Scottish Referendum

If the Scots go independent they should be prevented from using the English language in any kind of official capacity. They should have to go back to Gaelic, or maybe use Esperanto since they are so enamoured with the EU.

Ĉesu esti tiel melodraman.

I'd like to hope that to, but if the Scots don't want to be friends and allies, so be it. They can't treat us with scorn and then expect help when they are invaded.

They do want to retain close links with what remains of the UK. They haven't said anything else.

Nobody is going to invade them.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 00:01 ----------

In what way are they threatening them?

All they've said is that if Scotland decide to go alone, they'll have to go alone, not cherry-pick the bits of their current relationships that their authorities deem worthwhile to keep.

To threaten them would be to say "if you vote yes, we'll send in the troops and conquer you within the week and reclaim the country. Only this time you won't have any representatives as Scotland would cease to exist".

It's more the tone than the actual content.

Interesting times. The way I see it is that the way things are going makes it more rather than less likely that if there a 'Yes' vote then Scotland will dictate the terms, not Westminster. And that is what terrifies the out of touch elite at Westminster.

Happ Hazzard

If the Scots go independent they should be prevented from using the English language in any kind of official capacity. They should have to go back to Gaelic, or maybe use Esperanto since they are so enamoured with the EU.

Research who invented the english language. .. Who invented the game of football? Who invented ( founder of bank of england ) ... I think you will find NOT The English.

Interesting times. The way I see it is that the way things are going makes it more rather than less likely that if there a 'Yes' vote then Scotland will dictate the terms, not Westminster. And that is what terrifies the out of touch elite at Westminster.

I think what terrifies them is if they vote yes and make a good go of it and places like the north of England start talking of devolving and having regional government separate to the south.

Happ Hazzard

Are you serious, or is this the daftest attempt at a wind up ever? :)

Who invented the English language? The Germans, it's a Germanic language. :)

Additionally the French, there are over 10,000 words that were originally French in common usage in the English language.

Just about every military term used is French, Battle,Military,Corp,the majority of the ranks, Reconnaissance,Espionage, Battalion etc etc.

Why? Because the French are the most successful military race in Europe and probably the World.

Get hold of a copy of the OED and look at the origin of the words.

Just about every country in the world has contributed to English vocabulary, which is Latin, from vocabularius.

And nobody 'owns' a language.

My first thought was that the Scots would never vote Yes, but if the kind of nonsense some English people are coming out with becomes common knowledge in Scotland it may just tip the balance that way.

Hypothetical situation (maybe). A country invades an “independent” Scotland, just like the Argies invaded the Falklands. We know who went to the aid of the Falkland Islanders. But, who would help Scotland?

We would. :)

Are you serious, or is this the daftest attempt at a wind up ever? :)

Who invented the English language? The Germans, it's a Germanic language. :)

Additionally the French, there are over 10,000 words that were originally French in common usage in the English language.

Just about every military term used is French, Battle,Military,Corp,the majority of the ranks, Reconnaissance,Espionage, Battalion etc etc.

Why? Because the French are the most successful military race in Europe and probably the World.

Get hold of a copy of the OED and look at the origin of the words.

Just about every country in the world has contributed to English vocabulary, which is Latin, from vocabularius.

And nobody 'owns' a language.

My first thought was that the Scots would never vote Yes, but if the kind of nonsense some English people are coming out with becomes common knowledge in Scotland it may just tip the balance that way.

Cool .... Can you let Happ Hazzard Know!!!

Our two countries are too interwoven not to be friends and allies. We have too much history together for it to all go over night after a Yes vote, we would have to respect their wish and deal with it.

Totally agree, just as we should not expect retribution from the EU if we ever leave, Scotland should not expect it from the rest of the UK if they leave our union. We can continue being the best of neighbours as we always have been.

Totally agree, just as we should not expect retribution from the EU if we ever leave, Scotland should not expect it from the rest of the UK if they leave our union. We can continue being the best of neighbours as we always have been.

Well if it comes to a vote and we are still in Europe, I'm sure we would vote to have you in or at the very least abstain.

Just for fun , Only a few ..... http://www.magicdragon.com/Wallace/thingscot.html

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 02:18 ----------

Without a scotsman you would not be looking at this forum ( THE WORLD) ... Fact! Think on!

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 02:20 ----------

Oh ... Your phone... TV ..... Again Scottish!.... You think they need England?!?! lol

Edited by amberleaf808

Who invented the game of football?

Not the Scots, according to Google. What are you referring to when your trying to associate the invention of football and Scotland, the name ?

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 03:46 ----------

Just for fun , Only a few ..... http://www.magicdragon.com/Wallace/thingscot.html

According to that your taking credit for king Arthur :hihi:

There's many a theory as to that legend.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 03:53 ----------

Research who invented the english language. .. Who invented the game of football? Who invented ( founder of bank of england ) ... I think you will find NOT The English.

The least you could do would be to have enough respect to use a capitol E in England, or was your education lacking ?

I don't think there would be a forum large enough to state all the things the world owed to English people, so lets not get into a who did this or that.

And wouldn't it be ironic if, like you say, the founder of the Bank of England was a Scot, and you won't be able to have anything to do with it after a Yes vote :hihi:

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 03:57 ----------

Oh ... Your phone...

I have a mobile and I would like to dedicate that invention to Gene Roddenberry, who conceived the Star Trek series.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 04:00 ----------

Here's something hypothetical to think of Amberleaf, The Scots vote yes, the Bank of England won't let you use the £, you turn to the EU and the British Veto your joining. ;)

Edited by Mr Clowning

People forget the Scots hold a lot of trump cards.

A massive renewable energy capacity, capable of generating way more than they need.

60% of proven oil reserves in the EU

12% of proven reserves of gas in the EU

70% of the UK's coal

The UK's only operational base for nuclear-armed subs, key to our seat on the UN security council

They could take back control of their fisheries

The capability to just walk away from it's share of UK debt. They could do it - they'd have a tough few years like Iceland did after default, another northern country with abundant energy and natural resources, but it's those resources that will eventually underpin its own currency.

If they set up their own currency their financial sector would rapidly shrink, as larger banks relocate to England to have the BofE as a lender of last resort. But crucially Scotland would lose the high risk financial operations, be free of them forever.

I think there's a chance that within 20-30 years Scotland could become a country much like Norway. They may not need the EU and they certainly won't need the rest of the UK. If it turns out they don't need the EU then it's what may eventually make the Ukip case irresistible.

It's why Westminster is running scared. It's everything the cosy elite don't want: a green, resource-rich country giving the rods to the banks and institutions that increasingly control our lives for the worse.