Scottish Referendum

Loob, sorry to hear you and your wife had to put up with that type of behaviour. As I'm sure you appreciate every country has their share of low life idiots.

As I say I've never encountered it and although I'm Anglo-Irish you can't tell by listening to me, so unless someone over there actually new me they would assume I'm English. My wife is English and has been accompanying me for 42 years and has also never had to put up with that type of nonsense.

One of the things which I most admire about the Irish is their good humour and friendliness as a general rule.

For example yesterday I attended the cup game at Bramall Lane. There were 25,000 people there and it required a massive police presence and a helicopter overhead.

There was an atmosphere of intimidation after the match, and everyone was pleased that it went off without too much trouble.

On the 8th of September last year I attended the All Ireland Hurling final at Croke Park, there were 82,260 people in the crowd.

Everyone had been out in Dublin the previous night, mixing, drinking and taking the mick.

Both sets of supporters mixed in the pubs and on the streets prior to and after the game.

There was no segregation in the ground, and Hill 16 which holds thousands behind one goal has remained standing by request.

The game was drawn and the replay a few weeks later had the same crowd figure.

There was no trouble at either match, apart from on the pitch, which was to be expected.

The game is pure tribal, 15 Claremen against 15 Corkmen no transfered in foreigners, no other counties, us against them, total passion and commitment.

Despite which, the Irish know how to behave, shame we can't do the same over here.

Loob, sorry to hear you and your wife had to put up with that type of behaviour. As I'm sure you appreciate every country has their share of low life idiots.
No worries :) and yes, I do. It just came as a bit of a shock at the time. But we were pretty thick-skinned already.

I may post a brief neg-ish comment here or there, but that does not stop us going back nearly every year to visit friends and ex-neighbours, go up the hills for an evening at Johnny Fox's, and take some walks around Marlay Park and St S'Green and reminisce. Though I don't miss the pints at £5.something a pop :twisted:

One of the things which I most admire about the Irish is their good humour and friendliness as a general rule.
I very much enjoy their 'special' brand of political incorrectness, and the frequently-raw edge of their humour.

Certainly can't say as much for the Scots: if Billy Connolly is their best, well... ;):D

Edited by L00b

No worries :) and yes, I do. It just came as a bit of a shock at the time. But we were pretty thick-skinned already.I very much enjoy their 'special' brand of political incorrectness, and the frequently-raw edge of their humour.

Certainly can't say as much for the Scots: if Billy Connolly is their best, well... ;):D

Yes they do like to have a laugh, and I've spent some of the most enjoyable times of my life over there having a laugh with them. :)

Incidentally your legal expertise would be welcome on the 'EU stabs Scotland in the back' thread. :)

And the oil rights allocated to the UK and not Scotland.

It would just be a point for negotiation. The UK government has already played its opening gambit for where the dividing line would be drawn. It recognises that it would need to be negotiated.

And the oil rights allocated to the UK and not Scotland.

That's right, I think we should keep taking the oil until the Scottish navy turn up :D

Once upon a time, a law was passed which allowed a SLAVE the possibility of freedom. Prior to the law being passed all slaves were told of how liberating, and how life could and would change for them, offering prosperity and more.

After the law was passed the slave owners told the slaves that if they left the plantation, they could never return, their housing was gone, their food supply in fact all the things they took for granted, except exploitation which was never mentioned, would disappear.

They were o their own, and would most likely starve, as who would pay for them to work, as without money they could not buy food or shelter, ad the slave-master would give them nothing if they left, except their freedom.

This frightened may slaves, and better the Devil you know was the talk of the day. Most were frightened by the stories of freed slaved starving to death, being murdered, and being miserable.

But what should the slaves do take a chance or accept slavery forever, it was a choice that many started to dread.

What might you do, take a chance or accept slavery, exploitation, poor housing and food, for you, your family and children for generations to come?

On the subject of the oil being the saviour for a future Scottish economy, if the Shetland Isles do not wish to be part of an independent Scotland, that will mean the only oil field available to Scotland would be "Forties". Brent and Ekofisk would be UK controlled.

All of which are degrading but Samond is trying to pull the wool over the Scottish voters. Oil will not be the driving force behind their economy and while refinement is currently a large scale employer in Scotland, if they are not part of the EU (which is another argument) I see these companies upping and crossing the boarder to the UK.

All of which are degrading but Samond is trying to pull the wool over the Scottish voters. Oil will not be the driving force behind their economy and while refinement is currently a large scale employer in Scotland, if they are not part of the EU (which is another argument) I see these companies upping and crossing the boarder to the UK.

It seems to me, that the closer we are getting to the referendum date, the more facts are coming out and the less attractive an independent Scotland would be. Samond has spent several years able to use rhetoric, supposition, perception and blind faith to support the idea of independence, but now things are actually being discussed and decided on, many of those original statements are falling apart. I suspect (and hope) the same would be true of a referendum on the UK and the EU.

It seems to me, that the closer we are getting to the referendum date, the more facts are coming out and the less attractive an independent Scotland would be. Samond has spent several years able to use rhetoric, supposition, perception and blind faith to support the idea of independence, but now things are actually being discussed and decided on, many of those original statements are falling apart. I suspect (and hope) the same would be true of a referendum on the UK and the EU.

The whole concept of HS2 can be seen in a different light if Scotland was independent. What incentive is there for the UK to improve infrastructure north of Newcastle if we are no longer trying to persuade investors to open businesses in Scotland. As there would be no incentive for us to make it easy for Scotland to export to Europe or Europe to export to Scotland the rail network above Newcastle could be downgraded to a branch line.

I'm up in Edinburgh at the moment and the concensus amongst people I've spoken to is that it will be a No vote.

They may talk a good fight but when in the voting booth with that pencil and bit of paper they'll vote for the devil they know.

Despite Conservative Mps being rarer than rocking horse poo up here the Scots have a long tradition of conservativism. There are also many who just don't trust anything Salmond says.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Probably very true. In fact looking at Samond and Farage, they do both have a very similar forthright presentation to their political opinions.

I'm up in Edinburgh at the moment and the concensus amongst people I've spoken to is that it will be a No vote.

They may talk a good fight but when in the voting booth with that pencil and bit of paper they'll vote for the devil they know.

Despite Conservative Mps being rarer than rocking horse poo up here the Scots have a long tradition of conservativism. There are also many who just don't trust anything Salmond says.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Never believed they'd vote yes, they just don't have what it takes in my opinion.

The only thing that could change that is if various politicians from different parties down here don't shut up.

The way they are going on about persuading the Scots to stay is totally counter productive, and liable to have the exact opposite effect.

It goes to show what a bunch of incompetents they are, I wouldn't trust them to persuade a drowning man to have the loan of a lifebelt.