Has Hendersons Relish changed?

I hang my head in shame but this afternoon I poured my last two bottles of Relish over our garden here in Brittany! Born and bred up to 29 years of age in Sheffield it's been a staple of my life. Relatives who still live in Sheffield bring it over every year. However, as a 66 year old it doesn't taste the same, it seems to lack something. So I've changed over to Worcestershire sauce which has a definite kick to it like Henderson's did years ago.

BE :sad:

Henderson's Relish if foul muck. I think you have to be brought up with it to appreciate it and it says it all that it's never found a market outside of the Sheffield region, whilst the Worcestershire stuff has a worldwide market.

It just tastes like vinegary caramel to me, which is what it is.

Henderson's Relish if foul muck. I think you have to be brought up with it to appreciate it and it says it all that it's never found a market outside of the Sheffield region, whilst the Worcestershire stuff has a worldwide market.

It just tastes like vinegary caramel to me, which is what it is.

ive found a couple of fans of it at work :)

they arent from sheffield lol

I hang my head in shame but this afternoon I poured my last two bottles of Relish over our garden here in Brittany! Born and bred up to 29 years of age in Sheffield it's been a staple of my life. Relatives who still live in Sheffield bring it over every year. However, as a 66 year old it doesn't taste the same, it seems to lack something. So I've changed over to Worcestershire sauce which has a definite kick to it like Henderson's did years ago.

BE :sad:

Don't feel sad, only deluded Northern idiots still insist Henderson's is anything other than Brown water.

Ive started threads on here before saying Hendo's isn't the same and it still isn't

Ive started threads on here before saying Hendo's isn't the same and it still isn't

So true. As I've said before, it hasn't had any strength since the days when you had to make your own hole in the top.

After a browse on some older threads I don't feel so bad now!! :) Was funny last night watching the local feral cats licking the ground where I had poured it! :roll:

I think it depends on how long it has been stored

I think it tastes different now, but is it like the old Waggon Wheels being bigger when we were little?

Our taste does become jaded as time passes, I remember finding Victory Vs

quite hot as a youngster, not now :hihi:

Hendersons is still a favourite in our house, and always will be. If you want it

stronger (like it used to be?) leave the top off and let the vinegar evaporate

a bit.

Well hendersons is still used in my house, I appreciate it's perhaps a little different from how I remember it as a boy but fish fingers and chips just wouldn't be the same without it. What I want to know is, when one buys a quarter of yorkshire mixture, how come there's not as many fish in there, it's just broken rock and pear drops!!

I think it tastes different now, but is it like the old Waggon Wheels being bigger when we were little?

Our taste does become jaded as time passes, I remember finding Victory Vs

quite hot as a youngster, not now :hihi:

Hendersons is still a favourite in our house, and always will be. If you want it

stronger (like it used to be?) leave the top off and let the vinegar evaporate

a bit.

The reason that Victory Vs used to be much hotter was they had ether and chloroform as ingredients. That's not allowed any more so the VVs are much milder.

Henderson's Relish lists saccharin as an ingredient. I doubt that was in the original recipe.