Another rubbish OSX rip off

People think they want it - but everyone I know who's started with an OSX or Windows-alike, soon ditches it in favour of the UI that best suits them, rather than the one size fits all thinking from Seattle and Cupertino.

And that Cairo dock is a dog !

It's about DRM really! People may want Windows or MacOSX 'skin' but without the hindrances those OS's bring with them - http://stallman.org

No wonder the dot.com collapsed the first time round. Yet it is being pushed again the second time round. It is now classed as "digital" it seems.

DRM ? China said "what is DRM?" :hihi:

If I remember, in 1998, Linux was heavily used in Chinese governmental departments, and children could code per x number of lines per day and they were writing their own programs and not subjected to Microsoft's licensing plot.

That depends on which distribution transitionals move to! :D

Some people prefer free software because it's not just about it being free, it's abut freedom! :D

https://www.gnu.org/fry/

It's about DRM really! People may want Windows or MacOSX 'skin' but without the hindrances those OS's bring with them - http://stallman.org

About freedom? not really sure how that applies. But whatever gets you up in the morning I suppose.

Hindrances? what like having to type sudo commands just to mount a network share, and then having it not auto mount on the next bootup?

Or do you mean hindrances like being able to do all of your tasks with a simple mouse click?

Distros like ubuntu are trying I'll give them that, but linux is still FAR from being user friendly. When you consider how easy new OSs like android are so easy to get on with, linux is still stuck in the 90's.

About freedom? not really sure how that applies. But whatever gets you up in the morning I suppose.

Hindrances? what like having to type sudo commands just to mount a network share, and then having it not auto mount on the next bootup?

Or do you mean hindrances like being able to do all of your tasks with a simple mouse click?

Distros like ubuntu are trying I'll give them that, but linux is still FAR from being user friendly. When you consider how easy new OSs like android are so easy to get on with, linux is still stuck in the 90's.

Well let's just agree to disagree! :D If GNU/Linux is stuck in the 90's that is possibly down to patents on drivers and other hardware issues - so is that GNU/Linux fault or the failure of Hardware vendors and other proprietary OS's tying hardware vendors to their systems! ;)

Ubuntu no longer acknowldeges GNU/Linux on which it is built - it had the arrogance a few releases back to list itself as Ubuntu with GNU/Linux -should be the other way around - it is getting too much like Apple for my liking!

---------- Post added 11-02-2014 at 12:46 ----------

People think they want it - but everyone I know who's started with an OSX or Windows-alike, soon ditches it in favour of the UI that best suits them, rather than the one size fits all thinking from Seattle and Cupertino.

And that Cairo dock is a dog !

I think the issue with Cairo-dock can be an issue with distros based on 13.10 upwards but also can depend on what theme is being used. At the moment I prefer this one:

http://gnome-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=163358&file1=163358-1.jpg&file2=&file3=&name=Night+Scene

Edited by swarfendor43

This Linux v other operating systems debate doesn't really have any point to it. If you like Linux - fine, but having used it and Windows, IMHO it is no better or worse than the latter. It's about what suits you and that is all. The 'free' argument is irrelevant because most laptops come with an operating system pre installed anyway. Most people can't be doing with the 6 monthly upgrades - even LTS only lasts 2/3 years. For many of us non-geeks who just want to switch on our computers and go, Windows is fine - you only have to look at the numbers of people who are still running XP and are loathe to give it up. I have had W7 since it was first released and it has not given me a moments bother. Whichever you choose, learn to look after it properly and just enjoy using it.

Edited by ccit

This Linux v other operating systems debate doesn't really have any point to it. If you like Linux - fine, but having used it and Windows, IMHO it is no better or worse than the latter. It's about what suits you and that is all. The 'free' argument is irrelevant because most laptops come with an operating system pre installed anyway. Most people can't be doing with the 6 monthly upgrades - even LTS only lasts 2/3 years. For many of us non-geeks who just want to switch on our computers and go, Windows is fine - you only have to look at the numbers of people who are still running XP and are loathe to give it up. I have had W7 since it was first released and it has not given me a moments bother. Whichever you choose, learn to look after it properly and just enjoy using it.

And that is why people like yourself bumped up the hardware and desktop economy and thinks that it is "value for money" and then companies chase you to continue to pay up for "upgrades" when really, you actually do not use everything that is installed in a typical machine. You only possibly use something like 30%. That is why the extras on a machine is typically for other people, and not for you necessarily but are you not carrying the weight of other users too?

Marketing is indeed pretty clever and smart.

People who often has no idea of a particular industry and market will often say "this is worth it" (because I do not know it). It really isn't. It isn't.

I actually still have an A-level textbook whereby it showed me how to make my own spreadsheet application. :rolleyes:

Had a second thought. What I do agree though and it seems to come to light now as I am writing this. Maybe there is a core set of applications and machines which are or should be a part of a typical household. Just like a house, what is the most fundamental that one needs in this day and age now ? They want a house to look nice, bright, able to provide shelter against the weather. A PC or a laptop is also the same too. It should provide you with access to the internet. Has a word editor. Has a spreadsheet. Can edit photos. Can skype. That is all that you need really and truly. Why Apple won the share of the market was indeed they made the most basics of these functions and enhanced it and place a nice graphical interface(skin) on top. This is about packaging. A more ergonomic one which then sold across different users, cultures and so forth. This was why Human Computer Interaction (HCI) was a very big deal when I was at university back in 95. This is less of an issue now, as the main interactive design is more or less adopted as a singular type.

Edited by salsafan

Talking of Notebooks (Laptops is a misnomer!:D) - I do remember reading about an Australian consumer successfully suing Toshiba for not providing the option to purchase a notebook with no OS! ;)

but linux is still FAR from being user friendly. When you consider how easy new OSs like android are so easy to get on with, linux is still stuck in the 90's.

Android is a Linux platform! Just a different interface.

Only 5 years old, and already the world's most popular computing platform. You're right, Linux doesn't need to be difficult!

Talking of Notebooks (Laptops is a misnomer!:D) - I do remember reading about an Australian consumer successfully suing Toshiba for not providing the option to purchase a notebook with no OS! ;)

There was also a Sheffield Linux user who forced Microsoft to give him a refund after uninstalling the windows OS on a laptop from PC World. He did not accept the terms of the EULA and took a video of him wiping the drive as evidence. :)

Android is a Linux platform! Just a different interface.

Only 5 years old, and already the world's most popular computing platform. You're right, Linux doesn't need to be difficult!

It is based on it yes, but it is essentially a completely different OS based on usability, in which EVERYTHING including all settings can be changed and accessed in a couple of swipes.

Something that PC linux distros are far from.

For information, Ubuntu 12.04 (and all forks based on it) lasts for 5 years - April 2017. Distros like Trisquel just roll up to the next one, so 5.5 that was based on Ubuntu 11.10 - 12.04 for 6. I expect Trisquel 6.5 will just roll-up to the next release so not an issue. I too have Windows 7 (and 8.1) - just to keep up-to-date with what is going on out there! :D

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 12:54 ----------

It is based on it yes, but it is essentially a completely different OS based on usability, in which EVERYTHING including all settings can be changed and accessed in a couple of swipes.

Something that PC linux distros are far from.

What about the Ubuntu phone with single swipe technology? :D

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone

For information, Ubuntu 12.04 (and all forks based on it) lasts for 5 years - April 2017. Distros like Trisquel just roll up to the next one, so 5.5 that was based on Ubuntu 11.10 - 12.04 for 6. I expect Trisquel 6.5 will just roll-up to the next release so not an issue. I too have Windows 7 (and 8.1) - just to keep up-to-date with what is going on out there! :D

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 12:54 ----------

What about the Ubuntu phone with single swipe technology? :D

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone

Not herd of that, very nice! now then why can't PC linuxs have that? with every single option a couple of click away. Even auto mounting a network share is a hassle.