Has Hendersons Relish changed?

All those ingredients are added in order to give a flavour to sell the product ; all of which are not one iota of good to anyones health . Remove these flavours and your taste buds will get used to them , whilst your system will benefit from the improved quality of the food.

So, how come hendersons now uses saccharin:huh:

So, how come hendersons now uses saccharin:huh:

Er, they've been using saccharin since the second world war, when sugar was rationed.

I hang my head in shame but this afternoon I poured my last two bottles of Relish over our garden here in Brittany! Born and bred up to 29 years of age in Sheffield it's been a staple of my life. Relatives who still live in Sheffield bring it over every year. However, as a 66 year old it doesn't taste the same, it seems to lack something. So I've changed over to Worcestershire sauce which has a definite kick to it like Henderson's did years ago.

BE :sad:

Your guilty conscience does you proud . At least your confession shows that you have some remorse . However, with your final comment you have most certainly sold your soul to the *****.

WHAT CRAP !

WHAT ! CRAP ?

Hendersons relish has not one " E " number .

Totally untrue. Hendersons contains E954.

Henderson's Relish if foul muck. I think you have to be brought up with it to appreciate it and it says it all that it's never found a market outside of the Sheffield region, whilst the Worcestershire stuff has a worldwide market.

It just tastes like vinegary caramel to me, which is what it is.

if you don't like hendersons your not from Sheffield, but your right outside Sheffield it's hard to find, if it wasn't for hendersons stews, casseroles, meat and potato pie would never have been invented,nor would cheese on toast, it can be used for dozens of dishes

Never mind that the casserole predate Hendersons by 2600 years.

The thing about Henderson's is, it makes for an awful tasting Bloody Mary, and it's no good as an avocado dressing. So as a subsitute for L&P Worcestershire Sauce, it's a non-starter.

I was quite enamoured of it, for a time, but compared to the relish of only 15 years ago, today's bottles taste thin and saccharine, not something I consume with relish.

A point in its favour is that it's vegan. If you're a vegan. I'm not.

I totally get the "it's made in Sheffield and therefore beyond criticism" schtick, it's almost endearing, cute even.

But let's face facts: Hendersons is a cheap imitation cashing in on L&P, right down to the orange label with black writing.

I hang my head in shame but this afternoon I poured my last two bottles of Relish over our garden here in Brittany! Born and bred up to 29 years of age in Sheffield it's been a staple of my life. Relatives who still live in Sheffield bring it over every year. However, as a 66 year old it doesn't taste the same, it seems to lack something. So I've changed over to Worcestershire sauce which has a definite kick to it like Henderson's did years ago.

BE :sad:

I disagree with this, I am from Sheffield but now live in the Northern Isles and when I first came here I tried Worcester sauce and thought it was poor stuff. A friend sends me Hendersons relish up from Sheffield and in the last few years quite a few shops up here now stock it. I find it just as good as it always was.

Totally untrue. Hendersons contains E954.

.... i.e. saccharine.

Dan

It isn't even a relish!!!

It is fairly bland and uninspiring if we are honest. I feel sorry for any one who thinks that this "makes" a dish, as I guess you are not fortunate enough to be a great cook.

I have no strong feeling either way (I am not from Sheffield). I think that people from Sheffield feel pressured into liking it, like the Scots and Irn Bru.

.... i.e. saccharine.

Dan

Yum! Saccharine. The sine qua non of culinary additives.

still at least someone bothered to look it up

The quality has certainly deteriorated in recent years. Same can be said for almost anything in the supermarkets, corners are been cut, product sizes are getting smaller... prices are going up.

PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT. I would rather pay the true price and get the proper product than a cheaper price for an inferior product.

It used to contain anchovies if I remember correctly. They removed them to make it vegan I am guessing and in doing so lost what was a huge hit in the umami flavouring of it. Not as much body to it in flavour IMHO.

It definitely tastes different to how it used to but I still love it all the same.

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 16:21 ----------

Bald Eagle, and anyone who likes Hendos/Lea & Perrins... if you haven't tried the extra mature L&P yet, do yourself a favour and get down to Waitrose and buy some. It's absolutely incredible.

Google Lea and Perrins special edition, comes in a matt black finish bottle.

It's more expensive than their normal version but when you taste it I'm sure you'll agree and see it's worth every single penny.