Waverley Train Station

I live close enough to it and I'll probably never use it. The services are too infrequent, don't go anywhere particularly useful to warrent using it, and meadowhall is only 10 minutes away with a more regular bus service (a1) serving it and far better routes (doncaster, Leeds, Manchester, and Nottingham).

I agree, the line seems to always fall of the radar for investment and development in terms of service.

I would suggest the service perhaps ought to be 3 trains per hour from Sheffield made up of

- hourly all stops Sheffield-Lincoln

- hourly all stops Sheffield-Worksop or Retford

- hourly express Manchester-Sheffield-Lincoln

That would be perfect/sensible. No doubt some OAP from Beighton would start placard waving again if that happened though :rolleyes:

Isn't the South route of the Bus Rapid Transport project supposed to serve Waverley?

BRT South is not happening, government refused the funding for it.

There was also massive holes in the proposed bus lane down the parkway associated with it.

I drive past the Waverley/Morrisons junction every day so today i thought i'd drive past the Waverley area instead en route to the parkway. Traffic was backing up from Morrisons past the first roundabout and almost to the Housing estate entrance at 8:15 and that is with minimal number of houses occupied. When the rest of the estate is built that road will become jammed from 7-9 competely due to volume of trafffic unless an exit road is built and the council is blocking the building of it.

i wonder if the estate agents are still claiming a P&R and BRT is going to run from the area? might pop in.

BRT South is not happening, government refused the funding for it.

There was also massive holes in the proposed bus lane down the parkway associated with it.

I drive past the Waverley/Morrisons junction every day so today i thought i'd drive past the Waverley area instead en route to the parkway. Traffic was backing up from Morrisons past the first roundabout and almost to the Housing estate entrance at 8:15 and that is with minimal number of houses occupied. When the rest of the estate is built that road will become jammed from 7-9 competely due to volume of trafffic unless an exit road is built and the council is blocking the building of it.

i wonder if the estate agents are still claiming a P&R and BRT is going to run from the area? might pop in.

I travel along Highfield Spring everyday to work and back, and your right the road has recently started backing up with traffic, and sometimes the queue reaches all the way back to the first roundabout near the railway!!!

My own views are that it is quite clearly the sheer volume of traffic (I've noticed the council have put their traffic monitoring equipment out) and the fact that at the morrisons roundabout the traffic doesn't get chance to get out due to the large amounts of traffic coming from Catcliffe/treeton... That's the reason it all backs up.

I travel along Highfield Spring everyday to work and back, and your right the road has recently started backing up with traffic, and sometimes the queue reaches all the way back to the first roundabout near the railway!!!

My own views are that it is quite clearly the sheer volume of traffic (I've noticed the council have put their traffic monitoring equipment out) and the fact that at the morrisons roundabout the traffic doesn't get chance to get out due to the large amounts of traffic coming from Catcliffe/treeton... That's the reason it all backs up.

It will only get worse as more houses are built. i appreciate the need for housing but that area will grind to a stop soon unless a new road is built out of it and that wont happen unless the Rotherham and Sheffield councils sort their acts out as the DfT has said i will not fund it until they are in alignment

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/local-authority-major-transport-schemes/waverley-link-decision-letter.pdf

Isn't HS2 going right through this site?

No, it'll be more Woodhouse Mill/Beighton/Killamarsh/Catcliffe area. Not far away though.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/69015/hs2-arp-lr0-dr-rt-55140_3-0.pdf

---------- Post added 13-02-2014 at 12:35 ----------

It will only get worse as more houses are built. i appreciate the need for housing but that area will grind to a stop soon unless a new road is built out of it and that wont happen unless the Rotherham and Sheffield councils sort their acts out as the DfT has said i will not fund it until they are in alignment

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/local-authority-major-transport-schemes/waverley-link-decision-letter.pdf

I imagine most people living there will head for Sheffield Parkway so that roundabout will be very busy.

A new railway station, close to the housing estate in the other direction would be handy and offer a fast route direct into Sheffield City Centre.

Edited by Andy C

No, it'll be more Woodhouse Mill/Beighton/Killamarsh/Catcliffe area. Not far away though.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/69015/hs2-arp-lr0-dr-rt-55140_3-0.pdf

According to your link HS2 is going right next to Treeton Dyke, then it skirts across the land behind it. Isn't Waverley being built upon that land.

According to your link HS2 is going right next to Treeton Dyke, then it skirts across the land behind it. Isn't Waverley being built upon that land.

HS2 is likely to encroach on the Waverley land but it will be the edge closest to the River Rother so it won't really affect any of the houses that are being built at the moment. I imagine any passing trains will be going pretty slow around that area as they pull away from/approach Meadowhall station.

We drove past this weekend, and a footpath to the station has been tarmacked, and turfing laid to the edge of the pavement (despite all of the other grass in the area being visibly dead)

4000 houses on a flood plain? They won't need a station, they'll need a dock.

If they are flooded then there will be all of Beighton under a great deal of water. The area where the houses are being built is well above any flood plain.