Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

11 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

You are considerably more generous to this film than I am. I wouldn't give it more than a 3/10 and most of that is for the VFX guys making the CGI ape a better actor than 90% of the cast.

😂😂😂

With disney+ you get Starz free. Lots of older tv and films, some pretty good, some not. Deep rising, despite it having a prime Famke Jankssen, is not good. It's really quite bad.

Afgter seeing a few clips via on line links,I watched Panfilovs 28 men,a soviet propaganda film that told the tail of the eastern front and the halting of the nazi war machine outside moscow.

Brilliant watch despite the subtitles.

On 07/04/2021 at 23:20, The_DADDY said:

A friend recommended Bullet to the head by Sly Stallone.

Lets just say we aren't friends anymore and the name of the film is also the urge you get when watching it. 

I'd struggle to even give it a 1/10.

Avoid.

Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 films that Sly Stallone made that I enjoyed: First Blood and the thriller Nighthawks

22 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 films that Sly Stallone made that I enjoyed: First Blood and the thriller Nighthawks

I've never seen Nighthawks but First Blood is one of my favourites. 

It never gets dull and its by far Slys best performance. 

Love it👏👏👏

The Mauritanian

on Amazon Prime Video

Story: A real life story about a civil rights lawyer campaigning on behalf of a prisoner of Guantanamo Bay who is held without charges. The man is from Mauritania, hence the title. 

Rating: 9/10

Why you should watch it: We've all heard of Guantanamo Bay, it still exists to this day, detaining 40 'prisoners' without charges. It was due to close but Obama signed an order to continue it, as did Trump. The horrendous treatment of the prisoners is something we've heard about, but this film really brings it home. To me it is a must watch, emotional, strong and very confident delivery. It has Jodie Foster and Benedict Cumberbatch if you are drawn to 'star power'.

Night in Paradise - 8.5/10

Korean film on Netflix

In an act of vengeance the lieutenant of a crime gang agrees to kill his leader's rival during a war between gangs. Having done the deed he is told to hide out on Jeju Island, a tourist destination, before arrangements are made for him to disappear into Russia to escape reprisal. Broken and damaged by events, he meets a woman with a spiky personality who has her own demons.

Entertaining, brutal in parts but I think the quieter moments with just the man and the woman talking together were my favourite parts of the film.

The Mauritanian, based on a true story of a young man kept in US custody for 14 years without charge, mostly in Guantanamo.

9 out of 10 from me, was on Prime I think.

A shameful and ongoing episode in US history.

Lot of time for this flick. Watched it this morning on Sky. At first it comes across as a bit transparent. It isn't. Twists I saw coming and twists I didn't. Carey Mulligan's low-key Fatal Attraction moves are believable. Nice little short roles for Alfred Molina and Connie Britton.

As a mate offered "...the reviews warned you not to blink..". Quite clever for him, that.  

Recommended. 8/10. Loses marks for including Paris Hilton on the soundtrack 🙂.

image.png

Agree on the marks for Promising Young Woman- very thought provoking. It has some lines that really hit home, just like Time to Kill.

Slap Shot - 9/10

Paul Newman sports comedy about the aging player coach of a failing ice hockey team that's about to go out of business. To encourage more enthusiasm from both his players and the local fans he starts to encourage his teammates to embrace the violent side of the game.

Been a fair few years since I last saw this but it had me howling with laughter just like the last time I saw it. The Hanson brothers are just comedy gold.

On 20/04/2021 at 18:06, willman said:

Agree on the marks for Promising Young Woman- very thought provoking. It has some lines that really hit home, just like Time to Kill.

Let's hope the Oscar committee see what we saw.