Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

'Always' on SKY.

Always Poster

Long been one of my favourite films, but had not seen it for many years. Just the right amount of schmaltz and great performances from Holly Hunter and Richard Dreyfuss. Ghost films have to be handled right or they just come across as annoying. Fortunately the director and screenwriters made decent reference to the original  (A Guy Named Joe)

A Guy Named Joe Poster

If I had a quibble (and I don't really), it's that Mary Helgenberger's character was woefully underused. It was a funny part and there was definitely room for development. Not making full use of a gorgeous long-legged redhead knocks a point off, so 9 out of 10 from me.

It's also a shame that Brad Johnson's career never really took off. I know he's had steady work through the years, but this, his 2nd film, appears to have been the highpoint of his filmography.    

Edited by wearysmith

Just re-watched 'The Holiday' for the umpteenth time. We keep going back.  I dunno why. Just like it.

I've a lot of time for the work of Nancy Meyers, but on this occasion I think sections are poorly directed. She very much portrays the English as Americans like to see us.  That grates, but overall the good scenes drowns out the bad.

The ending is always bittersweet/disappointing. It's not the normal rom-com 'happy ever after' that everyone wants.

I’ll refer here to Buzzfeed’s review. Their summary over the obviously-doomed romances was "In conclusion, I take this movie too seriously and probably need to lighten up a little".

We found their associated poll quite amusing. Almost as close as BREXIT.

Have you been personally victimized by the ending to The Holiday?

“No, I somehow have a life outside of obsessing over romantic comedies from 2006” = 58%

“Yes! I NEED TO KNOW IF THESE RELATIONSHIPS SUCCEED” = 42%

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katangus/we-need-to-talk-about-the-ending-of-the-holiday

Edited by nikki-red

The Meg 2018

Bit reluctant to watch this Sci Fi Action film. Can the original Jaws ever be beaten?

HTSBO chose this. I'm never sure about the whole big fish thing, Giant Piranha's, swamp monsters or Godzilla, etc.

Got to admit this wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be - in fact it wasn't bad at all.

Loved all the 'Supercar' type submersibles (more Gerry Anderson than Lamborghini) and the almost constant action made the film.

Bit of slushy romance stuff going on in there as well.

All in All a pretty good film, very much an up dated 'Jaw's' but well done and enjoyable. (& a second one in the pipe line)

8/10 

My Choice next - lol

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

'The Spy who came in from the cold' -   7/10

Edited by nikki-red

In The Line Of Duty  - 7/10

The Aaron Eckhart/Netflix film, not the Clint Eastwood/John Malkovich one.

Beat cop races against time to find a kidnapped girl whilst being live streamed by some millennial wannabe Youtuber (or Twitch or whatever). Silly concept, swings between being a comedy and a surprising violent action film without a pause and I lost a lot of sympathy for the live streamer when her friend turned out to be a  anti-vaxxer but overall an entertaining bit of nonsense.

Greyhound - 8/10

Adapted from the C.S. Forester book 'The Good Shepherd' by Tom Hanks. The story of a WW2 merchant convoy led and protected by the USS Greyhound sailing across the part of the Atlantic where there was no air cover and coming under attack from a German U-boat Wolf Pack.

Tense and action-packed, enjoyed this one a lot.

Brain on Fire - 7.5/10

Well acted film about a really interesting subject.

The true story of Susanna Callahan, Chloe Moretz plays a successful young woman whose life is taken over by a misdiagnosed mental illness.  It’s only when she hits rock bottom that a professor discovers it’s something completely different. 

My only criticism is I’d have liked the film to have shown more of her recovery. 

Another book to add to my shopping list I think!

The Old Guard   7.5/10

Very enjoyable Netflix film starring CharlizTheron - who leads a small group of immortals.

A CIA security head decides to collaborate with a twisted drug company CEO, who wants to extract their DNA to create a new drug.

5 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

The Old Guard   7.5/10

Very enjoyable Netflix film starring CharlizTheron - who leads a small group of immortals.

A CIA security head decides to collaborate with a twisted drug company CEO, who wants to extract their DNA to create a new drug.

Excellent film, looks like there is going to be a sequel.