Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

The Last Duel - 8/10

While I'm generally not a big fan of Rashomon-style 'multiple subjective viewpoints of the same story' movies, this medieval France story of a woman trying to get justice  and the high-stakes fight to the death that results between her husband and the accused was well done (apart from Ben Affleck's blonde hair and Matt Damon's ridiculous beard).

Don't Look Up - 7/10

Surprising funny satire that takes aim at US politics, media, social media, obsession with celebrity trivia, politicisation of science and of all aspects of our lives, in the face of something that shouldn't be political (in the case of the film it's a extinction-level comet headed for Earth but really it's Covid) and weird tech billionaires. It's so on the nose about just how stupid we've all become it's almost depressing.

9 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Captured in a moment of weakness (just after eating yesterdays leftovers) and unable to move.

HTSBO or HerThatShouldKnowBetter forced me to watch 'Clifford the big red dog'.

I was doing fine up to the long necked hyena ✔️but lost interest after the chicken fainted :huh:.

As if the film wasn't bad enough, the political rant near the end  was just too groan worthy for words :suspect: 🥴 :suspect:.  2/10.

I was warned :bigsmile:.

Keep safe out there 8) .

Mate, I feel your pain.

Later this morning going to see Spider-Man for the 3rd time. Getting my cinema visits in before the inevitable lockdown.  

EgCOECj.jpg

Being the Ricardos  (2021)

Straight from the start, the film didn't have much of a chance.

"I can't be doing with Nicol Kidman!"

Not quite sure what we expected from this film, but it failed in so many ways.

A behind the scenes look at Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez business and personal life, quickly disintegrates into ''was Lucille a Communist, and 'look how Lucille Ball suffered because of Desi Arnez's womanising'.

The only part I did enjoyed was, a brief nod to Lucille's ability to see how a comic situation could be enhanced for filming.

Described as a 'Biographical drama film' .

A simple look on Wikipedia would give a better insight into Lucille Ball's life and save you watching 2hrs of dross.

Cate Blanchett was originally cast for the part of Lucille but dropped out before production began.

Would Cate have made any difference? I doubt it very much, the film is simply poor.

So there we go, yet another 2021 film to avoid. 2/10 tops :mad:.

Would have been 0/10 if it hadn't been for the actor with the 'lived in face' J.K. Simmons being in it :hihi:.

Keep safe out there 8).

Spider man no way home. The best movie we have seen in many years.

Even if you're not a particular Spiderman fan this movie is so multidimensional it offers something for almost everyone and brings new life to the film industry.

We Need to do Something.   7/10

Psychological horror about a family trapped in a bathroom following a tornado.

This was so close to being great, I was so close to loving it.

It had so much potential but just fell a bit short.

There was also a bit of the storyline that felt pointless to me, added a dimension to the story that I felt wasn’t needed.

I did enjoy it tho, and they did a good job to say it only stars a handful of actors.

Edited by nikki-red

Lamb   8/10

I also watched this. It’s soooo strange/ borderline ridiculous I suppose, but I was enthralled.

A couple of Icelandic farmers find a strange creature in their barn.
It’s bleak and sad, but beautiful and (I believe) metaphorical.
When it finished I was like ‘WTF’ and just sat and stared at the blank screen 😂

Unhinged - 6/10

Workmanlike action thriller about a woman being terrorised by Russell Crowe after a road rage incident. One part Duel, one part Falling Down.

'The King's Man'.      7-10

An excellent prequel, spoiled only by a few things.

What I liked; the sheer expanse of some of the shots and the genuine clenching of palms I felt on some of the 'heights' scenes. I don't do heights and they were incredibly realistic, therefore adding to the enjoyment. Also, the makeup Rhys Ifans wore to portray Rasputin was sheer gold standard. 

The docked points; predictability. Spotted the villain early on and his death scene came galloping over the horizon. Bit of a no-brainer.

Plus: Alison Steadman, Stanley Tucci and Valerie Pachner (Mata Hari) were dreadfully underused.

Will go see it again.

FrkxC3G.jpg

10 hours ago, Sammy00 said:

Watched 'Parasite' recently, and although I haven't actually seen any of the films it beat out for best picture I think it's probably deserved. I've loved all of Bong Joon-Ho's prior films for their uniqueness and absurdism and this was no exception. The best I've heard it described is as a more perfect version of Snowpiercer. Highly recommended. 9|10

I had no idea what to expect from it but really enjoyed it.

Brighton (2019 -21)

HTSBO chose this one and it started off well.

Set in the 1950's, two young Teddy Boys, up from London for a weekend of chasing skirt.

The main protagonist is even wearing a near copy of my first (Black with Maroon velvet) 'Drape jacket'.

All good so far, the filming captures the era well and both boys pull, but that's as far as that story goes.

Flash forward many years later and all four are back to rekindle their youth (still dressed in Ted gear, flared skirts and leopard skin fur coats) and as the film progress's even driving a PA Cresta. 

Time hasn't been too kind to our main protagonist's wife, weight and swollen ankle's and an addiction to food, stealth-fully explained away by her long term friend  (Lesley Sharp) as being hereditary "her mother had the same, its a  problem with water retention".

It's at this point the whole film deteriorates into cringeworthy racist, homophobic, beer drinking, chain smoking, foulmouthed, and even older people characterisation nonsense. 

One review stating most of the filming takes place, in what could be a Beryl Cook painting, hit's the nail on the head for me, although why some of the filming is done on a 'slant' puzzled both of us.

There is a story in there, but for a new film to harken back to Alf Garnett, Love thy neighbour openly racist hogwash humour, successfully brushed under the carpet for so long, simply doesn't work any more, why any of the main actors, Larry Lamb, Marion Baily, Phil Davis and Lesley Sharp (Who looks pretty good in a slinky number and flared underskirt - it's ok i'm off to specks savers in a bit)  got involved with this nonsense is puzzling.

See the source image

So there you are another 2021 film to avoid               3/10 tops.

Keep safe and all the best for 2022 8).