Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Siege of Jadotville, 8/10, about Irish UN soldiers on a mission in Africa in the 60s, telling a true story.

Another true story, Red Sea Diving Resort, another worth watching, about an Israeli plan to rescue Jewish East Africans from persecution and bring them to Israel.

On 30/11/2020 at 14:51, Mr Fisk said:

That's one reason I usually end up giving up on Christopher Nolan's mindbending 'sci fi thrillers'.

I watched around 30mins of it few months ago and then had enough. Had no clue what was going on.

I'm usually a fan of his stuff and have been since Memento but Tenet really goes off the deep end. I think I could probably get my head around the story but for me it's the audio of the movie that kills it. It's just awful. I'd love to play this film to people who always complain about BBC dramas being too quiet and the actors mumbling and go "See! This is what mumbly, incomprehensible dialogue sounds like". It's the first English language movie I've seen where I wish I'd had subtitles. The overbearing music and general environmental sounds doesn't help.

It also has some really weird editing too. I can't decide whether they were a deliberate choice given the theme of the movie but it was a bit odd seeing a scene of mild peril go without warning to the same characters some time later and miles away just getting on with things with not a word on what happened to resolve the mild peril.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon
Corrected some late night Yoda grammar

10 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

I'm usually a fan of his stuff and have been since Memento but Tenet really goes off the deep end. I think I could probably get my head around the story but for me it's the audio of the movie that kills it. It's just awful. I'd love to play this film to people who always complain about BBC dramas being too quiet and the actors mumbling and go "See! This is what mumbly, incomprehensible dialogue sounds like". It's the first English language movie I've seen where I wish I'd had subtitles. The overbearing music and general environmental sounds doesn't help.

It also has some really weird editing too. I can't decide whether they were a deliberate choice given the theme of the movie but it was a bit odd seeing a scene of mild peril without warning to the same characters some time later and miles away just getting on things with not a word on what happened inbetween.

I liked Memento and though it was a bit confusing,  you kind of work out as to what's happening.

If I recall,  Nolan also made Inception ?

That was okay-ish but again, there was too much going on.

Tenet was supposed to be this years blockbuster.

With other big movies not completed or release date delayed due to coronavirus.

Glad I didn't go cinema to watch it.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.  I recorded this film because a young Clint Eastwood is in it. The film was made in the 1960s but I did enjoy it.

Whoever composed the soundtrack for the film did a brilliant job. 

8/10 for the acting but 10/10 for the music.

On 30/11/2020 at 14:51, Mr Fisk said:

That's one reason I usually end up giving up on Christopher Nolan's mindbending 'sci fi thrillers'.

I watched around 30mins of it few months ago and then had enough. Had no clue what was going on.

I was the same with 'Triangle' - the British film from about 10 years ago. 

After the film, I had to go home and Google the story line so I could understand exactly what I watched!

I don't especially like films which treat the audience like idiots and explain what's going on; but there again films which seem to baffle its audiences by incorporating weird time loops to me aren't 'clever', but just silly

5 hours ago, hauxwell said:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.  I recorded this film because a young Clint Eastwood is in it. The film was made in the 1960s but I did enjoy it.

Whoever composed the soundtrack for the film did a brilliant job. 

8/10 for the acting but 10/10 for the music.

Ennio Morricone, known amongst other things for his spaghetti western soundtracks.

18 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Ennio Morricone, known amongst other things for his spaghetti western soundtracks.

Thank you.  He’s a good composer.  

19 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Thank you.  He’s a good composer.  

Good choice of film BTW. If you havent seen A Fistful of Dollars, and For a Few Dollars More, they are definitely worth watching. Same atmospheric soundtracks too.

Got them all on VHS somewhere in a box in the loft.

'Red 2'. A worthy enough sequel. I missed Karl Urban, but it's still a great watch. More importantly, it's still funny.

As nothing could beat the first, 8/10. 

Mosul  8/10

Brilliant film which is based on true events and revolves around a small SWAT team ,who are taking down ISIS strongholds.

It's very well made and up there with the intensity of Black Hawk Down.

The Gentlemen - 8/10

Very entertaining story about an American ex-pat who runs a highly profitable marijuana empire in the UK who decides to sell off his business and retire, which sets off a series of events as various factions scheme to steal it from him. Hugh Grant and Charlie Hunnam are particularly good in this, as is Colin Farrell.

Peter Rabbit-6/10. Having never read the books, I didn't realise Peter Rabbit was so sadistic.