Sheffield blitz

Dear Helen or anyone who may have any info. My Great Anty Edna's Husband Frederick Spencer died on Charles street this same night. Does anyone one have any more info on this?

Fredrick Parkes-Spencer 36 Fireman; Sheffield Police Fire Brigade, died on 12th December 1940 at Charles Street.

Thanks 

Jo 

The Empire Theatre on Charles Street was damaged by a bomb on that night. I don't have any more direct information to hand at the moment but I'm sure there'll be more out there.

SPENCER, Frederick (Ex Police Sergeant, age 66).
     Died at 129 Bradway Road, Sheffield; Buried on October 15, 1942 in Consecrated ground;
     Grave Number 248, Section ABC of Woodhouse Stradbroke Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
     Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: Officiating Minister, J F Pegge.
     Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No ~

Find Similar in Same Grave             Same Household if Available            Surname Match if Available

SPENCER, Frederick Parker (Fireman, age 36).
     Died at 22 Fire Station; Buried on December 18, 1940 in Consecrated ground;
     Grave Number 248, Section ABC of Woodhouse Stradbroke Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
     Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: Officiating Minister, Harold Lee.
     Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No ~

Find Similar in Same Grave             Same Household if Available            Surname Match if Available

Here are his burial details courtesy of www.sheffieldindexers.com

Edited by DUFFEMS

On this web page https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Indexes/NE_WarDead/WarDeadByDate.html there is an index to the "Civilian War Dead Roll of Honour" for Northumberland, Durham and Yorkshire that includes "12 Dec 1940 Spencer, Frederick Parkes, 36 yrs. outside Empire Theatre, Sheffield". As Person6 noted the Empire Theatre was on Charles Street and was damaged in the bombing. Here is a link to a "picturesheffield" photo.  http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s01216&pos=1&action=zoom&id=5035 

The "1939 Register" finds Frederick P. Spencer, born 11 September 1904 and his wife Edna V. Spencer, born 21 March 1910, at "20/22 Fire Station Flats" on Rockingham Street in Sheffield.

Edited by hillsbro

You lot are going to have to help me out with this. 

I'm pretty sure its the old Taylors eye witness [ Milton Street ?]  building back of the Moor. on the corner where the religious text is carved into the wall.] {Legend has it in my family is that it was carved into the wall over a long period of time by the local copper]

Anyway my point is at floor level on the front of the building built into the wall is a steel plate resembling a manhole cover bearing embossed words to the effect that it a  covering or entrance to an air raid shelter  .  {I remember when I saw it thinking that it looked out of place and should be both rescued and preserved

Both worth a look in you are interested in Sheffield history,

Sorry for the vagueness but its a long time since I was down that way

.http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s26022&prevUrl=

Edited by Odd-jobs

I was born 31/08/1940. me and my mother were staying at my aunts on Collegiate Cres of Ecclesall rd on the night of the blitz w`e decided to go home to Worrall, a guy in Worrall had a car so he came to fetch us, I have bee told that we had an awful journey home dodging the bombs in Sheffieldwe arrived back in Worrall a few hours later, lucky to be alive.B.Couldwell.