Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Just watched spaceballs (1987) on youtube LOL, first time in years, not the best film ever, but a great parody and still funny as hell

7/10

Bad Samaritan - surprisingly good  even for David Tennant  - 7.75/10

Captain Marvel 8/10 - really very good, just the usual marvel questions like "why didn't she just kill him instead of stunning him so he could come back 30 seconds later and extend the fight scene".

T2 Trainspotting 7/10. This is funny,  but only if you saw the first one 20 years ago. If you didn't see the original, this is probably a waste of time. The lads are 20 years older, but their characters are unchanged. Great soundtrack.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Maniac (2012)   7/10

Ive not seen the original so cant compare, but I thought this was a pretty good film.

Its filmed from the killers POV which makes all the violence etc even more dramatic and disturbing, and Elijah Wood does a great job. Hes quite clearly a deranged psychopath but beyond that I actually felt quite sorry for him.

Edited by nikki-red

The Mule  8/10

Clint Eastwood still going strong at 88 years old- here he plays real life Leo Sharpe (who was in his 80s) who became a drug mule for a Mexican cartel.

With a good support cast it makes this movie worth watching.

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:11, nikki-red said:

Maniac (2012)   7/10

Ive not seen the original so cant compare, but I thought this was a pretty good film.

Its filmed from the killers POV which makes all the violence etc even more dramatic and disturbing, and Elijah Wood does a great job. Hes quite clearly a deranged psychopath but beyond that I actually felt quite sorry for him.

The original is definitely worth seeking out. It's sleaziness derives from the fact that it's locations (late 1970s New York) look very run down; the violence is very strong; and the film stock is grainy. It's not shot from the killer's POV. The acting from the killer is very good - he cuts a pathetic figure. 

There isn't so much a story, but some of the sequences are incredibly tense & well orchestrated. It does have a bad reputation, I think that's because people look at it through modern eyes. Yes it's sexist & sleazy - just look at the front cover of the DVD!

Given that it's a very popular film, I would've thought you could pick it up for a fiver second hand.

Edited by Mister M

The Highwaymen (now on Netflix) - 8/10

The story of the two former Texas Rangers who were hired to hunt down and kill Bonnie & Clyde. Good performances from Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson, even if the roles they were playing weren't a million miles from other roles they've played before, Enjoyable if perhaps slightly longer than it needed to be.

Solo - A Star Wars story.  I quite enjoyed this, all the main characters had a decent amount of swagger and it rattled along nicely. Felt more Guardians of the galaxy than Star Wars but was none the worse for it. Loses a point for crap sound quality. 6.5/10

On 29/03/2019 at 17:32, Mister M said:

The original is definitely worth seeking out. It's sleaziness derives from the fact that it's locations (late 1970s New York) look very run down; the violence is very strong; and the film stock is grainy. It's not shot from the killer's POV. The acting from the killer is very good - he cuts a pathetic figure. 

There isn't so much a story, but some of the sequences are incredibly tense & well orchestrated. It does have a bad reputation, I think that's because people look at it through modern eyes. Yes it's sexist & sleazy - just look at the front cover of the DVD!

Given that it's a very popular film, I would've thought you could pick it up for a fiver second hand.

Thanks for that Mister M, Ill definitely look into it.

On 08/02/2014 at 17:56, taxman said:

Harry brown

It could have been a sub rate Death Wish but Michael Caine's performance was very good and lifted the whole film.

He can be a very good actor when he tries and isn't doing z rate movies.

8/10

Yeah, I watched that a few weeks back, I liked it too, agree with your rating.

Pet Sematary (2019)     7/10

Not a bad remake, enjoyable enough though the ending felt rushed and it lacked the general creepiness of the original. There are also a lot of changes from the book, some that I understand more than others.

Worth a watch tho.

Edited by nikki-red