Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Holmes & Watson - 1/10

I love a good comedy & this is nothing like a good comedy. Have given it 1 out of 10 due to the fact I laughed once (was more of a smirk really). 90mins of my life I'll never get back.

Frontiere(s)   7/10

The French really know how to do extreme horror. Its fast-paced, well acted, violent and brutal. 

King of Thieves - yet another movie (the third) about the Hatton Garden robbery by a group of oldies.

A great cast, but badly used.  Started out as a fun comedy caper (a but like Caine's other elderly robbery film "Going in Style"), but changed tack halfway through and became yet another vehicle for Ray Winstone to act menacing with his trademark "you slaaaaaggggg" stock phrases.   

Michael Gambon was underused, and its a travesty to see national treasure Tom Courtenay, more used to gentle comedy effect in things like "Royle Family" to be uttering the C word.

4/10

The Orphanage (El Orfanato)   8/10

Its like an atmospheric,  beautifully shot, well acted, creepy, dark and incredibly sad Spanish fairy tale. 

I really enjoyed it.

Edited by nikki-red

Glass   5/10

A bit of a let down sadly for M Knight.

Just when it looked like  he was getting back to somewhere near his best -he botches up again!

Back to the drawing board ..

Edited by Guest

The girl in the spider's web
Slick and well paced with Claire Foy replacing Rapace as Salander. More Bourne than Dragon though and whilst I like Bourne, this was oddly uninvolving. 5/10

Glass - 6/10, pretty good, not as good as Unbreakable though.  (I haven't seen Split, so maybe that would have improved it for me).

On 21/01/2019 at 23:39, ChrisIB said:

The girl in the spider's web
Slick and well paced with Claire Foy replacing Rapace as Salander. More Bourne than Dragon though and whilst I like Bourne, this was oddly uninvolving. 5/10

I have to say I was severely disappointed with this one. I think mostly because the story was just baaaaad. The cinematography and action were adequate and Claire Foy was a pale shadow of Lisbeth compared to Noomi Rapace or even Rooney Mara's portrayal but that could have been overlooked if the story wasn't just rubbish. I guess that's down to whoever it was wrote Lisbeth as if she were some kind of hacker superhero going about righting wrongs against women. Did they even bother to read Stieg Larsson's novels first? So glad I didn't waste any of my time reading the book if this plot was the basis of it.

3/10

4 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

I have to say I was severely disappointed with this one. I think mostly because the story was just baaaaad. The cinematography and action were adequate and Claire Foy was a pale shadow of Lisbeth compared to Noomi Rapace or even Rooney Mara's portrayal but that could have been overlooked if the story wasn't just rubbish. I guess that's down to whoever it was wrote Lisbeth as if she were some kind of hacker superhero going about righting wrongs against women. Did they even bother to read Stieg Larsson's novels first? So glad I didn't waste any of my time reading the book if this plot was the basis of it.

3/10

I can't understand why they never made US film versions of Larsson's sequels but then make one of this inferior book from a different author.

Widows 8/10

Very enjoyable heist movie with a strong female cast and support from Liam Neeson, Colin Farrell and Robert Duvall.

The wife of a criminal has to repay  $1m from who it was stolen from, after her husband and crew are apparently killed by cops. She seeks help from the other widows to pull off a job.

Green Book  9.5/10

Fantastic film about the Pianist Dr Don Shirleys relationship with his Chauffeur Tony “Lip” Vallelonga.
Totally deserves all the Oscar nominations etc.

Polar - 8/10

The new Mads Mikkelsen starring Netflix film, based on a graphic novel and definitely not trying to pretend otherwise, about one of the world's best assassins who is about to retire to the quiet life in a cabin in snowy Montana only to find that the company he used to kill people for don't want to pay for his pension plan so decide to kill him instead (yes that's really the 'plot').

Super violent and bloody with occasional sexy times thrown in for good measure and very adult comic book in style. I really shouldn't like this as much as I did but it turned out to be quite fun and I just love Mads Mikkelsen. It's like John Wick but taking itself a little less serious.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon