Waverley Train Station

What are people's views on a train station at the Waverley development? Currently there are stations at Woodhouse and Darnall and trains that go into town on a regular basis. Surely this would be a no-brainer as it would service the new Waverley community, Advanced Manufacturing Park including the new AMRC building which I imagine attracts lots of students who live in the city centre, Catcliffe & Handsworth.

Something needs to be done about the traffic around the Handsworth & Catcliffe junctions of the parkway which is getting a bit ridiculous now.

And where would this station be?

There wouldn't be enough trade to justify a station.

The problem with the development at Waverley is I doubt no one (developers or council) took a long term view with regards transport links.

I'm currently looking at buying a house there and the woman in the Barratts sales office told me there is already plans for a train station, and it will be getting built soon?

And where would this station be?

erm... Waverley?

There wouldn't be enough trade to justify a station.

Really? 4000 homes due to be built at Waverley, thousands of employees at the AMP/AMRC, gotta be up to 15k in Handsworth, 10k Catcliffe. I reckon that's more than the catchment area of both Woodhouse & Darnall stations.

The footbridge is already there. It just needs a platform and a ticket machine!

Looking at the map http://goo.gl/maps/MwYoY if you are proposing a station between Darnall and Woodhouse it would be on the B6066 Highfield Lane, however it would be in the middle of nowhere and require a feeder bus to be of much use.

Wouldn't it be better to get the old railway and station at Catcliffe reopened?!

I wouldn't call it Waverley station - people would probably confuse it with Edinburgh.

I wouldn't call it Waverley station - people would probably confuse it with Edinburgh.

I just did.

I'm currently looking at buying a house there and the woman in the Barratts sales office told me there is already plans for a train station, and it will be getting built soon?

Estate agent in telling lies shocker.

erm... Waverley?

Really? 4000 homes due to be built at Waverley, thousands of employees at the AMP/AMRC, gotta be up to 15k in Handsworth, 10k Catcliffe. I reckon that's more than the catchment area of both Woodhouse & Darnall stations.

The footbridge is already there. It just needs a platform and a ticket machine!

I think you need to have a walk and see, you can't just plonk a station down and it would need major work to make a station into the cutting.

The station at Woodhouse using that analogy would be catchment for Woodhouse, Handsworth, Beighton, Orgreave, so quite a few more but I catch it twice a day and theres not many that use it, same for Darnall.

What cutting? The lines in the open on the stretch paralel to the new housing development.

Like there was for Swallownest station (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swallownest_railway_station)?

Edited by CheekyBandit

I doubt it would be feasible. If transport was so in demand then there would be a more regular service on the line serving the current stations anyway. On top of that the most popular direction would be to Sheffield and back. The x14 and A1 already does this and neither are particularly frequent. As a result, they aren't busy enough to justify a new station. Looking in the other direction, you have Retford and Lincoln as important stops. Neither of which would be popular enough from Waverley. The main aspect though with the AMP is it's so close to. The m1 that it'll not even attract further business.