Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Star Trek Beyond has so many plot holes, I don't know why Trekkies weren't boycotting the cinemas in protest.

I'd give it 6.5 / 10.

The special effects were very good, and JJ starts the film off in his unique style (with a big lens flare)

Because Trek has always had plot-holes in it, and the Original Series is a terrible mess of continuity - however, it has a sense of fun to it, which allows us to look beyond the story flaws.

Oh, and JJ didn't direct, so the lens flare is not his doing.

Anyone seen 'Deepwater Horizon' ?

There was a lot of technical stuff in the first hour or so and I'm wondering if people who were unfamiliar with offshore drilling could make sense of it.

Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan

I give it a KHAAAAAAAANine out of ten.

Star Trek Beyond - 8.5/10

A big improvement on Star Trek 2.2: The Re-wrath Of Benedict Khanerbatch. Still got a very silly ending but it gets away with it because this one was just more fun with better jokes for Scotty (not surprising since he wrote them) and lots more screen time and quips for McCoy.

Hand on a minute, you said Star Trek Beyond was a big improvement over Into Darkness but you rated Into Darkness higher ? Hmmm . . . I prefer Into Darkness and here's why:

In Beyond, there was absolutely no sense of peril at any time.

A film should make me experience a wide range of emotions, from excitement to fear. I'm sorry but Beyond fails on all counts. As no point did I ever think one of the senior Enterprise crew were in mortal danger. Krall seemed happy to capture the hostages alive, which we'd already worked out near the start of the film, when the Enterprise was getting torn to shreds (and the Enterprise always gets torn to shreds, in every Star Trek film).

Compare this to Into Darkness, where:

(1) I thought Spock was gonna get boiled alive or frozen to death at the start

(2) either the Klingons or

(3) Khan were gonna kill Kirk and Spock when they arrived on Kronos then

(4) Admiral Marcus (Robocop! :o ) turns up in the USS Vengeance to destroy the Enterprise only for

(5) Khan to attempt the same then for

(6) Kirk to die in the Enterprise engine room.

Wow! Now that was a film even non-Trekkies could enjoy :)

I give Star Trek Into Darkness 9 / 10.

Ghostbusters (2016) - 7/10

Not a patch on the original of course but still quite good in it's own right, mainly due to the excellent Kate McKinnon.

---------- Post added 08-10-2016 at 21:38 ----------

Hand on a minute, you said Star Trek Beyond was a big improvement over Into Darkness but you rated Into Darkness higher ?

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition...

Call it a rush of blood to the head immediately after seeing it. My view of Into Darkness has changed over time as my initial post-cinema enthusiasm waned with repeat viewing giving me time to think about the lazy script subverting Wrath of Khan rather than offering anything particularly new. The whole bringing back to life amd transporting across the galaxy bits in particular grate on me now, with the Youtube series

pointing out the silliness of it perfectly.

Of your points 1-6, I can only agree with 1. It's a great opening scene.

My view of Beyond will probably change too once I've had a change to watch it again. Right now I still feel it's probably a more satisfying film overall than Into Darkness.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

Marathon Man - 8/10 - Classic 70's thriller with a great cast (Hoffman, Scheider, Olivier) and some brilliant tense scenes.

---------- Post added 10-10-2016 at 23:16 ----------

Deadpool - 7/10 - Was really looking forward to this but it doesn't quite live up to expectations, a good character played well by Ryan Reynolds the action is very violent but the film doesn't really go anywhere and the humour mostly falls flat.

I last saw the movie SLEEPAWAY CAMP (1983) on VHS :)

10/10

The Tiger: An Old Hunter's Tale - 8.5/10

In Japanese-occupied Korea in the 1920s the 'King of Tigers' is hunted on the orders of a Japanese General. A old hunter (Choi Min-sik from Oldboy), refuses to take part whilst a younger one will go to any length to kill the beast that cannot be killed.

Part Moby Dick-esqe tale of obsession, part allegory for Korean resistance against their Japanese occupiers set on the backdrop of a snow covered mountain. A tad overlong but a thrilling and moving experience with superb use of CGI.

Anyone seen 'Deepwater Horizon' ?

There was a lot of technical stuff in the first hour or so and I'm wondering if people who were unfamiliar with offshore drilling could make sense of it.

Watched it last week, I thought it was really good. Obviously not a feel good movie, but really well made, well paced, engaging.

8/10

---------- Post added 15-10-2016 at 10:05 ----------

Peregrines Weird Children 6/10 - Not awful, but many bits of the 'plot' don't make much sense.

(BBC2 - today's saturday morning movie).

Wuthering Heights (1939) An All-time Classic Cast created an All-time Classic Movie.

Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier, Flora Robson, David Niven etc... 10/10

Midnight Run - 8/10 - Vastly underrated crime/comedy with De Niro (and Grodin) on top form, a lot of effing & jeffing forced the 18 rating but its not a nasty film in any way. Such a shame that De Niro wasted his superb acting talent by starring in such dross in later years.

Marathon Man - 8/10 - Classic 70's thriller with a great cast (Hoffman, Scheider, Olivier) and some brilliant tense scenes.

---------- Post added 10-10-2016 at 23:16 ----------

Deadpool - 7/10 - Was really looking forward to this but it doesn't quite live up to expectations, a good character played well by Ryan Reynolds the action is very violent but the film doesn't really go anywhere and the humour mostly falls flat.

Re Marathon Man, did you cancel any dental appointments after watching it ? :D

---------- Post added 16-10-2016 at 19:06 ----------

Midnight Run - 8/10 - Vastly underrated crime/comedy with De Niro (and Grodin) on top form, a lot of effing & jeffing forced the 18 rating but its not a nasty film in any way. Such a shame that De Niro wasted his superb acting talent by starring in such dross in later years.

Excellent film, the rapport between Grodin and De Niro is so funny all the way through. One of my favourite movies.