Applying for council property after been evicted ?

Hi guy and girls

Last year was a rough year for me after loosing my job after 15 years working for the same company I found my self with big cash problems.

Any way I fell behind with my rent on my flat and the council ended up seeking possession for none payment of rent which ended up coming to over £2000 in rent debt.

So since then iv been sleeping at friends house from week to week but finally got a good job in the same thing I did before so now am back on my feet.

Let me get to the point, I wanted to ask if I can still bid or apply for a flat with the council even though they kicked me out for mine payment of rent etc.

At the min a still owe the £2000 plus rent but now am back on my feet am going to start to pay this off but just wanted a bit of advice from anyone that works for housing or know how it works for me in the situation.

Thanks for reading this and hope someone can explain if not will have to pop into housing when I get a day off as I work crazy hours

Thanks again john

You will have to pay the arrears off before they offer you a property (and then theres no saying how long that will take)

Try applying to Northern Counties, I got a flat from them in under 2 months.

think you may find you have to pay your rent debt or at least some of it before you can bid again . also have you re-registered as everyone one housing list now has to fill in new forms online with lots of ticky boxes.? log onto property shop and it should give you the info you need .

---------- Post added 02-02-2014 at 18:50 ----------

well done for trying to get back on your feet . hope all goes ok and future a lot brighter .

they will want the debt paid before they will offer you anything. councils take the view that by not paying the rent you have made yourself intentionally homeless so they dont have to offer you anything. do not ask me how they work that one out.

if you were on benefits, a good part of your rent and council tax should have been paid? you did claim for these, didnt you?? if not, speak to the counciol and the benefits agency to see if you can claim retrospectively.

they will want the debt paid before they will offer you anything. councils take the view that by not paying the rent you have made yourself intentionally homeless so they dont have to offer you anything. do not ask me how they work that one out.

if you were on benefits, a good part of your rent and council tax should have been paid? you did claim for these, didnt you?? if not, speak to the counciol and the benefits agency to see if you can claim retrospectively.

I would have thought that as it got to an eviction they would have looked at all that prior to the eviction, they won't retrospectively pay them now.

AFAIK Sheffield Homes won't offer you a property if you owe more than £250.

The same happened to me, I was given an emergency council flat at 17 years old back in 2003, but because I was under 18 I could only claim benefits for periods of 6 weeks before it was stopped and I had to reapply. Because of the fact I wasn't continuously in receipt of benefits, my housing benefit claim kept getting put back as it took longer than 6 weeks to process. None of it was my fault, but I still had to stand to the arrears of over £2000.

It took me about 5 or 6 years to pay off enough of the arrears (as Chem says, to below £250) for the council to reinstate my application and allow me to bid. My 'waiting time' is still back to 2003 though, but I still haven't managed to have a successful bid yet!

I thought you had to be 18 to be a tenant, council or private?:confused:

Also, would they pay housing benefit to tenant's in flats under 35 now, or is it under 25 that the coalition is thinking of changing it to?

Edited by poppet2

I thought you had to be 18 to be a tenant, council or private?:confused:

Also, would they pay housing benefit to tenant's in flats under 35 now, or is it under 25 that the coalition is thinking of changing it to?

Can get a tenancy at 16/17 under some circumstances, i.e. homelessness.

It is in fact the best time to be homeless for a young man, as you're deemed vulnerable at 16/17, and come 18, your supposedly tough enough to rough it.

There are some issues that arise about paying bills though, as you can't pay them in certain ways until 18.

Whilst it might not be nice to find yourself homeless at 16/17, it is better than finding so at 18. So if your parents are to kick you out, it's better when your 16/17 as you get priority. Probably 16, due to the time taken to house people with priority nowadays.