Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Journeyman 8/10

Story of a boxer brain damaged during a fight and his struggle for rehabilitation.

Slow first 30 minutes in the build up to the fight focusing on his gentleness and love towards his wife and baby daughter. At this point in the film I was ready to walk out through shear banality and boredom. ( i’m not a great lover of British made films ) This film was a collaboration between Channel4 and Yorkshire Film.

It sort of had the feeling of a 1960s «* kitchen sink drama*» ( Ken Loach et al).

However what a film it turned out to be. It wasn’t until halfway through that it dawned on me that it was filmed in Sheffield , saw scenes on the Wicker, or more accurately Burngreave and Brendan Ingles gym Wincobank. There were other scenes filmed at Bramall Lane, Barnsley Metrodome.

Moving and heart warming. Still not sure whether it was pro or anti boxing.

Side note. Not the «* usual*» Showroom type crowd

---------- Post added 01-04-2018 at 07:58 ----------

Lady Bird 10/10. Simply brilliant

Isnt that Only Lovers Left Alive?

Let the Right One In is the Swedish vampire film.

Yes of course, had both DVD cases in front of me....

Only Lovers Left Alive - not watched "Let the right one" yet...

Well spotted!

Villain - 7/10 - Gritty British crime pic from the 70's, has echoes of Get Carter, Richard Burton stars as the Ronnie Kray alike Vic Dakin.

Reight film that :thumbsup:

Villain - 7/10 - Gritty British crime pic from the 70's, has echoes of Get Carter, Richard Burton stars as the Ronnie Kray alike Vic Dakin.

Is that the one where Roger Daltry ( Who) plays John McVicar?

---------- Post added 01-04-2018 at 15:02 ----------

Is that the one where Roger Daltry ( Who) plays John McVicar?

No, I am wrong here, that film was called simply McVicar.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Journeyman 8/10

Story of a boxer brain damaged during a fight and his struggle for rehabilitation.

Slow first 30 minutes in the build up to the fight focusing on his gentleness and love towards his wife and baby daughter. At this point in the film I was ready to walk out through shear banality and boredom. ( i’m not a great lover of British made films ) This film was a collaboration between Channel4 and Yorkshire Film.

It sort of had the feeling of a 1960s «* kitchen sink drama*» ( Ken Loach et al).

However what a film it turned out to be. It wasn’t until halfway through that it dawned on me that it was filmed in Sheffield , saw scenes on the Wicker, or more accurately Burngreave and Brendan Ingles gym Wincobank. There were other scenes filmed at Bramall Lane, Barnsley Metrodome.

Moving and heart warming. Still not sure whether it was pro or anti boxing.

Side note. Not the «* usual*» Showroom type crowd

---------- Post added 01-04-2018 at 07:58 ----------

Lady Bird 10/10. Simply brilliant

Never heard of Journeyman I'd be interested in watching it though.

Spiderman- Homecoming. Over reliant on special effects, over reliant on the rest of the marvel universe, over long guff. 4/10

Watched The Green Mile again last night , brilliant

Unlocked, not that good but worth it for super fit Noomi Rapace, 4/10

The Mummy. The new one with tiny tom cruise. He's normally pretty watchable can turn a crap film into something half decent but didn't stand a chance with this turkey. The plot was muddled, it sort of wanted to be a zombie/horror film but couldn't pull that off as it wasn't scary enough and was way short of wise cracking daring do of the Mummy films of the late 90s early 00s. It reminded me oddly enough of some of the later Underworld films - dark and broody but no substance. 4/10

I watched the Green Mile last night for the first time everyone told me its good and it sure was great film

I watched the Green Mile last night for the first time everyone told me its good and it sure was great film

I think it's one of those films that most seem to like apart from me. Same as The Shawshank Redemption, which with the Green Mile shares the same writer and director - the film did nothing for me.

The Beguiled (2017) 0-10

Baywatch(2017) 1-10

Spiderman Homecoming 1-10

Unforgettable (2017) 2-10

6 Below - 3-10

I think its time i renewed my Cineworld 'cos if these are the best that movies that i wait for on Sky, i need to get out more.