Scottish Referendum

People forget the Scots hold a lot of trump cards.

A massive renewable energy capacity, capable of generating way more than they need.

60% of proven oil reserves in the EU

12% of proven reserves of gas in the EU

70% of the UK's coal

<snip>

This is one thing I often wonder about. Are the oil and gas reserves within 12 miles of the Scottish coast or are they out in the open sea ? Because if they are in the open sea, surely they belong to whoever gets them ?

Genuine question(s).

This is one thing I often wonder about. Are the oil and gas reserves within 12 miles of the Scottish coast or are they out in the open sea ? Because if they are in the open sea, surely they belong to whoever gets them ?

Genuine question(s).

Good question.

Marine mineral rights are based on something called an Exclusive economic Zone (EEZ) which stretches 200 miles from the coast or until it meets an EEZ of another country. For oil and gas purposes the North Sea is carved up in that way.

Your attitude is one of pure spite.

Have you been to Scotland? You can be subject to anti-English racism on Princess street in the capital Edinburgh.

Per capita, Scotland received more money from Central government then the English and then has the audacity to charge English students to study in its universities which is in breach of EU law.

Alex Samond is buying votes with English money and we have had to put up with his anti-English retrorocket for years!

I don't blame people for feeling a little bit of spite towards the Scottish. They certainly do not appear to appreciate the help and support they receive form the rest of the UK.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 09:40 ----------

Good question.

Marine mineral rights are based on something called an Exclusive economic Zone (EEZ) which stretches 200 miles from the coast or until it meets an EEZ of another country. For oil and gas purposes the North Sea is carved up in that way.

Good point and one that Samond appears to have missed is that the Orkney Islands and the Shetlands do not want to be part of Scotland as an independent nation. They want to be part of the UK. The oil fields that Samond seems to think will pay his way are clustered around these island and so would not be part of Scotland, but rather remain within the UK's EEZ.

Good question.

Thanks - wasn't aware of that.

Have you been to Scotland? You can be subject to anti-English racism on Princess street in the capital Edinburgh.

I have to ask, what exactly were you doing to attract this 'anti-English racism?

I have been to Scotland many times on business and three times for short breaks. I have stayed overnight and gone out in the evening in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Perth.

Have also spent the day in Aberdeen, and on not one single occasion has any Scot been less than friendly to me.

Not saying there aren't a few Scots with a chip on their shoulder but they are in the minority in my experience.

As for them joining the EU we would vote for them because they would be seen as a future ally in EU politics.

Their problem would be Spain, they have their own independence problems and wouldn't want to encourage the Catalans and Basques to go the same way.

Per capita, Scotland received more money from Central government then the English and then has the audacity to charge English students to study in its universities which is in breach of EU law.

Alex Samond is buying votes with English money and we have had to put up with his anti-English retrorocket for years!

I don't blame people for feeling a little bit of spite towards the Scottish. They certainly do not appear to appreciate the help and support they receive form the rest of the UK.

Good point and one that Samond appears to have missed is that the Orkney Islands and the Shetlands do not want to be part of Scotland as an independent nation. They want to be part of the UK. The oil fields that Samond seems to think will pay his way are clustered around these island and so would not be part of Scotland, but rather remain within the UK's EEZ.

Have to be honest I don't like the Scots much as a people but I'm not going to let that cloud my views about this issue. That said, I've never had any trouble whenever I've been there.

The Orkney/Shetlands thing could get very interesting. I'm not sure they want to be part of the UK on the same terms as now. It looks like they want a similar status to the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man - to become a dependency rather than remain an integral part of the UK.

I have to ask, what exactly were you doing to attract this 'anti-English racism?

A stones throw form the Balmoral Hotel on the corner of Leith Street.

Scottish Person: "Excuse me can I ask you a few questions".

Me: "Sorry, I'm too busy, I'm on my way to Waverley".

Scottish Person: "Oh, you're English, go away".

Me: "What!"

Scottish person ignores me and starts talking to another passer by.

My father a few years back was driving through a town in Scotland and stopped to ask for directions. One teenager was about to reply when the other said "Your English..." the last of which was for him to go forth and multiply.

I don't wish for Scotland to leave the UK, but I can see why some people are finally letting their dislike of the scots come to the surface over this issue. Especially when we are treated badly by certain people in Scotland and its elected government.

The whole, Scottish MP's voting on English only laws is nothing more than to spite England. If they had any respect they would abstain from voting.

Edited by WeX

That's not racism as such, more a case of nationalistic bigotry.

You'd probably experience the exact same attitude in deep Wales (analogical deduction), and would definitely experience it in Ireland (factual and unfortunately oft-repeated experience...which, each time, was a bit rich, considering I'm from the Continent :hihi: It made for savoury, and duly savoured, comebacks :D).

Rise above it, WeX. Small minds, thankfully they are a small minority, however noisy they may be.

Edited by L00b

You'd probably experience the exact same attitude in deep Wales (analogical deduction), and would definitely experience it in Ireland (factual and unfortunately oft-repeated experience).

To be honest, your description is probably a better one.

Wales is just as bad if not worse I hear, but I have little experience of southern Wales. I read somewhere that Wales was the most racist place in the world once. How true it was I'm unsure but interesting none the less.

Edit: I suspect it was and possibly still is an issue: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/racism-still-significant-issue-wales-2018405

You'd probably experience the exact same attitude in deep Wales (analogical deduction), and would definitely experience it in Ireland (factual and unfortunately oft-repeated experience).

Rise above it, WeX. Small minds, thankfully they are a minority.

What have the Irish got against the French?

What have the Irish got against the French?
I don't sound French.

According to most, I sound a mix of Yorkshire (mostly, through intonations and local expressions) and 'somewhere' (not French, not quite British either - most people who meet me have to ask).

'been round'ere a while ;)

PS - the Irish don't have "something against the French", they have something against anyone who's not Irish (actual or by ancestry) :D

Edited by L00b

I don't sound French.

According to most, I sound a mix of Yorkshire (mostly, through intonations and local expressions) and 'somewhere' (not French, not quite British either - most people who meet me have to ask).

'been round'ere a while ;)

I know a Frenchman who has lived in Edinburgh for years. Great bloke, can't understand a word he says though.