In Car CCTV (11 characters)

@ Ash

Ive been supplied a firmware update which gives you the option of changing the speed counter from KPH to MPH. Check your menu, if you can already choose MPH then you have the latest version. If you dont then let me know and ill mail you the (tiny) firmware update with instructions on how to apply it.

---------- Post added 20-02-2014 at 12:00 ----------

Up to speed?

In a Lada? I doubt that :D

yeah I've set it to MPH. The software doesn't do anything, nothing to load or click on. I think it's because on Win8, because in one of the files you have to pick XP/Vista or 7.

I notice on mine too, that it doesn't keep the time. I've changed the time a few times, but it just defaults to a random time.

yeah I've set it to MPH. The software doesn't do anything, nothing to load or click on. I think it's because on Win8, because in one of the files you have to pick XP/Vista or 7.

I notice on mine too, that it doesn't keep the time. I've changed the time a few times, but it just defaults to a random time.

If it's like mine the unit has an in-built "World Standard Time" (it's not called that but it's something along those lines and for some reason "GMT" is not used) - UK- time is currently "standard time +1(hour)".

The time is controlled by GPS.

To turn off the GPS you need to set it to "closed" but its better to use the + hour and - hours funtion and leave the GPS on.

Make sure the time setting is set to 0 or +1, im not sure which. By default mine was set to + 8 hours so when ever i set the time it was always 8 hours ahead. When i changed it to 0 then set the time it worked perfectly. Its in the settings menu. If you have any trouble finding it and setting it im free all of today so i can nip round and set it up for you.

As for the Windows 8 problem. The only way around this i know if is to run it in compatibility mode for win xp or win 7. I run win 7 so its not a problem ive personally come across but after a bit of diggin around found a few people who got it to work on win 8 machines.

---------- Post added 21-02-2014 at 10:41 ----------

Ive got one and its poor. It records in Mjpeg and the quality is bad so its relegated to status of spare in case my proper camera goes tits up.

Edited by Lee_

Ive got one and its poor. It records in Mjpeg and the quality is bad so its relegated to status of spare in case my proper camera goes tits up.

What one have you got Lee?

What one have you got Lee?

Originally i used this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-LCD-TFT-Full-HD-6-LED-270-Car-Vehicle-DVR-Dash-Camera-Crash-Cam-Recorder-/171204894000?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27dc9b5d30

But i paid 22 quid for it. Its ok but the quality isnt there. I needed the footage for something but when i looked at it the detail was poor, you couldnt really see the number plate and it was jerky.

Its fine for a rear facing camera but for a front one its not up to scratch. I still keep it as a spare though

My camera i use now is the one i recommended to the op, this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F2GMUPU/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00F2GMUPU&linkCode=as2&tag=techmoancom-20

and its a big step up in terms of quality and features. Its alos so much more discreet i dont even need to take it out of the car.

Its almost invisible.

That is a massive jump up in price though.

I dont think the quality needs to be HD. For insurance purposes i think they only need to get the gist of an accident.

That is a massive jump up in price though.

I dont think the quality needs to be HD. For insurance purposes i think they only need to get the gist of an accident.

The jump in price is not as steep when you see the difference in quality. Im a tight northerner, i dont spend anything i dont need to but i have to say its very good value for money. This unit also has GPS for location and speed details at time of impact and it also deals with changes in light waaaaaaaaaaay better than the cheaper one.

Your probably spot on about the insurance thing but the way i see it is the more detail the better.