nearer than any new station. Plus there is a bus which runs every few minutes to town from there.

Plus the people who want Catcliffe station reopening need to look at the bigger picture. Where do the trains come from? Which way do the trains go? One way leads to Chesterfield, and the other leads to Rotherham and Sheffield is only obtainable with a reversal.

Yes according to the timetable there are buses that supposedly run every few minutes but that is the theory. Very often there are three or more buses running together and then a very long gap until sight of another bus. You then have the problem of getting said bus to pull up and let you get on. I have lost count of the number of time I have stood at the bus stop with arm outstreached to watch an almost empty bus drive straight past.

It would be very much better to have one bus per hour provided that it kept to the timetabler, The current timetable is not worth the paper it is written on.

Not heard of any plans for a train station as I have blocked my ears regarding development on that site. It's going to sink hole galore in a decade or so as the foundations give way over the open-cast mine area.

My view is it should have been made into a forest site for at least a century and let all the natural subsidence take its course.

in the early 80s I was living in woodhouse, and worked in Sheffield. I first used the buses to get to and from work which would take about 45 minutes to get to work. someone said why don't you get the train which I started to use the trains ran on time or near enough it only cost a few pence or a couple of bob and the journey only took 8 minutes it was a great service shame if its not still running

in the early 80s I was living in woodhouse, and worked in Sheffield. I first used the buses to get to and from work which would take about 45 minutes to get to work. someone said why don't you get the train which I started to use the trains ran on time or near enough it only cost a few pence or a couple of bob and the journey only took 8 minutes it was a great service shame if its not still running

You can still get a train from Woodhouse to Sheffield!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodhouse_railway_station

The station is very much still there.

Edited by No User Name

HS2 is likely to encroach on the Waverley land but it will be the edge closest to the River Rother so it won't really affect any of the houses that are being built at the moment. I imagine any passing trains will be going pretty slow around that area as they pull away from/approach Meadowhall station.

apart from noise pollution once running.

transport polluton, noise pollution, lowering of house values (would you want to buy a house with qtr mile of a HS2 line?) while contructing/

So no it wont really bother the people who live there will it?

apart from noise pollution once running.

transport polluton, noise pollution, lowering of house values (would you want to buy a house with qtr mile of a HS2 line?) while contructing/

So no it wont really bother the people who live there will it?

No, it won't.

evidence Twitchbi? instead of just putting "no, it wont"

So how do you propose they build a railway line without disturbing people both noise wise, environmentally and traffic disruption?

How do you propose they stop trains generating noise when they go past?

How do you think that any house value will not fall within a certain distance of the line?

evidence Twitchbi? instead of just putting "no, it wont"

So how do you propose they build a railway line without disturbing people both noise wise, environmentally and traffic disruption?

How do you propose they stop trains generating noise when they go past?

How do you think that any house value will not fall within a certain distance of the line?

I live at Waverley and 50yds from my house is where they're building the next phase of housing. There are diggers and all sorts at the moment and it doesn't bother me one iota, or the neighbours that I've spoken to, because I knew it would be like that.

Anyone who buys at Waverley should hopefully have done their homework before spending £200k or whatever and know that the HS2 may be built on the lower end of the site at some point in the future. Therefore they don't have the right to moan about noise as far as I'm concerned. The noise from a few trains per hour will be far less than any road traffic noise i'll tell you that for nothing. If people want to live where they can spend all day long listening for that pin to drop then they can go and find some remote little place in Derbyshire if that's what suits them. I moved from Walkley Bank Road and the traffic in the morning used to wake me up everyday. The windows are so good here that you can't hear anything.

So no, I don't think it will bother anyone.

Regarding the house prices, I can only see these going one way - up. Once they develop the lake area with trendy bars and waterspouts facilities, that will have a far more positive effect than some stupid train. That doesn't bother me either as I intend to live here for the rest of my life.

Waverley IS NOT on a flood plain

Also it's a minutes walk from the Sheffield to Lincoln line, which is just the other side of Highfield Spring. At it's nearest point there's a brand new footbridge that goes to absolutely no where except a field and on either side of there's patches of land that has been cleared (oblong shaped).

So it would look like, even if one isn't immediately in the offing, some work has already been done. As the estate and the AMP grows they're going to need it :

The other side of the footbridge leads to a path that passes the old Handsworth Colliery and onto Finchwell Road at Handsworth. This is an old footpath, historically used by miners walking from Darnall and Handsworth to reach Orgreave Colliery many years ago. It can be seen on old ordanance survey maps.

The area around the footbridge was cleared in order to get the large plant equipment to site so the old footbridge could be safely dismantled and the new one lifted into place. This task was completed over one weekend.

The new footbridge actually replaced an existing old Victorian cast iron bridge. I can see the logic of constructing a station here, don't forget the relatively new Barrat Housing estate at Handsworth is within walking distance via the footpath.

HS2 is likely to encroach on the Waverley land but it will be the edge closest to the River Rother so it won't really affect any of the houses that are being built at the moment. I imagine any passing trains will be going pretty slow around that area as they pull away from/approach Meadowhall station.

I used to live on medlock at handsworth i could hear the trains and we were a mile away from lines. Wouldnt like to to live any were near railway lines in the night sound travels so beware :love::love:

I live at Waverley and 50yds from my house is where they're building the next phase of housing. There are diggers and all sorts at the moment and it doesn't bother me one iota, or the neighbours that I've spoken to, because I knew it would be like that.

Anyone who buys at Waverley should hopefully have done their homework before spending £200k or whatever and know that the HS2 may be built on the lower end of the site at some point in the future. Therefore they don't have the right to moan about noise as far as I'm concerned. The noise from a few trains per hour will be far less than any road traffic noise i'll tell you that for nothing. If people want to live where they can spend all day long listening for that pin to drop then they can go and find some remote little place in Derbyshire if that's what suits them. I moved from Walkley Bank Road and the traffic in the morning used to wake me up everyday. The windows are so good here that you can't hear anything.

So no, I don't think it will bother anyone.

Regarding the house prices, I can only see these going one way - up. Once they develop the lake area with trendy bars and waterspouts facilities, that will have a far more positive effect than some stupid train. That doesn't bother me either as I intend to live here for the rest of my life.

i know you live at Waverly and i know you are pro Waverly (looking at your link) but really? yes the diggers are there at present but they will go/move on once the houses near you are built as the area develops. You will have enough noise pollution from all the cars queuing up round the block to get out in the morning due to the poor road links or trying to navigate their way around the estate due to lack of parking availability causing people to park all over the place(see Woodlaithes as a prime example of what is to come).

Anyone who haas lived near a train line (as i have) will know what noise is coming. Yes i agree with you that people moving to the Waverley should fully understand what will be there when they purchase the house but to say it wont disrupt them because " it dont bother me" is a bit self rightous isnt it?

As for the future of the Waverley? you already have parkign issues up there which will get worse (as reported in your link), the transport network up there will get very slow in a short amount of time (its a good job that the planned P&R isnt happening or it would be worse) and as for the "trendy bars" that are coming, first pint will be on me when they build them and they are "trendy" - this is Rotherham we are talking about.