Sheffield blitz

Kids in school, in fact everyone should read the above. Heroes all, proud to be a SHeffielder.

Kids in school, in fact everyone should read the above. Heroes all, proud to be a SHeffielder.

My Late father said you could hear the Shrapnel from our Ack Ack guns hitting the streets.

When I was a boy there was what was left of an Ack Ack position on the top of the hill above Parkwood Springs.

Edited by Ash Tray

was in Fullwood homes at the time we all stood on the green watching Sheffield in flames don't think any thing came east and hit Fullwood?? I/We had run away and was on the bottam on Penistone rd when the bombs hit wood st that must have been another time

My father was an auxiliary fireman although from Sheffield was station in Rotherham ,

My brother and I went to the picture palace in Heeley opposite the railway station and a sign appeared on the screen telling us the sirens had sounded, just as Mickey Rooney was climbing over the wood used to feed the steam engine fire to get at the robbers. We looked round and saw some girls sat there completely unconcerned so what could we do but ignore the warning. After the picture was over we went into the foyer and saw this woman with a couple of kids crying their eyes out, then we heard the bomb screaming down and a loud bang. We ran like a couple of greyhounds and dived under a lorry parked nearby. I was 11 years old, my brother 14 . We lay there terrified, then I was lifted up and carried into the air raid shelter under the railway arches where i sat on a wooden bench until it dawned on me, no brother. I pulled a policemans jacket and when he turned to look at me his face was covered in blood and black muck, he looked dead on his feet but I told him where my brother was and he went and carried him into the shelter, he was unconciuos from hitting his head on a girder.

I saw a body, or what was left of one, glued to the central post of a tram's boarding platform, he'd been electricuted when his foot touched the ground. I saw firemen just lying down in the middle of the Moor so exhausted they couldn't stand,. I found a wheel barrow and two of us managed to get this fireman in and we wheeled him into the corner of a burnt out Bank building. We found a bag of threppany bits under a steel girder and hid them for future recovery but somebody else must have found them, they were gone.

That Thursday night was a night of horror, a night when people did the most extraordinary feats of bravery, where the W.V.S. set up their vans all over the city centre and gave out gallons upon gallons of hot tea. It was a night that is imprinted in my memory as if it happened yesterday.

Most of us of that era hate war and I for one would have no hesitation in, and enjoying, shoving Blair into a cell and turning the key then throwing it away.

different reaction from others at my age I knew that Britain was best and would win in the end

My brother and I went to the picture palace in Heeley opposite the railway station and a sign appeared on the screen telling us the sirens had sounded, just as Mickey Rooney was climbing over the wood used to feed the steam engine fire to get at the robbers. We looked round and saw some girls sat there completely unconcerned so what could we do but ignore the warning. After the picture was over we went into the foyer and saw this woman with a couple of kids crying their eyes out, then we heard the bomb screaming down and a loud bang. We ran like a couple of greyhounds and dived under a lorry parked nearby. I was 11 years old, my brother 14 . We lay there terrified, then I was lifted up and carried into the air raid shelter under the railway arches where i sat on a wooden bench until it dawned on me, no brother. I pulled a policemans jacket and when he turned to look at me his face was covered in blood and black muck, he looked dead on his feet but I told him where my brother was and he went and carried him into the shelter, he was unconciuos from hitting his head on a girder.

I saw a body, or what was left of one, glued to the central post of a tram's boarding platform, he'd been electricuted when his foot touched the ground. I saw firemen just lying down in the middle of the Moor so exhausted they couldn't stand,. I found a wheel barrow and two of us managed to get this fireman in and we wheeled him into the corner of a burnt out Bank building. We found a bag of threppany bits under a steel girder and hid them for future recovery but somebody else must have found them, they were gone.

That Thursday night was a night of horror, a night when people did the most extraordinary feats of bravery, where the W.V.S. set up their vans all over the city centre and gave out gallons upon gallons of hot tea. It was a night that is imprinted in my memory as if it happened yesterday.

Most of us of that era hate war and I for one would have no hesitation in, and enjoying, shoving Blair into a cell and turning the key then throwing it away.

Another Sheffield story that deserves to be preserved so as people of future generations will know that life in Great Britain used to be a very different experiance.

Anyone know how I can attaché a photo?

Basically, you have to upload it to a photo-sharing site like photobucket, copy the link, then paste it onto your post.

different reaction from others at my age I knew that Britain was best and would win in the end

We didn't win Flyer, we lost everything. Churchill shipped all the gold we had to the USA to pay for war machines. America won, it got them out of a deep depression and us and Germany with nothing. Homes and factories destroyed and penniless, we had to go begging to the world bank for handouts.

We didn't win Flyer, we lost everything. Churchill shipped all the gold we had to the USA to pay for war machines. America won, it got them out of a deep depression and us and Germany with nothing. Homes and factories destroyed and penniless, we had to go begging to the world bank for handouts.

We should have declared war on the US in 1945, surrendered at 1200 noon and then applied for Marshall aid.

---------- Post added 10-02-2014 at 21:41 ----------

What is really depressing is that in the space of 40-50 years we went from being the most powerful country in the world to bankrupt.

no but all i'm saying is the mind of a 9yeay old boy ,one of the best movies Ihave seen "Land Of Hope and Glory"sort of think yes i was there and says it all ,mind not to bright a lad:D:D