Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

1917 . Very good. May get an Oscar.

On 19/01/2020 at 23:16, rachelmum said:

Little Women. A long film which told the story well but was forgettable to  me. Not a massive fan of classic books 6.5/ 10. Nice night out with my daughter made it worth while. 

I was wondering whether to see this. Don’t think I will bother.

Color out of Space  8/10

Based on a Lovecraft short story, its a crazy, trippy, visually stunning sci-fi horror with just enough comedy.
I really liked it, even Nicholas Cage didnt spoil it for me :) 

The Battleship Island - 7.5/10

Korean film about the real-life Hashima Island, 9km off the coast of Nagasaki, which contained a fortress-like seawall around its coast (this and the island's shape gave it the name 'Battleship' in Japanese) protecting an undersea coal mine that during WW2 was a major resource for the Japanese and the site of a forced labour camp for Korean men, women and children.

The movie is essentially a fictional account of a group of people arriving on the island to be turned into slave labourers or 'comfort' women and their attempt to survive and escape.

Not nearly as bleak as it could have been given the subject matter and a fair amount of action as the story progresses.

1917.  9/10

An amazing film, had me literally on the edge of my seat chewing my nails throughout.  Beautiful soundtrack and amazing cinematography made it feel like you were there.  The bodies strewn around caught the moment perfectly without it being gory or gratuitous.

I'm absolutely staggered that some people have called it slow and boring.  I find that a shocking insult to those that died.  I guess its these kind of people who like low brow action films with lazy cliched dialogue.

1917. 7/10 

Its ok film, but I like "Dunkirk" much more

Terminator: Dark Fate.. 4/10

Now sure why this was made but persevered till the end. 

Hidden Figures on channel 4 last night. I only watched it because there was nothing else on but it was really interesting. Based on true events, 3 African  American women's story about how they overcame prejudice whilst working in NASAs space programme in the 1960s.

9/10

The Report - 8/10

Adam Driver stars as a Democratic Party Senator's aide who is tasked to lead the Senate investigation into the CIA use of torture against prisoners after the September 11th terrorist attack on the US.

Driver tries to portray righteous indignation at certain points but sometimes overdoes it and goes straight into Kylo Ren tantrums.

Quite interesting to see how it subtly accuses films like Zero Dark Thirty of being partly based on a CIA cover stories spread to try and deflect public opinion against the torture investigation.

21 Bridges  6.5/10

Chadwick 'Black Panther' Boseman stars in this crime action film, in which he plays a cop with a reputation for gunning down criminals.

Worth a watch though predictable as you get half way.

Parasite - 9/10

Bong Joon-ho's story about the poor Kim family, the lowest of the low in Seoul society, who seize upon an opportunity to insinuate themselves into the luxurious lives of the wealthy Park family in order to vicariously enjoy their lifestyle and make money.

Enjoyed this a lot. As a fan of Korean cinema and of the lead actor Song Kang-ho it's nice to see them both getting a bit of wider attention. The 2nd half of the film didn't shock me in the way it appears to have shocked a lot of people who have seen the film in the US but I guess the tonal shifts of the film aren't the kind of thing you see in Hollywood movies.

1917:  8/10  

This film follows the mission of one man who is destined to travel through enemy lines to get a message to another battalion to halt their advance, because the German's have set up an ambush and a slaughter will ensue.  To make it even more interesting, the man's brother is in the other battalion which is planning the advance, so he has a personal reason to want to get there, in addition to a sense of duty.  

You'll have to watch the film yourself if you want to find out what happens to him along the way and whether he makes it.  What I would say is that it's an interesting journey!  

The producer of the film, Sam Mendes, has based this on a story told to him by one of his forefathers who fought in the war.  So it is a dramatisation of what may represent a real event.  I didn't realise that until the credits came up at the end, but I found that very poignant.  Of course, there are many such stories like this, of bravery and human spirit that went beyond endeavour.

I think they capture the story beautifully and I found the film really engaging.  I also appreciated the cinematography which was very realistic and gave a sense of actually being there as someone has already said.  I also appreciated that there was a strong story line to it and not just a load of noises and special effects, which in my view, is what a lot of modern films amount to these days.  Poor story lines but big on noise and special effects.  

My criticism of this film would be that it is a very myopic, one-dimensional, film.  There are no "side-stories" to it, nothing going on around the main action.   It's a very simplistic plot really, which is all about, "can he make it?".  The other thing I did not like at all, was the abundance of London accents.  For the first hour of the film every soldier was speaking in a London accent.  I was beginning to wonder if it was only people from London that fought in the war?  

Altogether though, a very engaging film and would definitely recommend.

Knives Out   7/10

If you like a murder mystery 'who done it' type of film, then this one is for you.

It has a stellar cast including Daniel Craig, Jamie Lee Curtis and Mike Shannon. It was good to see Don Johnson, still looks smooth the sonofagun.