Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Just Mercy  9/10

Really well acted depiction of the story of the corrupt sentencing of Walter McMillian, and Bryan Stevenson, the newly graduated lawyer determined to see justice done.

Great, important film of a terrible true story, still relevant today.

Devyataya (the Ninth) 2019

Russian film, subtitles & English.

A mixture of 'the Occult', 'Mumbo jumbo' and a 'Detective story'.

Nice twist's and turns through out and set in 19th century Russian.

Very Alienist and Enola Holmes even. 

I'm a confirmed sucker for the Architecture of fine buildings,

Horse drawn Cabs and the Lady's fashion in these films.

Well worth watching and not much out of your life at 90mins long.

Probably nothing really outstanding but not that dire that it wasn't worth watching.

Good story line, good acting (including some English actors) and well filmed.

Fully recommended.  reasonable 8/10 

Enjoy. 

'The Girl In The Spider's Web'. 

Do like me some Claire Foy.

Put a pully on watching it though. Looked freezing. Couldn't have been an easy film to make in that cold.

Story: 4 out of 5

Ambience: 5 out of 5

The Girl in the Spider's Web (film) - Wikipedia

Today's lunchtime masterpiece is 'The Old Guard'. 

I've had a bit of a thing for Charlize Theron ever since her wonderful turn as Adele Invergordon in 'The Legend Of Bagger Vance'.  See her name attached, I'll watch.

But for this film, that's not all. As the villian you have Harry Melling. Mainly know for his Harry Potter role, but he's from the Troughton acting dynasty so he's a fine insight as to what treading the boards is all about.

Chiwetel Ejiofor ('Serenity', 'Doctor Strange' and 'Kinky Boots') and Anamaria Marinca ('Dr Who', 'Temple' and 'Tin Star') have roles playing Melling's people.  Both are also among my favourite actors and unfortunately are slightly underused here.

Basic premise; Immortals trying to do good are hunted by get-rich-quick scientists for experimentation. 

If it wasn't for COVID I reckon this would have been a great big-screen watch.  Sadly a limited audience has probably put the boot in for it being the first part in a franchise. 

8/10

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fm.media-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FM%2FMV5BNDJiZDliZDAtMjc5Yy00MzVhLThkY2MtNDYwNTQ2ZTM5MDcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDA4NzMyOA%40%40._V1_UY1200_CR90%2C0%2C630%2C1200_AL_.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Ftitle%2Ftt7556122%2Ffullcredits&tbnid=7qbz0OTHoSxZnM&vet=12ahUKEwibrO7Z8qTsAhXG0-AKHX3SA6EQMygAegUIARCjAQ..i&docid=CNNc3semeqLoCM&w=630&h=1200&q=The Old Guard - cast&safe=strict&ved=2ahUKEwibrO7Z8qTsAhXG0-AKHX3SA6EQMygAegUIARCjAQ

Edited by wearysmith

Vampires v Brooklyn

6.5/10

I needed a film to watch with my 12 year old lad and this was perfect.

Quite entertaining and ideal for family viewing- no swearing or nudity.

Its a mixture of horror with some comedy but the film has a seriousness to it.

Vin Diesel’s Bloodshot.

Absolute rubbish.

Lived it all before. Feels like films about augmented super soldiers are commonplace. Nothing you’ve not seen elsewhere (and done better) in flicks like Terminator. The idea has been around so long it’s a tough sell. All the effects are stolen from The Matrix movies and the story borrows heavily from Marvel’s 70s Deathlok comic. In fact if you go back even further to the 50/60s guys like Dick, Bradbury or Heinlein, I’m sure they’ve covered it too.

Truly disappointing film and I’m gifting it two out of ten because the women in it are so hot (Eiza Gonzalez Reyna and Talulah Jane Riley-Milburn), otherwise it would be zero.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fen%2F4%2F45%2FBloodshot_-_official_film_poster.jpeg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBloodshot_(film)&tbnid=hVH8Fc6oRJPyfM&vet=12ahUKEwjRm9a4iqzsAhVT0oUKHfdBDP0QMygAegUIARCgAQ..i&docid=My5UkL3tBDjfaM&w=220&h=316&q=bloodshot film&safe=active&ved=2ahUKEwjRm9a4iqzsAhVT0oUKHfdBDP0QMygAegUIARCgAQ

Edited by wearysmith

'Little Monsters'

Had loads of fun with this one this afternoon. The Aussies make GREAT films.

A kindergarten teacher and her male admirer protect a class of 5 years olds trapped in a petting zoo during yet another zombie apocalypse. I giggled all the way through. 
There's a very lovely (Neil Diamond) 'Sweet Caroline' scene, and I bet when Taylor Swift wrote 'Shake It Off' she never envisaged its use for fending off the undead. 
It's on Sky Cinema and worth an hour and a half of anyone's time.
An easy 9/10

The Trial of the Chicago 7

9/10

This is a great depiction of a not very well known story. It’s well written and very well acted, with a few humorous moments to lighten what is actually a really serious story.

Really enjoyed it.

6 hours ago, wearysmith said:

'Little Monsters'

Had loads of fun with this one this afternoon. The Aussies make GREAT films.

A kindergarten teacher and her male admirer protect a class of 5 years olds trapped in a petting zoo during yet another zombie apocalypse. I giggled all the way through. 
There's a very lovely (Neil Diamond) 'Sweet Caroline' scene, and I bet when Taylor Swift wrote 'Shake It Off' she never envisaged its use for fending off the undead. 
It's on Sky Cinema and worth an hour and a half of anyone's time.
An easy 9/10

I liked this as well, the Zombie makeup for a comedy film is excellent too.

On 18/10/2020 at 16:10, nikki-red said:

The Trial of the Chicago 7

9/10

This is a great depiction of a not very well known story. It’s well written and very well acted, with a few humorous moments to lighten what is actually a really serious story.

Really enjoyed it.

Agreed and same rating for me too. Great cast and surprisingly funny.

I hope the part where the Judge ordered the Black Guy to be beaten, chained and gagged  was fitcion  rather than fact,  if true  I hope the Judge was severly reprimanded/sacked whatever,  it was disgusting. I remember seeing these protest at the time, so it was a good insight to the aftermath, Great film tho. :thumbsup: