Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Tolkien - 8/10

I know it's not a completely accurate biopic about the early life of J.R.R. Tolkien and some liberties were taken but I really enjoyed this story about love, friendship and war and the influences they had on his later writing. Nicholas Hoult is great in it.

Studio 666     7/10

Its gory, cheesy, loud and contains the Foo Fighters. What’s not to love? 

In light of recent events it’s really sad too.

RIP Taylor Hawkins ❤️

The Bubble - 5.5/10

A 'meta' comedy about a group of actors trapped together in a hotel at the start of the Covid pandemic where they'll film the 6th film in a terrible but wildly successful dinosaur action franchise for a film studio that doesn't care about anything but finishing the movie.

A bit too navel-gazing and Hollywood in-jokey for its own good but there were some decent laughs. I doubt I'll ever want to watch it again though.

Moonfall 2022.

PG13.

No spoilers from me.

Science Fiction Disaster movie.

Ignore any negative comments - enjoy the film for what it is.

Ok, most of the plots have been done before - But the twist of the ending is well worth waiting for.

Well we thought so :rolleyes: .

8.5 /10

Fully enjoyed - worth watching. 

All The Old Knives (Amazon) - 5/10

A spy 'thriller' that is quite sedentary for a thriller. Two CIA agents (and former lovers) meet to review a terrorist event that happened 8 years earlier.

Well made and acted but the story itself is extremely predictable.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

Sons of Katie Elder . Cracking film with a  rousing title theme 7/10 

The Alpinist 9/10, documentary about free solo climber Marc-André Leclerc, hard to watch at times but a fascinating human story.

I'd also recommend The Last Mountain, another documentary about a young climber, and also 14 Peaks.

Edited by Bargepole23

Something on Amazon calle Infinite and has Mark Wahlberk in it... 3/10

Plenty of action, no substance and worth a miss, or watch it for a laugh.

The Northman - 9/10

Dark, beautiful, extremely violent and gory in parts (how this got a 15 rating I'll never understand) and yet even for that it's an art house film at heart. Based on the legend of Amleth, which was also the inspiration for Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Spiritwalker (Korean) - 7/10

One part Bourne Identify, one part Memento (ish), one part John Wick. Man wakes up after a car crash, a bullet in his shoulder and no memory. He looks in a mirror and his reflection is someone else. Suddenly he's in another body, in a another place, and he has no idea what is happening but has to try and figure it out.

'Official Secrets' with Keira Knightly and Ralph Fiennes.  8/10

True story about the GCHQ whistle blower who tried to stop the Iraq war by arguably proving the government was lying to the people.

I thought it would also cover the death of weapons inspector Dr David Kelly who said the dossier claiming Sadam had weapons of mass destruction was 'sexed up.' Unfortunately it stopped short of this, and ended with the trial of the whistle blower. 

Very interesting and important film, documenting a scandalous time that still resonates today. 

Edited by Anna B

Operation Mincemeat 8/10

A modern re-make of ‘The Man Who Never Was’ from the 1950’s.

Knowing the storyline fairly well, I was held by the new version and was able to pick my way through the increased artistic licence.

A good film.