Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Layer Cake.

I enjoyed it. It's very watchable. But it's not in any way original. Good soundtrack though. Michael Gambon seems to enjoy himself as the don.

But why is it that all English gangster films have to be chirpy and witty and tongue in cheek and not all too serious? Is being a good ol' sarf London blagger all such a larf? Why cant we make a film like The Departed? If there is a better film than that, I haven't seen it. Maybe someone can recommend something?

Speaking of The Departed, is Black Mass any good?

The Martian. Good enough, Matt Damon was good, as were the rest of the cast by and large. I don't understand where all Oscar hubbub came from though - it wasn't THAT good any any department. 7.5/10

Layer Cake.

I enjoyed it. It's very watchable. But it's not in any way original. Good soundtrack though. Michael Gambon seems to enjoy himself as the don.

But why is it that all English gangster films have to be chirpy and witty and tongue in cheek and not all too serious? Is being a good ol' sarf London blagger all such a larf? Why cant we make a film like The Departed? If there is a better film than that, I haven't seen it. Maybe someone can recommend something?

Speaking of The Departed, is Black Mass any good?

The doc Whitey is very good, which is about the central character of Black Mass, Whitey Bulger.

The doc Whitey is very good, which is about the central character of Black Mass, Whitey Bulger.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I think I'll buy the Black Mass book when I have my next Amazon splurge.

The Frank Costello character in The Departed was based on Bulger. But the film itself is a remake of the Hong Kong film Internal Affairs which I've heard is even better than The Departed.

I don't watch much foreign language cinema tbh. The French film The Prophet is superb though!

Edited by Santo

Thanks, I'll check it out. I think I'll buy the Black Mass book when I have my next Amazon splurge.

The Frank Costello character in The Departed was based on Bulger. But the film itself is a remake of the Hong Kong film Internal Affairs which I've heard is even better than The Departed.

I don't watch much foreign language cinema tbh. The French film The Prophet is superb though!

Best foreign language film I ever saw was " The Motor Cycle Diaries", produced by Robert Redford detailing a young Che Guevarra's trip fom his hometown of Buenos Aires to Venezuela with a buddy in early 50's on a 1935 Norton. The appalling conditions that poor people were living in steered him from becoming a doctor to becoming the iconic revolutionary that planned the Cuban revolution. Amazing movie, and the subtitles don't spoil a thing.:thumbsup:

Best foreign language film I ever saw was " The Motor Cycle Diaries", produced by Robert Redford detailing a young Che Guevarra's trip fom his hometown of Buenos Aires to Venezuela with a buddy in early 50's on a 1935 Norton. The appalling conditions that poor people were living in steered him from becoming a doctor to becoming the iconic revolutionary that planned the Cuban revolution. Amazing movie, and the subtitles don't spoil a thing.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip TT. I've heard of it but didn't realise it wasn't in English. A man that writes '1935 Norton' instead of 'motorbike' likes bikes, am I right? The Café Racer model is badass!

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/

Check out A Prophet. It's about an Algerian lad getting sent to prison and getting in with the Corsican mafia. I wrote The Prophet before, it's A Prophet :)

Thanks for the tip TT. I've heard of it but didn't realise it wasn't in English. A man that writes '1935 Norton' instead of 'motorbike' likes bikes, am I right? The Café Racer model is badass!

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/

Check out A Prophet. It's about an Algerian lad getting sent to prison and getting in with the Corsican mafia. I wrote The Prophet before, it's A Prophet :)

I will check that out ( A Prophet). If you like motorbikes you must have seen The World's Fastest Indian, starring Anthony Hopkins. Absolutely fantastic and a terrific true story. That record set in 1967 on a 1920 Indian (tweaked a little. lol) set by New Zealander Burt Munro still stands today. TT eh? LOL

Edited by TORONTONY

The Revenant 4/10 - Bitterly disappointed in the storyline and how drawn out it was..

However saying that, i think LDC and TH gave the best acting performance i've seen so far..

Mrs L00b is away on hols, so I went on a small binge in the past week and a half :blush:

The Shallows

Surfer chick gets heavily stalked by a great white. Decent acting and good photography, good effects to say the shark is CGI (better than Deep Blue Sea and Shark Night). Short movie (...but not short enough, could shave another 15 mins off I think). Worth a 7 methinks.

The Purge Election year

It's 'just another' Purge movie, with an entirely predictable plot twist. Somewhat hammy acting, but good action. Popcorn stuff, not in so many words. Worth a 5 (there's worse to watch for passing time), plus 0.5 for effort and production values (it is better than the earlier ones).

X-Men Apocalypse

McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence do their superhuman stuff again, this time in the 80s. The premise is thin, as artificial a plot twist to justify a new movie as they come. In terms of character development, nothing that has not been seen or done in the earlier films (fassbender wronged, sould-tortured, sides with the baddies, ends up siding with the goodies, on a human v mutants background). Good effects, though these superhero movies now tend to all look the same, destroying cities and landmarks seems to have become the new obligatory norm. Worth a 6 for the entertainment factor introduced by Magneto's "new" son (the shot where he saves the bulldog, pizza in mouth, from the mansion had me in stitches - it's only a couple of seconds, but visual comedic genius!), and as I can't decently award less to it than a Purge movie :D

Star Trek:Beyond

More trekkie greatness from the Pine, Quinto and Urban trio, and Pegg proves slightly better than tolerable, which is bonus. Better and less complicated story than Into Darkness, plenty of action and eye candy. 8 all day long. More, more.

Jason Bourne

A fitting end (?) to the series, building on the previous instalments (minus the Renner episode), but on a thin and perceivably-artificial premise, though. Damon does at least as good as the previous ones, and I didn't perceive any jarring loss of rhythm throughout the film. The car chase is a bit OTT relative to the earlier and more realistic examples in Paris and Russia, which is a shame. 6.5, better than "mere popcorn muncher" and X-Men Apocalypse, but not by much.

Also nipped into an IMAX while on hols in US, and caught Suicide Squad. Not worth the hype IMHO. Worth the watch for Harley Quinn and to see that Will Smith still does the tortured soul bit just fine, I suppose. But no higher than a 6 from me. It left me pretty 'meh' overall.

EDIT

Check out A Prophet. It's about an Algerian lad getting sent to prison and getting in with the Corsican mafia.
then falling in with the imams.

Given the date of movie...prophetic indeed ;)

Edited by L00b

Hype about Suicide Squad? It's been absolutely slated in reviews and by critics. I was surprised as my expectations were set very low. It's not brilliant, not as good as a Marvel film, but good enough.

Watchmen. Soooo disappointing. I don't know the technical reasons why, but the picture and sound quality was reminiscent of US straight-to-tv daytime drama, only in the first scene did I feel drawn in, the rest of the time I felt like I was on set watching the actors. Rorschach was good and I found myself better disposed to him than in the original book, but the rest were pretty wooden, the guy who played Viedt may as well have phoned his lines in. 4/10

---------- Post added 25-08-2016 at 22:35 ----------

The Martian. Good enough, Matt Damon was good, as were the rest of the cast by and large. I don't understand where all Oscar hubbub came from though - it wasn't THAT good any any department. 7.5/10

I agree. It was ok, no more.