Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Honest Thief  5.5/10 

I only watched this as it stars Liam Neeson, so I was curious to see who had ruffled his feather in this movie.

As it has become normal for Liam Neeson movies of late, he is either rescuing someone, chasing someone, framed for a crime he didn't do or just out for some action.

Lo and behold, in this movie he is....trying to clear his name..yes..for a crime he didn't commit!

Its no 'Taken' like  quality, but you have to still admire Liam for his intensity on screen.

Decent enough to pass time and Neeson fans will enjoy.

The Witch: Part 1 - The Subversion - 8/10

Korean film about a girl who is adopted by a couple when she turns up on their farm covered in blood and with no memory after escaping from a secret government facility.

On 09/12/2020 at 23:47, Funky_Gibbon said:

The Gentlemen - 8/10

Very entertaining story about an American ex-pat who runs a highly profitable marijuana empire in the UK who decides to sell off his business and retire, which sets off a series of events as various factions scheme to steal it from him. Hugh Grant and Charlie Hunnam are particularly good in this, as is Colin Farrell.

This is an excellent film that was largely ignored by the masses at the time.  We saw it on release and the cinema was less than a third full.

I don’t think it was adequately publicised. 

Finally got the chance to watch the highly acclaimed, Moonlight, last night.  

I was completely blown away.  It was not what I was expecting at all.  I thought it was an amazing, moving film.  I haven't cried so much since I watched Artificial Intelligence.  I thought the actor playing the main character's second phase was mind-blowing.

If you get the chance, please do watch this masterpiece but have the tissues handy.  It's one of those rare films that you know will touch and change you, forever.

I give it a deserved 10, although I would have liked to see the ending played out a little further.

On 09/11/2020 at 21:59, Bargepole23 said:

A Most Violent Year...shady and not so shady dealings set in the 80s New York heating oil supply trade.

8/10 for an enjoyable watch.

The Deep....an Icelandic film about a fisherman who survives an immersion in the sea, based on a true story.

Worth a watch.

Precinct 75....a documentary film about a bent NYC policeman. 

Very good, definitely worth your time to watch.

Yes, great film.  The actor playing the main character is brilliant.  Seen him in a few things of late.  Hopefully we'll be seeing more of him.

Edited by Lex Luthor

On 16/08/2020 at 19:13, wearysmith said:

New

Last night; 'Safe House', Ryan Reynolds & Denzel Washington.
It was my 2nd attempt. Tried a little while back and found the 100mph cut/edit in the first 10 mins unbearable. Flashing about everywhere. It was done too fast and was giving me headache. Gave up on it. Tried again yesterday.
Standard spy film. Don't need to see it again. I'm being REALLY generous giving it a 2 out of 10

See the source image

Totally agree on your summing up of that.

On 28/05/2020 at 19:45, despritdan said:

The Commune on BBC iPlayer. A Danish drama set in the 70s about a middle aged couple who inherit a large house and invite their friends to come and live with them to help pay the running costs. Everything's fine until he starts an affair with a young female student and decides to move her in. His wife puts on a brave face and pretends she's fine with it,  but eventually her anger and frustration start to leak out then bubble over and she goes a bit bonkers. 7/10.

There's something very compelling that makes you keep on watching but really, it's nothing very memorable, is it? 6/10

1 hour ago, wearysmith said:

This is an excellent film that was largely ignored by the masses at the time.  We saw it on release and the cinema was less than a third full.

I don’t think it was adequately publicised. 

I'd heard about it at the time but the words 'Guy Ritchie' and 'British gangster film' sent up some massive red flags for me given how bad several of his more recent efforts had been, not to mention stuff like his King Arthur movie. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the film is. It must have had enough success though as there is apparently a TV series based on it in the works.

The Midnight Sky...8/10 George Clooney on Netflix in an sci-fi end of the world thing. More focused on the people than the action.

Scribe 7/10 French subtitled thriller

Bait 8/10 drama/slice of life in Cornish fishing village

Did anyone watch this? Well intentioned, but misses an open net.

image.png

image.png

I know it's a few years old but I've only just managed to see it fully. Meant to be a comedy. It isn't. However, it does allow Murray to work with David Johansen again. That's always going to be a treat. It features Jenny Lewis, one of America's most underrated singers in my opinion, and Miley Cyrus, who I can't deal with but has possibly the best legs in America.
Murray's voice 4/10
The cast 8/10
Film 4/10
Music choices/songs covered 8/10

Cast:

On 09/12/2020 at 23:47, Funky_Gibbon said:

The Gentlemen - 8/10

Very entertaining story about an American ex-pat who runs a highly profitable marijuana empire in the UK who decides to sell off his business and retire, which sets off a series of events as various factions scheme to steal it from him. Hugh Grant and Charlie Hunnam are particularly good in this, as is Colin Farrell.

On 13/12/2020 at 10:58, Funky_Gibbon said:

I'd heard about it at the time but the words 'Guy Ritchie' and 'British gangster film' sent up some massive red flags for me given how bad several of his more recent efforts had been, not to mention stuff like his King Arthur movie. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the film is. It must have had enough success though as there is apparently a TV series based on it in the works.

I watched The Gentlemen based on your recommendation, and I agree with your 8/10 rating.

I expected a typically bloody, gratuitously violent, 60s-era gangster flick with the inevitable cameo from Ray Winston, but I genuinely enjoyed this.

Good to see some amusing (instead of annoying) stereotypes of cockneys, the landed gentry, the gutter press and foreign gangsters for a change, and it was great to see the individual stories intertwine then gradually unravel as the film progressed.

I thought Hugh Grant playing a sleazy hack was a nice touch, given his problems with the newspapers 😁

I'm not the greatest fan of Colin Farrell (I last saw him in Miami Vice and Total Recall, and was underwhelmed by his performance in both) and as for Matthew McConaughey, he just  . . .  gives me the creeps in every role he plays, but both actors played their parts with the necessary gravitas and charisma.

Charlie Hunnam also impressed, carrying much of the movie on his own.  I've just checked Wikipedia, and it turns out I've not watched him in a movie since Pacific Rim back in 2013.

I'm looking forward to the TV series, and I hope a sequel is on the way.

The Closet 6.5/10

Korean movie fans should enjoy this, it stars the talented Ha Jung-Woo.

It's a horror/ supernatural movie so a little different from his usual type films.

Synopsis: Having lost his wife, a man moves to a big house in a new area, with his young daughter.

Troubled following his wife's death, and neglectful of his daughter- there are spirits who are more than happy to occupy the young girl.