Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Sputnik 

Another choice of - Her That Should Be Obeyed.

not my cup of tea 

yep, Another 'Alien' film in the tradition of 'Alien' and really it wasn't that bad just not my type of thing.

Russian cosmonaut brings back an 'Alien life force that lives in his body (but only certain times of the day -LOL)
of course the Russian military want to use it as a weapon.
Can they find a way to control it? you will have to watch it yourselves to find out.
lots of gore and rat a tat tat of guns. half decent story line that isn't that bad really.
Subtitled with special effects that are up there with the usual gory stuff.  

worth watching?  probably Yes, certainly not that bad that you should avoid it.

7 / 10

Painted Bird.

(Extremely) Controversial film unless your into Bestiality, Nymphomania, sodomy, violence and animal cruelty that is.

3 hrs (well near enough) of trash filmed in Black and White. Because Its a well know fact prior to colour film being invented every one lived in a Black and White World. Utter nonsense of course, unless you are filming a deliberately controversial arty-farty film that is.

Follow (or don't if you have any sense)  a young displaced Jewish boy only referred to as 'boy' in the film as he goes from one controversial scene to another.

The villages and countryside filming was about as realistic as you could get for something set in 1930's eastern Europe which for me who ever was responsible for finding the locations deserves more of a mention than the film itself. 

Filmed using interslavic (subtitled) as not to upset any of the Slavic nations - well that hasn't worked as mass walk outs have followed the films showing world wide.

So what do you do when you've filmed a deliberately controversial 3hr film - end it with a non ending.

Not for the faint of heart and difficult to rate (and watch) so i'm going to chicken out and give it a 5/10  

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

The Old Guard

Reminiscent of Highlander, with less story, Charlize Theron's star power amps it from a 5 to an 8.

The Rhythm Section - 8/10

A woman who lost her entire family in a plane crash embarks on a journey of revenge after being told by a journalist that it was terrorism and that he knows the identity of the bomb-maker.

The Burnt Orange Heresy.

Well what's to say?

I'd say avoid.

The Big return to the screen of Mick Jagger after 20 years away from filming was disappointing to say the least.

Looking more like his spitting image puppet than his spitting image puppet and with poor lines didn't do much for his return (IMO).

I did like the initial twist regarding the Artist's (Donald Sutherland) work but the rest was pretty dismal and predictable viewing.

The poor twist that is the ending didn't really do anything to make up for a very week story line at all.

Worth watching? I wouldn't say so.

(Even Elizabeth Debicki getting her kit off had me wanting to send the poor lass a food parcel)

3/10 for me. 

Sully

I enjoyed this film.  It’s a true story about two pilots having to make an emergency landing on the Hudson River after the plane is hit by a flock of geese.

The incident has been called the Miracle on the Hudson and I can understand why after watching the film.

10/10

Rambo: Last Blood. I liked the one before this, and the very first one was good. This wasn't. It was an ultra violent A team episode but without the depth. Paper thin characters came and went (and were mostly despatched violently). It had a nice montage of Rambo setting his traps - you don't see them much now. But it had no story that wasn't explained in one line - niece kidnapped, Rambo kills everyone. That's it. The first had a bit of social commentary, this had nowt. 3/10.

12 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Rambo: Last Blood. I liked the one before this, and the very first one was good. This wasn't. It was an ultra violent A team episode but without the depth. Paper thin characters came and went (and were mostly despatched violently). It had a nice montage of Rambo setting his traps - you don't see them much now. But it had no story that wasn't explained in one line - niece kidnapped, Rambo kills everyone. That's it. The first had a bit of social commentary, this had nowt. 3/10.

I just had a watch of all the Rambo films.

All fairly much along the same lines as you say "Rambo kills everyone" but I enjoyed the journey from young ex soldier to killer old man from hell!

A rating for the series...5.5/10

I think I'll try the three Expendables films next.

On 31/08/2020 at 20:38, tinfoilhat said:

First Blood is a great film. It's got a lot more going on than any of the sequels given that it deals with the issues of returning Vietnam vets struggling with PTSD as well as returning to an America that no longer wants them and treats them poorly. The sequels are just OTT action films with increasingly dodgy politics.

Kolchak: The Night Stalker & Kolchak: The Night Strangler - 7/10 each

TV movies from 1972 and 1973 that were the inspiration for The X-Files about an intrepid reporter called Kolchak who is assigned to investigate a series of murders, annoying politicians, the police, his bosses and anyone else he speaks to with his crusade for truth and justice as he becomes convinced that the perpetrators of the crimes have supernatural origins; firstly a vampire and secondly a man who kills people every 20 years in order to live forever (I think X-Files stole that storyline for their Eugene Victor Tooms character).

Definitely TV movie of the week in quality but the actor playing Kolchak is brilliant and he narrates his own adventures as in the likes of Dragnet, Police Squad or Fletch with humour. Silly but fun.

Abandoned  7/10

Incredible story of the 4 man crew of the trimaran Rose Noelle, that capsized in a freak storm then drifted at sea for 4 months.

If you don’t know the story (as I didn’t) watch it without googling it first.

Edited by nikki-red