Has Hendersons Relish changed?

just found out today apparently a butchers in york sells it, some place in goathland does and the food weigh shop in the centre of whitby does too

just found out today apparently a butchers in york sells it, some place in goathland does and the food weigh shop in the centre of whitby does too

Despite some of the comments on this thread about the product being " Naff", there is still a heavy demand for it .

We have a local store , which is one of a high standard and quality, which has a high turnover .

Obviously it is a good quality product which is appreciated by many pallets.

A matter of "taste " , one might say. But a proven one .

After reading this I bought a bottle of Lea and Perrins this weekend and have to agree that it's much tastier than Hendersons.

I was a bit dismayed to learn that Lea & Perrins has been owned by Heinz since 2005. Well if they never mess with the recipe then that's alright.

Will Hendersons be keeping their Leavygreave Road site?

I think they have to for the secret pipeline to the recently built Sheffield Bio-Incubator across the road. Who knows what foul liquids pass between the two facilities through that pipeline.

If you don't believe me then go and look. There is a line of new tarmac crossing the road where it was dug up for the secret pipeline.

Edited by Nagel

I was a bit dismayed to learn that Lea & Perrins has been owned by Heinz since 2005. Well if they never mess with the recipe then that's alright.

Will Hendersons be keeping their Leavygreave Road site?

I think they have to for the secret pipeline to the recently built Sheffield Bio-Incubator across the road. Who knows what foul liquids pass between the two facilities through that pipeline.

If you don't believe me then go and look. There is a line of new tarmac crossing the road where it was dug up for the secret pipeline.

OUCH Leamington in sunny south Ontario as been the tomato capital for over 100yrs Those greedy ******** Heinz not making enough millions have just closed their main plant down and are going to Mexico for cheap workers ALL the fields in the south and mexico are watered by sewer run so be well warned the Heinz Ketchup will never be the same:gag::gag:

Teatime last night, Hendersons on meat & tater pie as usual. New bottle opened (dated 02/10/16). Surprised to find it had very little taste! There is allways a residue in the bottom thats why it says "shake well". In the new bottle there was no residue and the relish was clearer. Do hope they haven't changed the recipe. Taking it back to the supermarket together with the bill hoping it was a bad batch.

not very secret then :P

Henderson's Relish lists saccharin as an ingredient. I doubt that was in the original recipe.

Why do you doubt it was in the original? It was the first artificial sweetener, it had been around for 10 years when Henderson's started. Regulations over listing all ingredients are stricter now than they were back then, maybe it was in all along.

Edited by anywebsite

I knew it wasn't just me who thought that it couldn't be the way it tasted. Ha !

(Ok, going back to my shell. Point noted. :hihi: )

They shouldn't go down that route of replacing ingredients, which is what made so many companies lose out cos it is not what they say any more, and there is no point going down that road of expansion and regulation, if afterall it has a long history of heritage to begin with.

I am sure that soy sauce was not brewed in vacuum conditions many moons ago, but it still uses the same basic ingredients and that never change.

Henderson's need a proper food scientist who will protect its heritage, that is for sure ! If they do not protect their own company secrets in the manufacturing, one day it will just be taken and collapsed anyway and took over by Heinz or other. I hope it wouldn't happen that way. Really.

Perhaps Hendo's fans should have a protest, about the taste of the "new" recipe, outside the factory. It worked when Coca Cola introduced a new recipe.

I don't remember Coca Cola fans protesting outside Henderson's factory. When did that happen?

I hang my head in shame but this afternoon I poured my last two bottles of Relish over our garden here in Brittany! Born and bred up to 29 years of age in Sheffield it's been a staple of my life. Relatives who still live in Sheffield bring it over every year. However, as a 66 year old it doesn't taste the same, it seems to lack something. So I've changed over to Worcestershire sauce which has a definite kick to it like Henderson's did years ago.

BE :sad:

You should be ashamed of yourself! I would ban you for such comments. Are you a southerner?

To mikebatty, where abouts in spain?