Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Nan (2022) 

Can't say I've ever been a fan of the Catherine Tate character 'Nan' so straight away it was going to have to be good to change my mind.

The film didn't,

usual one liners, silly situations (ok its a comedy) and downright unfunny-ness throughout.

Watchable and a good twist at the end only just saves it.

6/10 tops.

20 hours ago, Anna B said:

'Official Secrets' with Keira Knightly and Ralph Fiennes.  8/10

True story about the GCHQ whistle blower who tried to stop the Iraq war by arguably proving the government was lying to the people.

I thought it would also cover the death of weapons inspector Dr David Kelly who said the dossier claiming Sadam had weapons of mass destruction was 'sexed up.' Unfortunately it stopped short of this, and ended with the trial of the whistle blower. 

Very interesting and important film, documenting a scandalous time that still resonates today. 

I enjoyed this, disgraceful from the Government of the time.

15 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

Operation Mincemeat 8/10

A modern re-make of ‘The Man Who Never Was’ from the 1950’s.

Knowing the storyline fairly well, I was held by the new version and was able to pick my way through the increased artistic licence.

A good film.

Its a very well made film, captures the era brilliantly, Matthew Mafadyen was great in it.

The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)

I'm having a Coen brothers binge fest and working my way though their catalogue.

I thought this was a superb film, worthy of Hitchcock.  8/10

The Northman 6/10

Found it slow and ponderous, lacking in continuity, sporadically burst into life, only to lapse almost as quickly, really lacked in its musical score to build any kind of atmosphere, found it tedious at times

Uncharted (2022)

A video-game movie (what ever that is?).

Try not to spoil it, but. while the thing is well acted (?) well filmed.and fast moving enough.

The similarities between so many films including Dan Brown's da Vinci code, Raiders of the lost ark, Time bandits, the Goonies and so many  action movies can be allowed for,  the ending just turns into the ridiculous.

Not for me, but I'll be generous 8/10.

Spider Forest (2004)

Enigmatic South Korean mystery thriller. As I'm a huge fan of films like Lost Highway and Don't Look Now, I loved it.

9/10

Recently Voted Best British Film of the 21st Century. 

Under the Skin (2013).

Shape shifting Alien (in the shape of a very shapely Scarlet Johansson) drives around Glasgow preying on unsuspecting men.

Starts off well (Her first victims a C**tic supporter 🤣 🤣) after that its an hour and forty eight minutes you will never get back.

Arty-Farty, Skip straight to the last 10 minutes rubbish.

Best Film of the 21st Century - Come On !

Box office failure in 2014, but the hopes are, the award will give the film a new lease of life :rolleyes:. 

Bring a defibrillator 🤣

Being Scottish I don't usually do sympathy but I'd hate to think I'd paid to watched this at a cinema 🤣 🤣.

Keep safe 8)

2/10 (purely for the ending)

The Utah Cabin Murders . Shocking acting , bad plot . Like watching an afternoon TV film   .1/10 and thats cos I will never see it again .  God there sure is a load of rubbish on Netflix 

'The Imitation Game' with Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightly.  9/10

True story of Alan Turing and his struggle to crack the Enigma Code during the second world war. His contribution went unrecognised for more than 50 years, even though it saved thousands if not millions of lives. Glad the truth is out there at last, and his story has been told. 

The portrayal of Autism (Aspergers?) is very well done, and the end is heartbreaking. 

39 minutes ago, Anna B said:

'The Imitation Game' with Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightly.  9/10

True story of Alan Turing and his struggle to crack the Enigma Code during the second world war. His contribution went unrecognised for more than 50 years, even though it saved thousands if not millions of lives. Glad the truth is out there at last, and his story has been told. 

The portrayal of Autism (Aspergers?) is very well done, and the end is heartbreaking. 

Its a great film, Bletchley Park is well worth a visit if you found this interesting.

Against the Sun

It’s based on a true survival story during the Second World War. Three navy airmen crash land their plane on the Pacific Ocean when they run out of fuel.  

It was better than I thought it would be 

8/10

33vlgtY.jpg

If you're a fan, it's wonderful stuff.

I'd offer it's probably an 8 out of 10. Loses a couple of marks for trying to tie up all the loose ends in a bow and direct steals from 'Singin' In The Rain'.