How to secure a banner to a brick wall

Advice needed please.

I'm being a real girl I'm afraid. I have a pvc banner with metal eyelet hole thingies in it and I need to attach it to a brick wall.

How on earth do I do that????????

Thanks in advance

inside or outside?

If outside there maybe H&S issues that you may need to follow to make it secure and reduce the risk of claims there may also be issues with the council too.

Edited by xdbx

We have to secure our band banner to all sorts of things, so I feel your pain! :)

In the past, on plain walls we've used a lot (and I mean A LOT) of gaffer tape, where there are no objects to tie to. Alternatively, if there's even the slightest hint of something sticking out, then it's string or cable ties through the eyelets. Or a mixture of both.

As banners are fairly light, they tend to stay up, but you need to get creative depending on your surface!

I'm being a real girl I'm afraid. I have a pvc banner with metal eyelet hole thingies in it and I need to attach it to a brick wall.

My local council attached a similar banner to the local Town Hall with masonry nails into the stonework. I thought it was a terrible way to do it, into the plaster work would have been ok, but not the 100+ year old large sandstone blocks.

Masonry nails in the mortar at an angle and then attach cable ties?

We have to secure our band banner to all sorts of things, so I feel your pain! :)

In the past, on plain walls we've used a lot (and I mean A LOT) of gaffer tape, where there are no objects to tie to. Alternatively, if there's even the slightest hint of something sticking out, then it's string or cable ties through the eyelets. Or a mixture of both.

As banners are fairly light, they tend to stay up, but you need to get creative depending on your surface!

That's not bad advice.

In an ideal world you need two eyebolts and some wire rope but I can't see the venue letting you go mental with a power drill. In the case of the OP it might be better for you to bin the banner (presumably for slimming world?) and go for a free standing pull up banner. They don't cost a lot and you won't get kicked out of your current venue for bashing in the walls!!

I suppose it depends how big the banner is and how exposed to the elements. For a large banner, I would be inclined to screw a couple of wooden batons up, a similar length to the piece (top and bottom), then place your hooks etc in the relevant places for the eyelets.

I suppose it depends how big the banner is and how exposed to the elements. For a large banner, I would be inclined to screw a couple of wooden batons up, a similar length to the piece (top and bottom), then place your hooks etc in the relevant places for the eyelets.

and if your allowed to do this making sure its at a hight that no one can accidentally impale themselves on the hooks.

Here's a link I was told to look at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/outdoor-advertisements-and-signs-a-guide-for-advertisers

Edited by xdbx

You can get small roll bolts that have a ringed end to attach things like this.

Don't cut corners, do it right, you don't want it blowing off onto a moving cars windshield.

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 14:33 ----------

Something like these, although I have some that are a flattened end with an hole in them.

http://www.pabbos.com/list/Other-Anchors-fasteners

Massive assumptions you can start hammering away at walls. And is it inside or out? Clarification needed op!

Thanks for all of your suggestions and ideas. The location is the outside wall of a nearby

hotel, they attach their own banners from time to time, so have no concerns. I just don't want us turning up and making a hash of it. It is a purpose made heavy duty banner, so will fine in all weathers and is a long term arrangement, so needs to be secure. It is a low wall though, so want to avoid any protruding fixings.

Thanks again

Thanks for all of your suggestions and ideas. The location is the outside wall of a nearby

hotel, they attach their own banners from time to time, so have no concerns. I just don't want us turning up and making a hash of it. It is a purpose made heavy duty banner, so will fine in all weathers and is a long term arrangement, so needs to be secure. It is a low wall though, so want to avoid any protruding fixings.

Thanks again

If they attach their own then there must be something to secure to. Long term I'd go for thick cable ties snipped to look smarter.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android