Volunteering at the RSPCA - My Negative Experience

I use to volunteer for one of the RSPCA charity shops (6 months approx. in total). The old General Manager left and was replaced about 2 months ago. I volunteer on a Friday afternoon from 1-5. From very early on this new Manager would have her friend and her friend’s daughter (15 months old) come round from about 2 until the end of the day. Although she would make sure when the Area Manager was in that her friend did not come round until after she left. The Manager would then spend her time chatting with her friend and cooing over her daughter. Often we volunteers would also have to look after her when they were busy (I say busy - nothing work related). When we were looking after her we were not helping the charity. Even when we weren’t she was in the back of the shop where we sort goods, steam clothes, etc. Anything we did we had to keep an eye on a small child whilst trying to get round a very cramped back room – not the safest environment.

Even when her friend was not there she still sat chatting all afternoon, she was pretty much glued to her chair.

I raised my concerns with the Deputy Manager who said she would pass my complaint on and that the Area Manager would deal with it confidence. It was not easy to speak to the Area Manager directly as when she was present so was the General Manager. The matter was not passed on in confidence, the General Manager called me to say why would I say these things? I tried to explain she then talked over me and told me not to come back.

People like me work hard and effectively we pay the staff's wages along with the people who donate goods to the shop.

The RSPCA are happy to pay a Manager to provide a crèche service and have a laugh with her mate. I’m saying this not to put off donating to the charity, But more to advise you that you may be better off donating stuff the animals need straight to the centre.

I dont think a public forum is the best place to air your grievances Love2print. If you have experienced of a lack of confidentiality perhaps you should refer your complaints & concerns to the RSPCA General Manager (Stella White) instead of saying it on here.

Edited by spats

The issue is not the lack of confidentiality, which after reading my post I am sure you can tell.

Why anybody would want to give money or donate to the RSPCA is beyond me. Having had numerous bad experiences with the RSPCA in rescue work, the numerous scandals and reports, the general feeling that its just a business run so it can pay ridiculous amounts to people at the top, and the fact that they euthanize many, many healthy animals each year - usually staffies - my advice would be to help out a local charity that actually wants to help the animals and hasn't lost sight of the reason they exist in the first place, as they're the ones that need all the help they can get and pick up after the RSPCA when they shirk all responsibility. So the fact that they (or the public) are paying people like this manager to sit around all day and do **** all doesn't surprise me - that's the RSPCA's working ethic through and through.

Love2print, I run a dog rescue along with 2 other members and my main responsibility is fundraising. I personally need all the help I can get so if you are interested, please PM me. We take dogs from the pound that are due to be euthanized and we operate around Yorkshire.

Why anybody would want to give money or donate to the RSPCA is beyond me. Having had numerous bad experiences with the RSPCA in rescue work, the numerous scandals and reports, the general feeling that its just a business run so it can pay ridiculous amounts to people at the top, and the fact that they euthanize many, many healthy animals each year - usually staffies - my advice would be to help out a local charity that actually wants to help the animals and hasn't lost sight of the reason they exist in the first place, as they're the ones that need all the help they can get and pick up after the RSPCA when they shirk all responsibility. So the fact that they (or the public) are paying people like this manager to sit around all day and do **** all doesn't surprise me - that's the RSPCA's working ethic through and through.

Yep, completely agree. There was someone my mum knows who left there entire house and estate to the RSPCA after she died, in exchange her dog would be looked after for the entirety of its life. The RSPCA did that ridiculous plastic hand safety test and found the dog to be "dangerous" and so they had it put down. And this story is by no means a one off when it comes to receiving inheritances.

A few years ago we found some horses wandering the road, we took them in and placed them in our garden. We then phoned the RSPCA who claimed that we had accepted responsibility for the horses now and they couldn't (more like wouldnt) do anything unless the animals were injured. However they said that there was a possibility that if they were at all injured we could be responsible for the vets fees and maybe prosecution as they were now our animals.

My plan is to do some more charity work but at the moment I have been left reeling. The phone call with the manager was not pleasant and I still can't understand why they shot the messenger. I was just trying to do the right thing and follow my conscience.

Don't get me wrong I don't think all charities are like this – well I hope not anyway.

I'm pregnant at the moment too so I'm thinking I might wait until after the baby is born before finding somewhere else to volunteer. But thanks peewee84 I will bare your rescue in mind.

I was also working towards a Retail Diploma, not much I know but it was something on my CV. I really should ring the assessor but I can't face it right now so I have emailed the college to tell them what's happened. I know I shouldn't be too upset but it is hard after the way I was spoken to.

Yep, completely agree. There was someone my mum knows who left there entire house and estate to the RSPCA after she died, in exchange her dog would be looked after for the entirety of its life. The RSPCA did that ridiculous plastic hand safety test and found the dog to be "dangerous" and so they had it put down. And this story is by no means a one off when it comes to receiving inheritances.

A few years ago we found some horses wandering the road, we took them in and placed them in our garden. We then phoned the RSPCA who claimed that we had accepted responsibility for the horses now and they couldn't (more like wouldnt) do anything unless the animals were injured. However they said that there was a possibility that if they were at all injured we could be responsible for the vets fees and maybe prosecution as they were now our animals.

That's shocking - but not surprising. People will defend the RSPCA by saying "Its a charity too and only has limited resources". Yes, but it also happens to be one of the largest, richest and most well-known animal charities (I use that term loosely) in the UK, with more money and resources than all the small local rescues put together. Not only this, but it is supported by Government and law enforcement, who refuse to work with any other animal charity. So given that they have been blessed with these privileges, they have a MORAL responsibility to do what the public give them money to do. We have been involved in a few cases where we have offered rescue spaces to dogs suffering neglect if the police would help us to get the dogs out, as the RSPCA didn't want to know. We told them we had somewhere for them to go and all vet bills would be covered if only they would help us get them out lawfully. The police refused saying they would only act on the authority of the RSPCA - yet the RSPCA said they are "only a charity" and do not have a legal responsibility to get involved. So the little people in the middle, who are the ones trying to stop these animals from suffering anymore, are just being passed from pillar to post whilst the authorities and RSPCA fight over who holds responsibility. I hold so much contempt for them and the authorities - I have to turn the TV over when I see their TV advert, to think of how many good-hearted people will be taken in by their lies and marketing machine :rant:

have to totally agree with this post,i to have had a couple of bad experiences with the rspca, i now donate my money to other local dog rescues.

Sheffield Cat Shelter are recruiting for shop staff but the closing date is tomorrow. Forms are available online.

Can I just remind everyone that the Sheffield Branch of the RSPCA is a self funding group & has very little say in what goes on within the National RSPCA. So before the thread descends into all out RSPCA bashing, please have a read of the information given in the following link....

http://rspcasheffield.homeip.net/cgi-bin/makecmspage.py?pageid=16

The op has clearly had some personal issues with Staff at the charity shop which she worked. These are internal disagreements & should be dealt with as such, internally.