Sheffield blitz

[

[/color]Cuttsie. There is a plaque which was in the old division street fire station. Since it was demolished cannot find where it has gone to. Lovely idea for pavement

THE PLAQUE MAY HAVE BEEN MOVED TO THE MUSEUM AT WEST BAR NOW CALLED THE EMERGENCY SERVICES MUSEUM,FORMERLY THE SOUTH YORKSHIRE FIRE MUSEUM.

What is really depressing is that in the space of 40-50 years we went from being the most powerful country in the world to bankrupt.

In what way were we the most powerful country in the world? We needed the USA to win WW1 and the Russians and USA again to win WW2. The Americans and Germans had larger economies than us 100 years ago.

And when did we go bankrupt?

In what way were we the most powerful country in the world? We needed the USA to win WW1 and the Russians and USA again to win WW2. The Americans and Germans had larger economies than us 100 years ago.

It takes a lot to bring a country down( or up ) In both U.S and Russia greed is king in Us the almighty corps' will bring that country to ruin same with Russia Right now China is the power because ALL are working to the same goal ,In britain what I saw was very stupid politics along with large lazy work force (waiting for the incoming flak:hihi::hihi:)We all know Germany and Japan had help to recover but could never have done it without the people,If Britain had rolled up there sleves and got on with the same war time spirit ,Well if only:rant::rant::rant:

if you'd read my post properly I was referring to the latter part of the 19th century.

We had the largest navy in the world and built most of the worlds shipping.

Must put in the word Sheffield Bliz to keep on thread ,opps there it is LOL If we had lost the war only the fair head would have made it all the dark and brown eyes to be shiped HALF way cross the atlantic ,well thats the story going around at the time,and i know our Goverment wouldn't lie would they??

I was told a story about my granddad, but I haven't found anything to corroborate it.

He was an air raid warden and on that night he was returning from a cinema visit with my grandma when the sirens went off. He directed a group of people to the nearest shelter, then took my grandma home. As they got there a bomb fell nearby and their door was blown off, hitting my nan in the chest. Later that night the shelter he had sent the people to got a direct hit and everyone was killed.

When my nan got breast cancer and died not long after, my granddad blamed himself as he felt so guilty at being responsible for the deaths of the people in the shelter.

They lived on Lansdowne Rd (near The Moor) and had probably been to the Lansdowne cinema. I don't have any other details. I do wonder just how much was true. The story was told me by his daughter, my aunt. I would so love to know if there was any truth to it.

That is an AMAZING site. Thanks for the link.

For many years we had the belt with axe holder attached and the axe along with the steel helmet, now we've just got what is left of Dad's axe.

Many years ago my late Uncle Alec told how he sheltered under The Wicker Arches during a raid whilst walking home. He said a bomb dropped through the central arch but didn't explode.

I was told a story about my granddad, but I haven't found anything to corroborate it.

He was an air raid warden and on that night he was returning from a cinema visit with my grandma when the sirens went off. He directed a group of people to the nearest shelter, then took my grandma home. As they got there a bomb fell nearby and their door was blown off, hitting my nan in the chest. Later that night the shelter he had sent the people to got a direct hit and everyone was killed.

When my nan got breast cancer and died not long after, my granddad blamed himself as he felt so guilty at being responsible for the deaths of the people in the shelter.

They lived on Lansdowne Rd (near The Moor) and had probably been to the Lansdowne cinema. I don't have any other details. I do wonder just how much was true. The story was told me by his daughter, my aunt. I would so love to know if there was any truth to it.

It's very possible because that part of London Road and Sharrow got hit with a fair few bombs.

I can see that 3 shelters that got hit in that area. One at St Marys, One on Earl Street just off the Moor and one on Porter Street which I think was one of the roads behind Atkinsons. All of them had people who were killed.

Edited by not wanted

Thanks for that info, I will try and investigate further armed with the names of those shelters.

It was such a detailed story told by my aunt who would have been in her twenties at that time, so presumably knew all about it as it happened.

Anyone know how I can attaché a photo?
As Carosio suggested you can upload a JPEG etc. to an image hosting site such as photobucket or http://www.postimage.org and give a link. PM me your email address if you have any difficulty and I'll help..:) Edited by hillsbro