Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Wheat free cooking

Having a wheat intolerance, I find the cost of eating wheat free way too high. I would prefer to make my own bread, Yorkshire puddings, pies etc but they never seem to turn out right by changing the flour.

Has anyone had any success with making their own wheat free foods?

If you want a wheat free diet. The only way is really to give up flour to be honest. There is no way around that. Even these manufactured "wheat free" flour is more or less of a con to be honest. It really does not work that way. For a period of time, I would suggest to stick with vegetables, and also meat. You will be quite surprised at how easy it can be to have a wheat free diet. It does go to show how much we rely on bread alone.

Instead of pies. You can make casseroles. Or you can grill meat, and spread a sauce onto them afterwards. Or you can try to use less pastry in a pie like filo pastry instead of a short crust pie.

I have cut out bread and pies for a very long time and my health is better for it to be honest. I also omitted muesli and cereals too from my breakfast and opted for fruits and yoghurt instead. It can be possible.

I'm not sure how using less pastry is any good for a wheat free diet. :rolleyes:

Kitts. Have you got Phil Vickery's books? They are great. The Baking one is particularly good.

I buy nice GF bread from a local baker. Then I make plenty of things like buckwheat pancakes, almond cakes, GF cookies etc etc.

I don't buy many GF products. Not because they cost too much, but because they generally taste appalling.

My daughter has made sponge/fairy cakes using Doves gluten free flour and to be honest they are delicious.

I've had a go myself and it's easy.

I'm going to have a go at bread so will report success or failure!

I use Dove flour too and it's ok. I've also got every kind of flour under the sun I think and I'm still in the experimental phase.

I do find that yorkshire puds work best with an extra egg if you want a good rise on them.