Scottish Referendum

Which shows you exactly what a powerful, intelligent hard working country Germany is.

It took the combined efforts of 17 + countries to defeat them in World War I and 19 countries in World war II.

On both occasions they were the most powerful country in the world at that time.

In fairness to them they have acknowledged their culpability for past actions as a nation and I don't think they are a danger in military terms for the future.

On the other hand if they become top dogs by hard work, invention and application then fair play to them.

Other nations, including us, are going to have to up our game and compete.

Not having to spend Billions on armed forces won't have hurt, leaving them to pump money into building the economy.

And it wasn't quite just Germany against the world, they had the Austrians, the Italians and Japan ect.

Not that I'm trying to belittle them, they are a great nation and have always been a key player in European matters.

Not having to spend Billions on armed forces won't have hurt, leaving them to pump money into building the economy.

And it wasn't quite just Germany against the world, they had the Austrians, the Italians and Japan ect.

Not that I'm trying to belittle them, they are a great nation and have always been a key player in European matters.

Agreed, but it's our choice, or should I say our beloved leaders choice, to 'spend billions on armed forces' isn't it?

No one is forcing us into spending that money are they?

Our leaders miss the Empire and the power it conferred , even though none of them were around when it existed.

Did you see Tony Blair strutting around Camp David next to Dubya positively aroused by his proximity to real power?

That is what it's all about, politicians wanting to mix with the 'Big Guns', wanting to sit at the top table and increase their after dinner speaker fees for when they retire.

Blair's a multi millionaire as a result of asking 'How High?' when George told him to jump.

As a country we can no longer afford all that nonsense. We need to concentrate on improving our competitiveness, productivity, and the inventiveness for which we're famous.

Not very exciting though is it, in international terms? Benefits the man and woman in the street of course, but doesn't do a great deal for our leaders self esteem and pulling power, financially speaking does it?

Doesn't get the 'powers that be' sat at the top table rubbing shoulders with the real power brokers does it?

Best forget about it then, lets continue to be Americas lap dog, and keep traveling to foreign countries, meeting exotic people, and kill them.

You know it makes sense. :(

If we don't have armed forces then how are we going to invade and take over Scotland ? :D

If we don't have armed forces then how are we going to invade and take over Scotland ? :D

I wouldn't advise that as a course of action. On a number of occasions I've stayed in Scotland.

Have you ever been for a drink down Glasgow's Sauchiehall St of an evening?

I have on more than one occasion, and would urge caution on any invasion plans. :o

Actually, that does beg the question what happens to the Scottish Regiments in the unlikely event of them voting yes?

How can Alex Salmond declare he wants Scotland to become independent when they will be part of the EU?

How can Alex Salmond declare he wants Scotland to become independent when they will be part of the EU?

Eh? Are you suggesting that Britain, France, Germany etc are no longer independent countries because their all in the EU?

The funny thing is, Scotland will have to apply to become part of the EU, which now has a clause that all countries that join HAVE to take the Euro within so many years. The Baltic states are part way through converting. Latvia joined the eurozone on 1st January while Estonia has been in the eurozone a while while Lithuania is set to change next year. Other nations such as Poland, Romania Finland, Bulgaria and others are obliged to join the Euro too. Only the UK and Denmark have an opt-out.

If Scotland becomes independent it will cease to be part of the UK and so will need to negotiate its way into the EU and by doing so they will be obliged to take on the Euro within a specific time frame.

This is something Alex Samond does not wish to talk about. He is a typical arrogant politician driven by a dislike of the English rather than what is best for the people of Scotland. He is cutting off Scotland nose to spite its face and it will leave Scotland a windy, rainy unimportant backwater within the EU, with no more power to control its own destiny that it currently has.

Eh? Are you suggesting that Britain, France, Germany etc are no longer independent countries because their all in the EU?

Well the EU seems to be override the democratically voted government, so no country that is part of the EU can really be said to be independent. I think it's high time the whole EU was dissolved. Nobody wants it other than the few with their snouts in the trough. Abolish it and just let countries have their own bilateral agreements with other countries.

Well the EU seems to be override the democratically voted government, so no country that is part of the EU can really be said to be independent. I think it's high time the whole EU was dissolved. Nobody wants it other than the few with their snouts in the trough. Abolish it and just let countries have their own bilateral agreements with other countries.

I disagree, it doesn't want dissolving, it wants drastically reforming and returning to something like the original concept of a friendly co-operating open market.

The people to blame for the grotesque all embracing top heavy interfering nonsense we have ended up with are the politicians, who just can't stop themselves from continually legislating for every thing they can think of, whether or not it needed it, or anyone requested it.

That's all these people do, legislate. Putting a bunch of politicians into a European parliament and leaving them to it was a recipe for disaster.

Like putting 20 rabbits on an island with no predators and coming back two years later and being taken aback by the fact you can't move without standing on one.

As for nobody wants the EU a survey conducted by the CBI and reported in The Times records that 8 out of 10 companies wish to remain in the EU.

It requires reforming urgently but leaving it would cause major economic problems, and we've already got enough of them to be going on with. :(

I'm part Scottish my mother is Scottish,all my family are against Scotland going it on their own none of them seem to like or trust what Alex salmons is saying.the Scots really need to think about it there will be no NHS no DHS they will have to sort all that out and what kind of tax are they going to paying to cover all that,there is a lot of unemployed people in Scotland,just paying unemployment and housing benefits will bust them,there's to many connections between us to sever that easy personally I could not imagine Scotland not being part of the UK..

I can't see anything changing, the Scots have to much sense to go independent, although if they do, it would do wonders for the building industry with the amount of brickies needed to re-build Hadrians Wall.

If the Scots go independent they should be prevented from using the English language in any kind of official capacity. They should have to go back to Gaelic, or maybe use Esperanto since they are so enamoured with the EU.