We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Details to follow.

Rate the last film that you've seen - part two

The Tiger: An Old Hunter's Tale - 8.5/10

In Japanese-occupied Korea in the 1920s the 'King of Tigers' is hunted on the orders of a Japanese General. A old hunter (Choi Min-sik from Oldboy), refuses to take part whilst a younger one will go to any length to kill the beast that cannot be killed.

Part Moby Dick-esqe tale of obsession, part allegory for Korean resistance against their Japanese occupiers set on the backdrop of a snow covered mountain. A tad overlong but a thrilling and moving experience with superb use of CGI.

Anyone seen 'Deepwater Horizon' ?

There was a lot of technical stuff in the first hour or so and I'm wondering if people who were unfamiliar with offshore drilling could make sense of it.

Watched it last week, I thought it was really good. Obviously not a feel good movie, but really well made, well paced, engaging.

8/10

---------- Post added 15-10-2016 at 10:05 ----------

Peregrines Weird Children 6/10 - Not awful, but many bits of the 'plot' don't make much sense.

(BBC2 - today's saturday morning movie).

Wuthering Heights (1939) An All-time Classic Cast created an All-time Classic Movie.

Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier, Flora Robson, David Niven etc... 10/10

Midnight Run - 8/10 - Vastly underrated crime/comedy with De Niro (and Grodin) on top form, a lot of effing & jeffing forced the 18 rating but its not a nasty film in any way. Such a shame that De Niro wasted his superb acting talent by starring in such dross in later years.

Marathon Man - 8/10 - Classic 70's thriller with a great cast (Hoffman, Scheider, Olivier) and some brilliant tense scenes.

---------- Post added 10-10-2016 at 23:16 ----------

Deadpool - 7/10 - Was really looking forward to this but it doesn't quite live up to expectations, a good character played well by Ryan Reynolds the action is very violent but the film doesn't really go anywhere and the humour mostly falls flat.

Re Marathon Man, did you cancel any dental appointments after watching it ? :D

---------- Post added 16-10-2016 at 19:06 ----------

Midnight Run - 8/10 - Vastly underrated crime/comedy with De Niro (and Grodin) on top form, a lot of effing & jeffing forced the 18 rating but its not a nasty film in any way. Such a shame that De Niro wasted his superb acting talent by starring in such dross in later years.

Excellent film, the rapport between Grodin and De Niro is so funny all the way through. One of my favourite movies.

Wild Oats - Jessica Lange, Billy Connelly - I thought this was really good, lots of laughs and leaves you with a good feeling.

Café Society - Slow to begin but definitely worth a watch. Pity they cast the awful Kristen Stewart who is a wooden as ever.

Florence Foster Jenkins - Great film & will make you laugh out loud. Meryl Streep is an amazing actress and she doesn't disappoint in this.

Summer Villa - god only knows how I ended up watching a Hallmark movie but I liked this one, set in the south of France and is quite a good chick flick.

Not a movie but a new series - The Exorcist - very scary and compels you to watch more, good series from the start, good actors and can't wait to see more of it.

Edited by fridayfeelin
added more

Swedish (ie original version) of The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. 9/10 very good and a lot less hollywood than the English/American version. (warning: rape scene about quarter of the way through).

Swedish (ie original version) of The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. 9/10 very good and a lot less hollywood than the English/American version. (warning: rape scene about quarter of the way through).

I've watched the trilogy of the Swedish versions and whilst all good films I think David Fincher did a good job of TGWTDT and its in no way a lesser film.

Der Anstandige - 7/10 - Documentary about Heinrich Himmler put together using stock footage and transcripts of letters and diary entires found in his home, chilling with some quite disturbing footage.

Edited by top4718

Watched a good oldie (1971) for the first time since it first aired on TV. This film marked Spielberg's first attempt at directing i.e. DUEL starring Dennis Weaver a red Plymouth and an antsy tanker driver. Forgot how spare this movie was, but it was well done and you could cut the tension with a knife 9/10

Edited by TORONTONY
spelling error

Mardi Gras Massacre (1978) - I've been watching some of the original films on the 80's nasties list and most are truly awful with this being up there with the worst. A killer (who's a dreadful actor) is sacrificing prostitutes that he picks up in bars backed by some truly bizarre music, inept cops and the same quite gory (though low budget) murder scene repeated 3 times for different victims.

Atrocious. :hihi::hihi:

Girl on the Train 6/10 - good twist, should have been 20 minutes shorter though.

Paul - 7.5/10 - funny.