Gold & Silver Doc Martens

I am currently looking at the way people dressed in the 1970's. I have found out a lot of information on the Forum.

But am I correct in thinking that in the 1970's Blades and Wednesday fans wore Gold and Silver Doc Martens?

I thought I read about this sometime ago on this forum.

Not 100% sure but did the News of the World do an article about this. Any information would be appreciated.

It was not massively common, i.e. not everyone did it, but I do remember some lads in Silver Doc Martens (normal ones sprayed silver), and also remember someone wearing Loafers sprayed silver as well.

It was not massively common, i.e. not everyone did it, but I do remember some lads in Silver Doc Martens (normal ones sprayed silver), and also remember someone wearing Loafers sprayed silver as well.

Thanks for that Grappler. My understanding is Blades wore 'gold' and Wednesday wore 'silver'.

I may have read about this on a football forum but sure it was on here.

I am sure Canada Blade made reference to the 'gold' boots in a post in the long distant past. Maybe if he logs on he may recall more.

The News of the World article was focussed on one fan.

Thanks again.

The doc martins were red and black.I had both but loved using the ox blood polish on the boots as they got older.I think grappler is correct regarding the spraying but i ve no idea about either swfc fans or sufc lads wearing specific colours.There was a crass song sung by skinheads in the 70s regarding "there silver boots are shining"were going!!!!!.

I remember lads at school with painted Doc Martins. I think Wendy's wore gold and Blades silver.

Thanks for that Grappler. My understanding is Blades wore 'gold' and Wednesday wore 'silver'.

I may have read about this on a football forum but sure it was on here.

I am sure Canada Blade made reference to the 'gold' boots in a post in the long distant past. Maybe if he logs on he may recall more.

The News of the World article was focussed on one fan.

Thanks again.

No Abbey, I know Blades who had silver DM boots as well as Gold, I don't think the colour meant anything other than it was the era of Glam Rock.

---------- Post added 07-02-2014 at 23:02 ----------

The doc martins were red and black.I had both but loved using the ox blood polish on the boots as they got older.I think grappler is correct regarding the spraying but i ve no idea about either swfc fans or sufc lads wearing specific colours.There was a crass song sung by skinheads in the 70s regarding "there silver boots are shining"were going!!!!!.

Ox Blood was a dark colour, in the mid 70's there was a polish called "Tonette" which was a lighter colour, very cool!!!

Ox Blood was a dark colour, in the mid 70's there was a polish called "Tonette" which was a lighter colour, very cool!!!

That was mostly for posh people though.

The rest of us used Dubbin:)

Nobody sprayed their Docs in 1970s Dinnington.

That was mostly for posh people though.

The rest of us used Dubbin:)

Nobody sprayed their Docs in 1970s Dinnington.

Yes us Gleadless Valley lads were quite posh! :hihi:

Dubbin was better on footy boots.

Why the 70s my daughter forced me into buying a pair around 2005 cost me a small fortune and landed up in the thrift store

I sprayed mine silver every week at work,thought they looked the dogs nuts looking back now i bet i looked a right dick:hihi::hihi:

I can also remember lads at the fun fair with silver DM's, that also had red stars sprayed on with a stencil of some sort

You get this reference all the time in discussions about the 60s and 70s. As a regular at United matches During this period I don't remember seeing it, although it may have just pass me by. I remember mid 1970's everyone wearing donkey jackets to matches, a celebration of hard working class culture