Did anyone know Mr Nurnable?

Good day

I am the son of a French resistant of the Ain department who fought with Mr. Gordon Nornable. During the operations of the German attack of July 44 on the region of "Haut Bugey" my father was young liaison officer and after the battle of the "Col de la Lèbe" near the small town of "Hauteville" he recovered Lieutenant Gordon Nornable who was injured (the nom de guerre of Nornable Gordon was "Bayard") and led to a family farm where he was hiding and neat. After the war Mr. "Bayard" returning every year in the region for meetings of veterans of the maquis into the 60s and it was always a visit to my parents' house where he was staying. My father always exchanged New Year greetings with him at the following address: "13 little Norton Lane Sheffield.".

Child I have very good memories of this discreet and charming man, a young lieutenant explosive instructor had disembarked from a Dakota on the night of July 6 to 7, 44 to come and help our liberation. My father was five years younger than Gordon, he died in 2011, a few days before his death he still spoke of "Bayard" and the maquis adventures. RIP

Hello Marcien.

Thank you for replying to this thread. I think it's important that people realise the enormous debt that we all owe your fathers generation. I think today's young have no idea of the horrors they went through. The bravery of the Resistance Movement and the sacrifices made by so many should never be forgotten

Not seen him for years but I had a friend called Andy Nornable who lived somewhere around Little Norton Lane when I knew him and he was keen on cricket, I think he may have been an umpire if I remember right. He would not far off 60 now. I was just wondering if he is a relation after reading this post

Hi,

Several years later I see this thread whilst research Gordon’s story for my son.  

So, Harry Nornable was my Grandfather, his wife Edith Ward my Grandmother.  They had 2 children, one my mother and Jane the QA nurse and senior matron at the Hallamshire.     Jane has no children and sadly passed away a few years ago.   They did all indeed live in Bromwhich Road, 13 and 14.  I’m not sure if Gordon lived on the same road.   Gordon was my grandfathers cousin.

Gordon moved  to his father’s home on Little Norton Lane, to care for him in his old age and remained there until he passed away.   Gordon was never married and did not have any children.  Both he and my Grandpa regularly went to the Abbey.  

Gordon was mad keen on Cricket, the whole family were!

Marcien, Gordon spoke of your father and his visits to you.  

Gordon was indeed a hero of WW2 - highly decorated and many stories told.  Especially to other military members of the family!  

Nornable is certainly an an unusual surname.  In fact Gordon traces it all the way back to 1066, when our ancestors arrived here with William the concurer.  The name was then ‘De Normanville’ , it has evolved over the years into Nornable.  

Hope that clears up a Few questions. X

On 13/02/2019 at 11:53, Akiem said:

Hi,

Several years later I see this thread whilst research Gordon’s story for my son.  

So, Harry Nornable was my Grandfather, his wife Edith Ward my Grandmother.  They had 2 children, one my mother and Jane the QA nurse and senior matron at the Hallamshire.     Jane has no children and sadly passed away a few years ago.   They did all indeed live in Bromwhich Road, 13 and 14.  I’m not sure if Gordon lived on the same road.   Gordon was my grandfathers cousin.

Gordon moved  to his father’s home on Little Norton Lane, to care for him in his old age and remained there until he passed away.   Gordon was never married and did not have any children.  Both he and my Grandpa regularly went to the Abbey.  

Gordon was mad keen on Cricket, the whole family were!

Marcien, Gordon spoke of your father and his visits to you.  

Gordon was indeed a hero of WW2 - highly decorated and many stories told.  Especially to other military members of the family!  

Nornable is certainly an an unusual surname.  In fact Gordon traces it all the way back to 1066, when our ancestors arrived here with William the concurer.  The name was then ‘De Normanville’ , it has evolved over the years into Nornable.  

Hope that clears up a Few questions. X

Thanks, Akiem, RIP to a lovely gent. A pleasure to have met him.

Hi,

Late to this topic but couldnt help reading the thread. 

We have just bought the house that Gordon Nornable lived in and we were told of his story but didnt have his name until today

Done some research and found quite a lot of information so thanks for filling in some gaps.

I have built an office in the garden and I plan to hang a photo of Gordon etc on the wall. Only fitting to a real hero.

regards

Hello, have only just seen this thread about the Nornable family.  Gordon was a cousin of my mother whose parents were Walter and Elizabeth Nornable who lived at 30 Mitchell Rd Woodseats.  They had 3 chilidren  Robert Henry who married Edith Ward, my mother Edna, and a third daughter Marjorie.  Uncle Harry, as I knew him and Auntie Edie lived round the corner at 13 Bromwich Rd.  They had two daughters; Mary and Jane, who was the nurse mentioned earlier.  Jane later lived further down Bromwich Rd.  Hope this fills a few gaps.

I have no connection to this family what's so ever but find this thread really interesting.

It reminds me of how brave our family were from this generation and this thread is the reason I stay on this dwindling forum.

Thanks for a good and interesting read.

• Like 2

On 14/09/2022 at 07:52, Cody's Granddad said:

I have no connection to this family what's so ever but find this thread really interesting.

It reminds me of how brave our family were from this generation and this thread is the reason I stay on this dwindling forum.

Thanks for a good and interesting read.

Hi . I’ve contributed to this thread in the past as I knew the family but I’d no idea of any of their history.

I joined SF eleven years ago and it used to be one of the first forums I logged into each day.

Now it’s an occasional thing and the only section I contribute to is History and Expats.

I never go on discussions sections cos you really see the awful side of peoples keyboard personna, which is often totally unlike who they are in the flesh.

The total intolerance of other peoples views has grown over the years.  The smart put down or mockery of others opinions has become endemic on all social media.

I think you’ll find that in this section there’s very little of that because the contributors are mostly of an age were they were taught respect and decency and acceptance of others opinions.

I’ve been fortunate to reconnect with friends and even family I’d totally lost contact with through this forum over the last 11 years, so I’d just say, though I agree with you about ‘ a dwindling forum ,’ just hang in this section just a bit longer as you never know who’s reading any of this for the first time