Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

'The Argument' (new to Sky). 

Utter tosh. We've all had our fill of 'insecurity' films with Woody Allen's output. This is not needed, nor funny. 
It's that rubbish I'm not even sure if it's meant to be funny. 
If you're looking for uncomfortable claustrophobic one-room plays, 'Abigail's Party' is so much better.

3 points only (all for the believably acerbic performance from Maggie Q). The rest of the cast are forgettable. 

[IMG]  

Bridge of Spies.  

It’s a true story during the time of the Cold War.  I really liked this film, didn’t think I would as I’m not into spy films during that era.   I knew Tom Hanks was in the film who I like so thought I would give it a go.  Pleased I did.

8/10

How It Ends -  2/10

End of the world film that doesn't actually explain how the world is ending, or show how it ended, or shows if the lead characters escaped... genuinely the film cuts to credits right in the middle of them escaping!

2 hours of my life I'm not getting back.

'Tell It To The Bees'

Watched it mainly because Holliday Grainger's in it (as she's so good in 'Strike'). 

Wish I'd seen it on the Big Screen.

Set in a uncompromising backward little Scottish town in '52.
Basically a young lad develops an empathy with bees while his world collapses around him.
It's deep.
It has layers.
It has Anna Paquin.
It has an unhealthy amount of dreich.
It has jazz (man)

You'll find it on Sky Cinema.

Giving it 8 out of 10. Loses marks for the predictable (yet probably real) ending.

image.png
Edited by nikki-red

Red Dot   7/10

Swedish based film (Netflix/ subtitles).

A couple who decide to go on a hike to rekindle their marriage, end up having to run for their lives to evade someone trying to hunt them.

Edited by Guest

Red Dot and I’ll give it the same marks as Mr Fisk.  7/10

I was beginning to feel sorry for the couple who were being pursued until I knew why. 

Saint Maud.   7.5/10

It was marketed as a horror and it isn’t really. It does have its moments but it’s actually about religion and mental Illness.

Its very well acted and believable. 
Nice that it was filmed in Scarborough too, although I’m surprised they let her get away with calling it a dump tho 😂.

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Red Dot and I’ll give it the same marks as Mr Fisk.  7/10

I was beginning to feel sorry for the couple who were being pursued until I knew why. 

Me too hauxwell.

Did make me think there might be more to it,  but I couldn't put my finger on it.🤔

1 hour ago, Mr Fisk said:

Me too hauxwell.

Did make me think there might be more to it,  but I couldn't put my finger on it.🤔

No I didn’t expect it to end how it did.  It surprised me.

As a young man open to all forms of literacy, Steve Harley pointed me toward the work of authoress Virginia Woolf. I tried a couple, 'Lighthouse' and 'Orlando' and gave up on both. Too flowery for me. Found them hard work. However, was keen to see 'Vita & Virginia'.
It's not a film to rush. The soundtrack is disconcerting. Virginia's other-worldliness is convincing. Sympathetically directed and the camerawork is both atmospheric and stark in places. A well-rounded film. The Sapphic scenes are treated as a soft art-form rather than cheap titillation for the voyeuristic.
Would watch again. Quite enthralling.  8/10.  

[IMG]

A Taxi Driver. 9/10. Based on real events in Gwangju, S.Korea in 1980. Those real events were the murders of hundreds of protesters by the Army, and the filming of them by a German reporter, helped by a taxi driver.

Definitely worth watching.

Edited by Bargepole23